HybridZ

Forged Crank?

Guest 260Newb

Guest 260Newb

Hi, My name is Nick and i am VERY new to the Z thing. I have built some V8's but have been taken for a strait 6 turbo project and now i have a 74 260z with a perfect body and that is it!. Interior is on the way and the roll cage will be in place within 2 months.

I am looking to build an F54 block with FORGED COMPONENTS :?: Where might i be able to get a forged crank? (my friend let me know i could use an old maxima deisal crank if i can't find a forged) I would like this project to be NOTHING but the best and in the long run hold 25 psi off of TD06...Thanks, Nick

medici4ever@hotmail.com

Guest 260Newb

awesome, thanks guys. I did not know that the L series cranks are forged from the factory... Besides Motorsport, does anyone know who sells forged rods and pistons? as well as sheetmetal intakes and turbo manifolds?

Basically i am starting a BUILT turbo project and i want NOTHING but the best on this build. I have some $ to throw at it and i would like some input? Thanks, Nick

The Rods are also forged from Factory. As far as pistons you can go with Ross racing pistons. if you do a search on ross racing pistons you will probably find the site. I am selling a set of 240Z rods on ebay right now. These have the 9mm bolts as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486982553&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Guest 260Newb

Has anyone done a 3.0 or 3.1 stroker Turbo project? This motor will be built ONCE and i don't wanna have to pull it down 5 times in a year. Would i be better off using the stock specs (and .30 over) for a HIGH boost project on all forged?

Also, i am at the point now where i need to pick a block and head. I was thinking i would just buy an 81-83 turbo block and head and then build the internals myself. I know i can just buy a computer and harness out of one of those as well and eventually make everything work. (with programming) I would like to go with a turbo motor in those year ranges cause i can use and electronic boost controller.

Does anyone have a better idea or any idea for what block and head i should use? What flows the best? I was told for a motor that will see that much boost to go with an F54 block and P90 head...is that right?

Whichevever head i get will be port matched and polished as well as beefed WAY up to be able to handle 25 psi on a damn TD06.

Thanks, Nick

Guest 260Newb

thanks!

after reading that however i think i better just stick with stock crank, rods, forged pistons and a WORKED OUT head, for my first build anyway :twisted: So any head ideas? i have been reading all day and i have found NOTHING but good things written about the P90 head. I also found that my friend was right and the F54 block came outta the 81-83 ZX cars and Turbo ones as well. This will be great for the project.

260Newb,

A word of advice: Spend the next couple months searching this site and reading hundreds of threads. Also, buy some of the books recommended on other Z related sites and read them. This will save you time and us irritation answering questions that have been answered hundreds of times already.

There's no one way to build the engine you want and asking us to give you "the" answer will only create confusion. Do a lot of research on your own and come to your own conclusion on your engine build. You might also want to talk with the known Nissan engine builders like Sunbelt Performance, Rebello Racing, Malvern Racing, Caldwell, etc.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I'm just trying to give you some advice so that you don't wear out your welcome here or at the other Z sites. Some of us old timers are grumpy SOBs. :D

Guest 260Newb

Thanks, sorry to ride your nerves bro. I am just looking for opinions and what other people would build in my shoes. You for example. What would you do. That is not something i can learn in a book...you know what i wanna do, but how would YOU do it?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sss510six/album?.dir=/15c7&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Vern at Raver motorsports in Visalia CA has a raced preped 3 liter block ready to build.My motor has held up to over 150 drag launches and low 11 sec passes.Isn`t a TD06 a 20G Mitsubishi turbo?And capable of 375-400 rwh?That should be no problem with a built 3 liter.

Guest 260Newb

what our YOUR opinions on a 3.0 or 3.1 litre? worth the $ to build and boost? or just too much trouble? I am kinda leaning towards a .30 over stock internals (forged pistons) and heavy head work and a monster turbo...insted of 3.0 or 3.1 litre. Think that is a wise choice for a FIRST motor (strait 6 anyway). I mean i can always build a 3.0 or 3.1 later on and swap this turbo into it right?

Strokers are awesome, one thats built for turbo is even better, long rod short stroke big bore, its just fundamental that its going to make a bit more power at the same boost levels. I think it would be fun and somewhat of an accomplishment to put one together and run it hard, but I dont think the expense is warranted when you have the real hp maker is bolted to your exhaust manifold :D Custom L machine work costs a lot, especially the headwork, and can be made up or exceeded with some more boost. What is your hp goal? Mine on a turbo setup is in the area of 300rwhp, relatively low but very doable on a stock motor, weak point still being the pistons-but with good tuning the pistons are not a liability. Only thing I would change on my next motor if I stay L6 is forged pistons, a metal headgasket, and arp rod and head bolts. A compression increase to 8.0 or so with the pistons to liven it up out of the boost, but not much else-that L6 bottom end is pretty dang strong.

L motor can take a pretty big overbore and still have strong cylinder walls. They can go up to .120 over or so if it sonic checks ok.