HybridZ

Megasquirters: Moby, Forrest, et al...

Tony D

What operating system is on the computer you use to interface with the MS box?

This is a copy of the cross-posted item I left with both yahoo groups just now, curious what you guys are using:

XP SOFTWARE INCOMPATIBILITY?

I was wondering....

Is the MTSS susceptible to "false" tach readings when run on Windows XP?

I have been tracing a "terrible" tach jumping (as well as other things)for about the last several months, and recently came upon the RPM CALC while browsing one day. Watching RPM CALC, it was steady, and as Magnus said it was the PC's interpretation of the Hi-Res tach output.

Thinking further (dangerous...) I figured to give a Win98 laptop a try. Well, no more jumping. There is the occasional misfire-induced jump, which I can probably remedy with the standard filtering schemes.

Problem is, do I need to partition my HD and boot in 98 to run these programs? This seems to have solved the problems I was having in standard Megatune, and MTSS. The tach is very steady now (on WIN98), and the RPM CALC is doing what I would expect a hires signal to do: have rapidly moving tens and ones digit count tracking the rpm, but now the Engine Speed RPM is steady.

What gives?

Thanks, Tony D.

If the MS interfaces through the serial port... it may not be the operating system causing the problem. The signal voltage on all serial ports and parallel ports are not all the same. I emulate a smart card for my satelite dish wich also is constantly sending data through the serial port. On my laptop its rock solid, never a problem. But on the computer I have in my entertainment center, I had to solder a small cap across 2 pins of the atmel chip in order to smooth things out because without it, that computer saw a horribly corrupted data stream.

Same goes for parallel ports for burning the chips I use. Some of my computers will work fine with any other parallel device, but won't burn an eeprom without trying several times.

It may still be the OS, but I wouldn't rule that out either.

"small cap" like a 102 or 103 on the tx and rx pins? Been there, didn't clean anything up at all.

Yeah, I have been the "scope the hell out of it" and am damned to find anything that would explain this...

But changed over to a Wni98SE laptop this morning, and no more erratic tach action, no more jumping this or that.....

Hence the question on O.S. Thusfar, everyone is NOT using XP (though I thought W2K was the same, I guess not)

I am uploading the latest software for MTSS here in a few minutes to see if the latest software on my computer still does the same thing. That is the other variable as the 98SE has the latest MTSS version (3.02 I believe) but the Megatune is still good ole 2.20, which is what I currently have on my XP Laptop, but it's showing crazy nuts....

Which brings us back to that Win98SE, W2K thing. :?

All I have to say is that if this was software all this time.... I'm gonna shoot something.

Many times! :x

Sounds like XP at least changed the way it handles serial comms =) I would be pretty upset too if I had the headache you have been having and tried everything you have tried so far only to find out it was only software. XP may be my problem too since I use it on all my systems, it could just be erratic with certain chipsets, since it does work with some.

It's gotta be the laptop and WinXP. I have loaded the same versions of software onto my laptop that I loaded onto JeffP's Win98SE machine, and it's STILL doing the same thing.

But on the Win98 machine all is well. :x

Looks like it's "system commander" and a Win98SE partition for me...

I hope it's not the chipset like you mentioned, then it's off to computer swapmeet for the absolutely CHEAPEST box I can find.

So much for "Cheap EFI!" :shock:

I wouldent think it would be XP causeing the problem because someone said earlier they are using win2k. win2k and winXP are very similar when it comes to the way everything works. win98 to win2k however was a huge jump and pretty much everything about the operating system changed. Therefore my vote goes to the serial voltage. You could always partition and try it though, wouldent hurt.

Guest bastaad525

Use Partition Magic, if you weren't already planning on it. Great app that lets you make partitions without formatting or messing with anything, you do it right from windows... I LOVE that program

Also, and I know this is a general, very oppinionated statement, but I absolutely HATE xp!!! I've run 98SE and Win2K for a very long time and my problems are few and far between (most of them being with 98 of course) but with XP nothing seemed to want to work right. I mean lots of little things, software and hardware, either didn't work or didn't work the way they were supposed to. This was about a year after it came out and they had already released service packs and such to fix compatibility. Win2K and XP are supposed to be built from the same bricks, but I dont have any of the problems with 2K that XP had.

When my company switched to XP, I was one of the first programmers to have to deal with the XP upgrade, and what it did to VB utilizing/testing COM components was a mess - I figured out what needed to be done, but just upgrading to XP would not allow what had worked on 2000 in the development environment - had to manually create a package and drop the component into it in order for it to work in the development environment. With 2000, no pproblem - code the component and run it...