HybridZ

Vote for the best Rear suspension for my 240Z

Ok here is the scoop my twin turbo 240Z may be capable of close to 500HP. I plan on drivng my car, road racing, drag racing etc..Now truth be told I heard the 240Z stub axles break and the 280 one are not much better. For some reason I fear wheels fly'n off my car. So I am try to decide on the best Rear suspension. Vote for the best Rear suspension for my 240Z.

94 Supra IRS- REAL hard custom installation but great

Ford 9"- awsomely strong, no finese, still difficult to install

Stock with upgrade axles etc.- easy to install still weak stubs

Other

Ok here is the scoop my twin turbo 240Z may be capable of close to 500HP. I plan on drivng my car, road racing, drag racing etc..Now truth be told I heard the 240Z stub axles break and the 280 one are not much better.

Do a lot of searching on this site using the term "sub axles." Since you're building something that MIGHT induce two different stub axle failure modes (flange separation, shaft breakage) you need to spend a lot of time on research.

For some reason I fear wheels fly'n off my car. So I am try to decide on the best Rear suspension.

Because of you're useage choices (street, drag, track) there will not be any "best" suspension choice. You are going to have to compromise in all areas. That compromise will probably extend to how hard you drive the car in each of those scenarios.

For example:

With a live axle (Ford 9") you can hammer the car in a drag race but you better be damn careful on a road race track because its not going to handle very well and you'll probably end up in the dirt on your top.

Conversly, with a modfied stock suspension you can hammer the car on a road race track but you better be careful with your drag race launches or you'll be leaving parts behind as you go sideways through the Christmas tree.

Suspensions are always about compromises. There is no best suspension anywhere in the world because of design limitaitons, rule books, costs, etc.

The Supra IRS would be great from a handling point of view, and it would hold up to the power, but from what I've seen, it can be hard to get them to hook up well with alot of power. There is a video of an 11 second supra about a quarter down, which is about how fast you would be, trying to get traction despite squatting like a dog. http://www.exvitermini.com/mr33.htm

Just posting what i have seen. I personally would go for the supra IRS anyway. :-D

C4 Vette gives you gear choices and easy to find parts. It will be plenty stout. Supra setup will not be as tough and parts may be more $$. I have 240SX suspension with an R230 inserted where the 200 used to be. The ring gear is larger than a Ford 9". I never plan on breaking it, but if I do . . . $$$. My biggest complaint has been that I didn't get all the little pieces (rear suspension was totally disassembled, no bolts etc.). I have probably spent $100 on hardware. Axle nuts were $25 for both from the dealer. Whichever way you go, get it all! Judging by how fast you knocked out the LS1, you should be fine. I ended cutting out a lot of the old Datsun unibody and made new mounting points. Despite being a rookie fabricator, I was able to do the swap.

http://photos.yahoo.com/maichor75104

What about the Scottie conversion? C4 vette......best compromise as far as I can tell....

Scottie never ran the GNZ on a road racing track... :D Some of the changes necessary to fit it under the Z might have compromised its performance (roll centers especially).

What about the Scottie conversion? C4 vette......best compromise as far as I can tell....

Scottie never ran the GNZ on a road racing track... :D Some of the changes necessary to fit it under the Z might have compromised its performance (roll centers especially).

Agreed, however, as compromises go, I still think that this was the better of all the evils......

As far as the variables involved (in order):

1. Strength

2. Reliability (closely related to above)

3. Versatility

4. Performance for intended purpose

5. Easy of conversion

6. maintenance (parts availability)