HybridZ

Hows the MSD 6A? Good bad indifferent

Here are two very different situations, but may be worth it to hear them. A buddy of mine just did a full day on the dyno and his low hp carbed L4 gained 7 hp from MSD vs Nissan elec ignition. I put it on my Z when I had SU's and got 32 mpg on a long trip. Just once, but still, 32 mpg!!!

I would suggest the 6AL unless the turbo already has a rev limiter, or you just don't rev that high. The bad part about these comparisons is that they were both carbed L series, and the multiple spark probably plays a much bigger role in carbed engines, since they don't atomize fuel as well. I do understand that it is harder to throw a spark with lots of boost, so it might help there. Maybe you could run a wider plug gap???

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

The 6A is a good unit. I got it myself for the multi spark andthe ability to run a bigger coil. I have had zero problems with the unit. I will say one thing tho, under high boost I had to set the plug gap to .025 to stop misfires.

the msd unit works quite well in that it truly offers miltiple sparks at low rpm and much stronger spark thru out. they seem to be very durable as well. The higher the boost, the more useful the unit.

When I installed mine the idle did get a little smoother. but if car is idling rough there could be another problem. Either way, I think it's a good investment, specially if you turn the boost up.

So Jeff, you are running a gap of 0.025 wow, that's quite small, last time I tried a small gap it did not do too well. Maybee I will try 0.030 again (perhaps it was not the smaller gap) since my car sometimes boggs down at high boost. Off course I'm running much less boost than you are (15psi vs you're 23 psi or so :shock:

• 2 weeks later...