HybridZ

Dog bites off nuts

Tim240z

:shock::shock::oops:

Dog Bites Off N.M. Man's Genitals

August 31, 2004 07:22 PM EDT

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A man whose genitals were bitten off by a pit bull remained in serious condition Tuesday, and the dog remained on the loose.

The man, who has not been identified, was attacked Monday while walking the dog. When police arrived to help, the man appeared disoriented and fled on foot but police tracked him to a nearby park, said Detective Jeff Arbogast of the Albuquerque Police Department.

The man was naked when found at the park, but it was unclear at what point he had taken off his clothes. Neighbors had seen him playing with the dog earlier in the day.

Arbogast said investigators do not know why the man was naked, and remain uncertain about some circumstances surrounding the attack.

The brown pit bull remained missing Tuesday, and police warned people who see it to stay away and call animal control.

A nearby elementary school was locked down following the incident and parents were called to pick up students who usually walk home.

Shortly after the attack Monday, Gov. Bill Richardson released a statement saying he would proposed legislation next year aimed at holding owners of dangerous dogs accountable for their pets.

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=10&aid=831060621_5310_lead_story

hmmm... man found naked and had nuts bitten off from dog. This may just be a guess, but after a few psych classes, this one doesnt seem too hard to figure out. To me it seems the guy was trying to...umm..mate with the dog, and hurt him, so the dog went for the genitles. Sexually assaulted people usually attack the "member" of the attacking party. That is just guess though withought reading all the facts and statements of the case. :?

hmmm... man found naked and had nuts bitten off from dog. This may just be a guess, but after a few psych classes, this one doesnt seem too hard to figure out. To me it seems the guy was trying to...umm..mate with the dog, and hurt him, so the dog went for the genitles. Sexually assaulted people usually attack the "member" of the attacking party. That is just guess though withought reading all the facts and statements of the case. :?

I never even thought about all that. Thats really crazy!!

I would have gotten a chuckle out of this post a while back until this past Saturday when a 95lb german shepherd ran out of a neighbor's yard, unprovoked, and attacked my wife while she was jogging. A 3" gash on her right arm down to the bone and a couple of puncture wounds leave me wondering what the circumstances would have been if this was one of the many children running and riding bikes in the neighborhood.

The circumstances in this post aside, with 5 million dog bites a yr in the USA, I have never understood why someone would keep dogs like pit bulls or german shepherds for pets given their unpredictable nature. While the doctor was sewing her up he expressed the same sentiment after having to treat a 3yr old girl who had her hose bitten off by the "family pet". The mace she carries did nothing to stop that raged animal so now she has to consider jogging with some lethal device to protect herself from the family pets. The owner actually looked me in the eye and said "I am so sorry. I don't know what happened. She has never done that before".

Scottie.... no offense meant here, I hold you, your car, and most of your opinions in the highest regard.... So I will apologize in advance.

There is no breed of dog that is of an "unpredictable nature". You have dogs, dogs with bad temperments, dogs with bad, negligent, or abusive owners. And then you have all the other dogs. To put this in a form that most here would appreciate, dog owners or not; Our hybrid Z-cars are dangerous and should be outlawed, given the owners tendencies to race, drive erratically, and kill people. (It's the cars fault tho)

A dog that is dangerous is best compared to a Z with faulty brakes and 2F2F teenage driver. In any case it is the owners fault for either not training and controlling the dog, or not putting it down once distemper has been determined. German shepards in particular, if one must stereotype them, are great with kids, and have been known to go to great lengths to protect members of their "family" even at the cost of their lives.

It is a sad truth that a minority of irresponsible owners and breeders can destroy any breed of dogs' good reputation. A case in point: There was a family in upstate NY a few years back that got a lot of local press out of their crusade to ban ownership of certain breeds, based on their sons mauling.... While Breaking and Entering.

While I was a kid, my family was involved in breeding, training, and showing dogs professionally. Although we were involved to some extent with many breeds, we spent most of our time and effort on Great Danes, German Shepards, and Belgian Sheepdogs. (Tervuerens) Belgians are the dominant breed in Europe for police dogs, despite their smaller stature, as compared to German Shepards. I would estimate that out of every 20 pups, we put down 1 or 2 for temperment or health concerns, and sold several others to very specific owners based on concerns over their behavior with animals or children. (these dogs had a tendency to have very rewarding and productive lives when paired with an adult who was single, and worked with the dog, ie: ranches, drivers, ect)

Oh, and those Big, Bad Great Danes we raised? While certainly impressive, out of all the Danes we raised, there were very few who did not seem to put discretion ahead of valor. In otherwords, they put on a great show, as long as there was a fence to mediate. Come through the gate at a fast pace, and most of them would raise one hell of a racket.... at a safe distance. We wouldnt have had it any other way.

Which dog, year after year, is the number one for biting people? The Dalmation. After owning one and seeing kids just run up and grab the dog's head I know why. What's really scary is seeing kids do that in front of their smiling parents.

You are absolutely correct, John. At the end of the day, it's just an animal.

I have my 4 year old son trained to ask the owner if it's a "nice" dog first, then kneel down about 4 feet from the dog and wait for it to come to him. That way the dog never feels threatened.....

I have to agree with Tannji, it depends on the owner. My wife and I have rescued, and adopted dogs for 15 years now. The temperment of any dog is usually dependent on how the owner raised it. You can have very freindly pit bulls, dobermans, shepards, as long as the owner socialized, and raised it right. Sometimes there are dogs you just can't help, they need to be put down.

Tim, the way you trained your son is very important, and smart to do at a young age. Also never extend your hand out palm side up with fingers extended, one chomp and you loose a finger. Always as a fist, palm facing down. Once the dog sniffs, and everything is ok, then extend fingers. :)

.., Oh, and those Big, Bad Great Danes we raised? While certainly impressive, out of all the Danes we raised, there were very few who did not seem to put discretion ahead of valor..,

We've always had Great Danes simply because it is an inherant gene which gives them a very docile temperment towards children as well as Strangers/Children that happen to wonder on to the property the Great Dane considers - their turf.

My experience with Great Danes has taught me that they seem to have this "ensight" into determining if a stranger is there to harm or not harm...and it is this discretion I like about the Great Dane: not to mention they are such a large dog w/an almost human like personality.

I've always considered the Great Dane as a "thinking dog"...as in the fact they think about what they do prior to doing it as opposed to being reactionary like most watch-dogs.

Great Danes are very cool dogs...and the Marmaduke cartoon mimics the real dog's personality to a tee.

I agree about the Dog's Trainer as the one who is at fault for a poorly or not trained at all dog that attacks even tho their owners proclaim "I dont know why it acted that way, its never done that before".

Most owners never give their dog any training at all. Owners that live in the city who are forced into keeping their dog locked up in a back yard will cause that dog to go stir crazy (boredom).

Sorry Scotty for the attack on your wife...nothing could be scarrier than to know a member of your family was in an injurious situation that was out of their control.

IMHO, that dog that attacked your wife was stir crazy from being locked up in the back yard - when your wife came jogging by...with the dog owner's master in sight: the dog was overly sensative due to its stir crazy state of mind which caused its defenses to be triggered.

Where if that dog owner had properly trained the dog to heal on command - the attack on your wife could have been prevented.

As far as the initial post of this thread - I agree about the beastiality point made in a previous post. Most animals who are not mistreated will not turn on their master...and if they do turn on their master they dont go for the genitals, they go for the leg, foot, hand, or arm.

I had a friend whose dad was double degree black belt in the martial arts. My friend advised me that his dad had prevented dog attacks to others (just happenstance that he was in the area) by confronting the dog and then Keeya'g (sp? - the same sound a karate dude makes when he attempts to break a board) as loud and authoritatively as possible.

The noise of the yell/command and the confronting of the dog confuses the dog. I've never tried this so who knows if my friend was telling the truth or blowing smoke?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

One thing that hasn't been talked about that has a great effect on a dog is its "prey drive" Dogs have different prey drives for different objects. That is one of the determining factors for law enforcement agencies when selecting dogs for police work.

I myself have a decently trained pit bull at home that's the most loving dog in the world................ to people (errr family), however he is extremely animal aggressive and I've had to break up a fight involving him and another neighbors dog (neighbors dog came into my back yard while I was there). Now just because he's seemingly friendly doesn't mean that I'm gonna tie him up in the back yard and leave him there because he IS animal aggressive, and who knows what that could turn to if left unattended. I know that no matter what I do, I can't contain him to the back yard unless he's tied up, which I totally disagree with. But that's part of being a responsible owner. Knowing your dog and what he's capable of.

As far as the German Shephard is concerned. You have to look at the breed itself, what it's been bred for and what it's been doing for decades. The prey drive that goes along with their line of work effects how they see things. A running jogger, in this case Scotties wife was nothing more than another animal to chase and kill. It's instinct.

Kevin, as far as your friends dad is concerned. That may work from time to time but I wouldn't bet my life on the dog running scared at being yelled at. Part of the way we train the dogs here for aggression is with aggressive movements and tones of voice, which would just agitate the dog even more. Either way, if you know what your doing you can fight back enough to where the dog will either A) pass out B) lose it's will to fight or C) Die. C, being the most likely course of action given the heat of the moment. And Mace????? Once a dog is in that predatory mode, it would take a stronger mace than what's available to the general public.

Either way, it's still 100% owner responsibility!!

Sorry about your wife Scottie, I hope she heals well.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

Well I have found myself in yet another conflicting "life Situation". I always said, and still hold to the fact that there is NO NEED in this world for any aggressive pets. I now own one and have for four+ years. When I took on the task of my current family, I inherited my wife's 70 pound Beagel/ Basset Hound Mix... He is mean. I have to muzzle him whenever we have company and anyone who has been to the house knows why... He will bite.

As much as I'd like to say it is breed X, or Breed Y, I'm not so sure anymore... My wife's X wasn't the nicest guy in the world, but who knows, maybe the move, or the stress the whole family endured from the events leading up to and the eventual divorce had an impact on the dog as well... However, I know that as much as my family loves this dog, and as devoted as he is to me, and to the family, I'd have no issue putting him down if he ever caused serious harm to someone.

Scottie, You always want to maintain peace with the neighbores, but that sounds like an awfully serious attack, and I'd pursue it 110%. Coming from someone who will likely have to deal with this in his lifetime, I'd push that owner to have the dog destroyed... Unfortunately, it has already left its mark. :shock:

Mike 8)