HybridZ

New Car Dilemma, Opinions Welcome

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

My dad and I recently decided that we wanted another car to keep the milage off of our own. Originally we were going to just get a semi-decent used car that was a little sporty. But last week, my dad saw the lease prices being offered right now, and decided that he'd lease a fairly decent car. This is particularly odd because my dad has never been the leasing type, he always thought it to be a waste of money. However, he's also always driven pretty stripped-down cars (nissan sentra hatchback, stripped down chevy tracker) so that he could spend his money other places. This time, he just got sick of it and decided to get something nice, which to him means air conditioning (he's never had it in his own car).

Therefore, we started our quest of narrowing down our search. We decided more than 2 seats, powerful and sporty, and not ridiculously impractical otherwise. We're looking for cars in the $25,000 range, as they lease right around what we're looking to pay.

So the question is:

Subaru WRX- ~$300/month

Honda Accord Coupe (V6/6 spd. manual)- ~$340/month

Mazda RX-8 (manual)- ~$330/month

What would you get? They all have their pros and cons, and I'm sure we'd be happy with any of them. I just figured I'd ask the wonderful people at Hybridz for their opinions, as they're usually right. Also, any comments from owners of these cars or suggestions of cars we've missed would be appreciated.

PS- Don't say "hey, get a 350Z!" I tried talking him into that one 1000 times. He doesn't like that its only a 2-seater, and he also is uncomfortable with all of the negative press and talk they've generated for being mechanically....inept. The last thing he wants is to dump a bunch of money into repairs on a lease.

Guest Phailure

If you're going to get a WRX, I think you should drop a little more money on the evo instead. Also, you might consider the v6 altima or maxima. But personally.... id just go with the rx-8... give me 9k redline anyday

Guest bastaad525

Dodge SRT-4.

*pause for someones inevitable laughter*

Seriously. VERY cheap at around $21k, just about as fast (some magazines show it being faster) than a 350z, as well as being faster than the three choices you listed. Very easy to upgrade to make it even faster, nice sporty FOUR DOOR compact car. I've been hanging around some SRT forums as of late (SERIOULSY considering getting one of these, and possibly parting with my Z to get the down payment for it) just to see how they are faring, and they are actually doing very good on the reliability scale, though I do spot problems when people start going crazy modding them... If I buy one it will remain stock, I think :D . They handle nice too (again, most mags peg them as not being far off the pace of, say, a 350z in skidpad, slalom, and braking tests, though a little 'softer' feeling), and time and again they have been tested against similiarly priced 'rivals' in car mags, civics, suby's, focus's, mazda's... and consistenly come to the decision that the SRT represents the largest fun factor and bang for the buck out of all of them. I've always vowed I would never own another american car, let alone a dodge, but this one may just be the one to change my mind.

Alternatively, out of your choices I'd pick the RX-8... not the fastest (and notice how mazda keeps lowering the hp rating they gave it) but I've read it handles like a dream and is a very well balanced package, winning out over rivals the 350z and honda s2000. I'd stay away from the suby... working for a tow truck company the amount of subies we tow regularly suggests to me they are NOT the most reliable cars on the road (yet we haven't towed ONE SRT-4 that I know of as of yet), and who the hell wants to own a honda... just like everyone else????

comeandzpa - seriously, take some time to investigate the SRT-4... the thing just kicks ass for the price, and check around on the SRT forum to see just what they are capable of, and what owners are saying about reliability thus far. For '04 they bumped up power and added a LSD standard, as well... with 230+hp and 250+ torque (might be off on the numbers) it really is a good deal at just over $20k...

get the WRX wagon, it's cheaper than the sedan and you can haul loads of stuff. Get the receiver hitch and a little 4x8 trailer an you are set! That is what I am considering. Better gass milage than my Explorer and a great daily driver till my z is done.

Guest Phailure

the wrx may be good for snow and what not but it comes with very soft springs and probably will not handle as well as you hope. The 2002-2003 models came with very poor tires which affected handling but I am not sure about the 2004 models. Also the whole subaru glass mission thing makes launching the car risky :? Other than that, the wrx is pretty sweet. If you need a car that can handle snow, then the wrx is a good choice, although it doesnt have traction control like the lancer

Guest comeandzpa

Thanks for all the replies! A few clarifications:

1) winter driving would normally be a problem in our area, but my dad has a Tracker with 4WD so that isn't much of a problem.

2) bastaad- I tried talking him into checking out the SRT. He knows its a good bargain and has great performance, but he still doesn't like the fact that it's a Dodge. The interior quality just isn't what he's looking for this time around. As for owning a Honda "like everyone else," we've seen very few Accord coupes, especially with the manual transmission. If we were looking at a Civic, that'd be different. Actually, if we were looking at a Civic I might check myself into a hospital.

3) we looked into Altimas/Maximas. The Altimas didn't do much for him and we both find the new Maximas to be horrifically ugly. Especially the ones with the backwards sunroof.... :weird::puke:

4) we looked into the Mini Cooper, but our closest dealer is about 2 hours away and that's a little more driving than we'd like to do.

5) we stopped by the Scion dealer yesterday but they didn't have any tCs. The supercharged version is supposed to have 200 HP, and it's supposed to have great fit and finish all around. Something we'll look into before it's too late.

A few driving notes: The WRX is fun because it's a turbo. When the boost hits, it really throws you back in your seat. And speaking of seats, the recaros are amazing. However, it doesn't drive as smoothly as the Honda or as handle as nicely as the Mazda. The Honda is nice because it's got good power and pretty good gas milage. It's the most luxurious, and comes with the most features. However, it's front wheel drive and a large car, and it drives like it. There is noticable torque steer when you really get on it, and when you drive it it just feels like you're driving a big car. The Mazda is sweet because it's so different. The "freestyle" (suicide) rear doors are a nice touch, it's got unique styling, and one hell of a screaming engine. The interior is fairly well appointed and comes with things like side-impact curtains. When you drive it, the handling is incredible. It stays glued to the road like nothing I've ever driven. Also, the suspension is surprisingly not harsh over bumps.

It's probably going to come down to a foot race between Mazda and Honda to see who can give us the best deal. The dealerships are pretty much right across the street from each other, and are both owned by the same person. This makes it really nice and easy for us to bother both at the same time. Time will tell.

PS- still taking thoughts, just figured I'd chime in here. I couldn't elaborate too much last night cause I don't think/type so well at 2:30 AM.

Guest bastaad525

yeah for a coupe I think the Scion tC is also a really nice car... I'd definately include that in the list if they are going to be available soon? Too bad he's against the SRT... To me interior isn't as important as having that rush of nimble, fast car, but yeah now that you mention it that is one of the mroe commonly complained about areas of the SRT. I'd still take it over the Suby in a heartbeat.

RX-8 or tC then... screw the accord

Guest bastaad525

My friend has a black xB... they are odd... yeah cool and different but... I wouldn't drive one.

I actually jokingly suggested to my friend that he get some vinyl stickers made up to decorate his xB and make it look like an Xbox.... The green decal on top, xbox logo and some controller ports on the front.... he actually likes the idea :D

Having just purchased an '04 WRX I think I'm a bit biased. When you say WRX are you meaning WRX... or STi? The sticker on mine was 25k, but they have 'dealer incentives' right now and are really looking to move remaining '04's. Might could get a good deal. It's a great car! I don't find the ride very mushy or un-responsive at all. It has a nice hp/torque curve, is all wheel drive, and there are alot of things you could do to upgrade the car... from mild to wild.

Whatever you decide on, though... enjoy!

Keith