HybridZ

Well, Im an idiot.. check out the dumage..

datsunlover

I decided to put a rear sway bar in my 75 280z. From a 72 240z. So I figure out a way to get the thing in there, and say "well, I'll just deal with the scraping sound (from the bar rubbing between the spare tire well and mustash bar as it flexed) and though it would be ok. I though that was to be the only problem...No no no... :cry:

So I went for a cruise last night, and in an attempt to show off to a couple of kids in a parking lot (as I was leaving this guy yells out 'comon man! lets see a burnout!) and I drop the clutch at 4500. BANG screeeeee... and away I go in a cloud of smoke. Me and my buddy look at eachother.. Hmm... what was that 'bang'? That was new.. Oh well, whatever.. so as I drive home, I take a REALLY hard right hander as fast as I can (felt great, car pulled good, stuck to the road, felt like driving a race car, ect) and as I come out of the corner, we smell this really funky smell.. couldnt decribe it.. but the oil p. was up, temp was good, so I just kept driving....and the smell vanished...

Today, I go out there to pull off the rear sway bar (selling it to someone who can use it PROPERLY on their 240Z) and oh crap.... I find this...

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=178&pos=4

yup.. ripped the boot apart (actually, its GONE.. nothing left but the ends) and sprayed all the grease all over the exhast pipe. Well, at least I figured out what the smell was from last night! I guess that I spun/rubbed the drive shaft ON the sway bar ALL the way through that corner (started at 3000 in second, came out of the corner at 4000 in 3d.. yah, long corner) I dont know if it can be saved.. I'll look at it tomorrow and see.. Im just too :evil: right now to think about it. The passenger side looks ok, just a light scoring and the boot is ripped, but not gone. Man I am pissed off... and feel like a moron too. :roll:

Dude, sorry to hear about that. at least you didnt get grease on your tires and lost control or something like that.

In response to Zguy's ebay link...They quoted the shipping weight at 40 pounds, sounds like what you save on the initial cost you make up for in shipping.

Just my .02

Yah, and Im in Canada, so no dice for me. (says 'ship to USA only') Ah well.. the stock bar it is.. for now... :cry: As for the 'not looking after a big bang' I'v gotten used to hearing a slight bang from the low hanging exhast every once in a while, and I figured thats all it was.. a little louder than ussual I thought.. but didnt think it would be the sway bar! :lol: Man this sucks... I'm hoping I can find a boot with a split in it, so I dont have to take the whole dam thing apart...

I did a split boot on my '93 Jeep G/C last year and it looks close to that one. Take measurements from yours and go the Crapy Tire store.

As for the bar, you could relay it up. I could pick it up from someone at the border and pass up north of the city...just a thought.

Yah, I went up there tonite and got a boot that lookes close.. I'll see it fits tomorrow... And as for the sway bar, I have to get some other things taken care of first like the air filter, carb work, wheels and tires (Im suposed to be getting some swastikas from a guy on here but I'm waiting for a buddy of mine.. also a trucker.. to get a run close to the seller, so he can pick them up for me) but I'll keep you in mind if I need something like that... Thanks man! BTW.. we have to get together sometime eh? :lol: You heading up this way anytime soon?

• 2 months later...

When will I learn to check with the forum before I make changes? In preparation for some track time I reinstalled my 240 rear bar that has been out since the CV axle conversion. Well you guessed it. First shakedown run ripped both outter boots on the axles :x I spent last night replacing the axles and removing (again) the rear bar.

Joe

Yeah, don't beat yourself up too bad over that, Breaking a few things is part of the fun.

I've got a stock rear bar with poly bushings on my Z, and a front sway bar from a 2+2, and I'm very happy with the way it feels. I can't imagine what the car would be like with more roll stiffness than it already has, it seems rock solid to me. So unless you're really building an all-out autocross car, I the stock bar and good bushings are a good choice.

Just my .02. Good luck with your repairs, and don't worry, used halfshafts are cheap. It's the correct flange bolts from nisssan that are pricey! (However, I highly recomend buying the halfshaft hareware kit if you round off those bolts taking them out. I had to cut off three of mine!)

Just to add a tale to this one.... I chewed up the outer boots when I first did the CV conversion, by not paying attention to the emergency brake cables.

They were touching the CV shafts during bumps in the road, hence lots O grease all over everything.

Like you, "I thought I smelt something".... a.gif