HybridZ

Track tonight, with Drag Radials...

Jersey

Hey all. So i broke down and bought a set of BFG DR's 235/60/15's and slapped them on a pair of turbo rims (thanks Rags) yesterday. They are about the widest i can go with coils and not rolling the fender. The 26" height should put me right were i want to be in the RPM range through the trap with the T5 and 3.54. Any of you fast guys with some launching experience on these? How much should i heat 'em up? These things are sticky. Hope to get a good 60' and put this thing in the solid mid 12's tonight! Hoping anyway. Running the stock T3 at about 17psi. My compression readings are about 162 across all 6 so i think i have a little more torque than standard, if that info helps for suggestions. Wish i could load the T3 up a bit on boost at launch time but with the T5 and not stong enough E-brake to hold me back, there's really no way. Any tips would be appreciated.

On my car I run 275/50/15 nitto 555dr's and I have found that for them to get a really good hook I need to spin them up for about 10 to 15 seconds with plenty of water on them (in the water box).

burnout.jpg

Let the other guy heat his tires first then heat yours after he starts, he whould be staged as you finish your burnout, then you stage last so your tires are still as hot as possible. You will also find that you need to increase your launch rpm or you will bog the engine because those tires are going to grab and not spin like your street tires.

Dragonfly

On my car I run 275/50/15 nitto 555dr's and I have found that for them to get a really good hook I need to spin them up for about 10 to 15 seconds with plenty of water on them (in the water box).

10 to 15 seconds? That sounds like overkill but whatever works for you. I ran both Nittos and BFGs and I got them damp (on the edge of the waterbox), turn them over to get away from the water, spun them hard for a count of 3 on the line-loc, then spun them up to the line. Mid-1.50s with no problem and about 9,000 miles on the Nittos.

12.47 @ 111mph. Exhausted (1am) Awesome hookup with the DR's at 20psi which I could barely spin to heat 'em up. Perfect size for my setup but i could only pull a 1.9 60'. I think i can get 1.8-1.7 with some work but, i have no idea how you guys are pulling 1.3-1.6 60' times unless you're automatics and can build boost at launch. I figured out i really only needed to spin them a little just to wipe them off and they were good to go. Humidity was near 90% tonight which i'm sure the T3 didn't like very much. I have video and the timeslip which i'll post soon. Thanks for all the info guys. Very fun night. Any of you want to see how much your Z is admired, bring it to Jersey. They were so curious tonight :)

I tried it first at 3500rpm and she bogged :) Then i raised it to around 4k which seemed better then i tried a little higher, around 4300 and it seemed good. I didn't just drop the clutch though. I kind of slipped it a little bit. Guess i was worried a little that i would snap something if i just popped it with the traction i was getting. Should i looking to get 1.7 60's with the 5sp?

The best 60' I managed to cut to date is a 1.79x with the same BFG's. I was launching around 5k or so and ran them between 16-18 psi. My burn outs consisted of only a few seconds as I could not power brake with the rear disk brakes (didn't want to stress them out) and I was running an LSD. Unfortunately, I started breaking rear end stuff and had to begin babying it off the line...

Anyway, 12.4 on the stocker is truly amazing!! Keep representing!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock: LEN!! that is awsome man.. Is that the fastest time with a T3 in a Z with out nitrious? I cannot wait to see the vid from that. Was your cousin there with his turbo Z? Wow. talk about giving hope to guys like me still running the T3. :2thumbs: I bet the people at the track just could not believe what they were seeing..LOL

I run the same size drag radial on my car and I have found 12 psi to work the best. They are good for 1.5 to 1.6 60'.

Mike

Wow! For the life of me' date=' I can't get better than a 1.89 60' with my BFG drag radials.[/quote']

Thats about what I get, but I don't let alot of air out of them.

Thanks much for the props guys. Stock L28et, P90, T3, ECU. I'll get the slip and video up in the morning from work. I think that may be the reason i'm not cutting those real low 60' times Z-Gad, because i know if i really let the clutch fly, stuff is going to start snapping and i drive the Z to the track. I should really bring my trailer but, i just cant get myself to trailer my daily driver. Guess thats the next step and just let that clutch rip, huh? lol. Gabe - my cousin couldn't make it - his wife gave birth to their third that morning! I swear she'll do anything to keep him from going to the track :wink: lol. So many people came by to check the car out, it was funny. A lot of the younger guys really had no idea what kind of car it was because you just dont see the older Z's on the road here in Jersey. It was fun. Thanks again guys.

If I just "let 'er rip" with the clutch, I get wheelspin into oblivion. My 60' goes to 2.3 seconds when that happens. I can't let the tires spin at all. I don't know, maybe I can't modulate the tire grip very well.

My best 60's with drag radials to date are 20psi, slipping the clutch slightly from 3500-4000 rpm, and very little wheelspin. If I drop the clutch, like in a money run, the 60' is shot and the run is lost.

I have no doubt that Scotty is correct about me overkilling my burnouts a little (or alot). What I have to try to keep in mind when I reply to a post like this is that I have a lot less horse power than most of the people on here. That is one of the reasons I need to keep my tires very wet while doing a burnout, the length of time I heat my tires has to do with intimidation as a lot of the cars I race are capable of beating me but when I can intimidate the driver... I do pull 1.9x 60ft times while most of my compitition pull 2.xx 60ft's, but I only run 8.9's in the 1/8th (my local track is a parking lot) at 75-76 mph.

One of these days I will have enough power in my car to allow me to have some of the same concerns as many of you guys but until then I am going to continue to psych-out who ever finds themselves lined up against me.

Dragonfly

So even with the DR's Sleeper, she still spins like crazy if you let the clutch fly, huh? Guess i'm just going to really have to go back to the track and find out what happens. You probably have much more HP than me so maybe i'll be ok. Thanks for the props in the other post BTW. So Dragonfly, you were just trying to psych me out me before i went to the track, eh? :wink: Nice. Note to self: dont take Dragonfly's advice :D

Nah I'm not trying to psych you out :D just telling you exactly how I prep for each of my runs, and trying to help you psych out your opponent although with runs like your pulling I don't think you need to worry about psyching them out.

Those were some impressive runs and I think as you practice you are going to find out how much you need to heat your tires and at what rpm you get your best launch at etc.

BTW since my dragstrip is a parking lot there is virtualy no traction off the line for anyone so it is very common at the racelegal drags (where I race) for people to do very long burnouts to help them get more grip on thier launch.

Dragonfly