HybridZ

Any auto/hardware parts stores carry T-bolt clamps cheap??

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

All the local speed/rice shops I've checked want $9-10 PER CLAMP!!! Not cool. Though I've had no problems with the worm gear clamps running 12psi, I would feel better, and would prefer the look, of the nicer clamps, but considering I need about 12 of them, $10 per is just friggin rediculous. Any one see these at any regular auto parts or hardware stores for a better price?

Guest bastaad525

yeah we got napa/king auto supply here.

okay, what's the difference in HD worm clamps vs. regular home depot worm clamps? Just a tighter holding clamp or what? How much are they?

The Heavier duty worm gear types are set up so that the "holes" (whatever you call it the holes that the worm gear grips to I guess?) do not contact the couplers. Best example off the top of my head would be like a radiator hose, where when you pull the clamp off you can see an imprint of those holes. In a boost situation the tugging of the coupler with a "normal" type worm gear clamp wears into the coupler and can rip it off after time. The HD style ones dont do this, and generally have a wider gripping surface then a normal clamp. T-bolt is even better, and they should be available at a diesel repair shop or Napa.

Yes Napa has them but, only down to a certain size. I couldn't use them on my setup for the most part. 2" pipes with regular silicone hose couplers. They also have #705/1507 that are similar to t-bolt and the regular kind. Sort of a Hybrid Hose clamp if you will. These also work very good and can be found in more sizes. They may have t-bolt clamps in the size you need since I think your pipes are a little larger. Right?

I have thier parts distrubution center not to far away from me and they always seems to have some for a good price. Don't buy them at the rice shops. If they guy behind the counter gives you the "what the he** look" then tell him he'll need to look in his clamp catalog. They should all have the catalog and should be able to order them if they do not have them in stock.

You can also check with truck (18 wheelers) supply places.

Hydraulic Shop for me every time...man they are my new found performance store...let see:

1) T-Bolt clamps

2) Heady Duty worm gear clamps

3) Every conceivable Loctite product

4) Every Aeroquip fitting in stock!

5) Custom made braided hose while you wait

6) Every hose adapter possible - NPT, JICMetric, BSPT

All for great prices too!

The list goes on and on....I love them!

Yasin

Guest Loose_Screws
If you have a large truck dealership (kenworth, pete, Freightliner, etc) The should carry them there also.

This is where I got all of my clamps. SS too! Bought $85 worth of them!

• 2 weeks later...

Regular hose clamps, although ugly, can be made to grip by welding four small tits on the edge of the intercooler tubing end. These will keep the hose from slipping on the tube. Place the clamp adjacent to the tits. Make the tits smooth, of course. Like a coordinated weld glob, no more than 1/8" high. Works for me at 21 psi. Tried toggles, but limited clamping range wud not work on my intercooler hose size.

Guest bastaad525

Oddly, even though I've had my boost as high as 15psi (spiking up to 16 or so) and have NO welded anything on the ends of all my pipes, I've had no problem at all with clamps coming loose or pipes getting loose or anything. As an experiment I even used a Sharpie to put little matching marks on all the pipes and couplers to see if they were pulling apart at all and there has been ZERO movement. This is using just regular hardware store clamps, on stainless steel pipes and silicone couplers, no lips welded on ANY of the pipe ends. I've also removed the clamps and inspected the couplers for any damage from the clamps and they look fine, no ripping. I expected to at least have some damage as I've seen many times what regular clamps do to fuel and radiator hose, but the silicone looked new when I removed the clamps. So for now I'll be sticking with the cheapy clamps until they show that they aren't going to be adequate. By the way I dropped the boost back down but still running 13psi every day.