HybridZ

Lightweight Flywheel for 1982 Turbo Z

jtmny1999

Guest bastaad525

DONT go to Top End or arizona Z cars. Most clutch shops with machining abilities or just straight up machine shop will do this service for $50-75 at most. Just take them a used stock turbo or 2+2 flywheel and, as others have said, they will get it to around 17lbs. You'll notice a big difference in your engines responsiveness with this mod. One thing though, I'm not sure how different places might do it, but the place I had do it for me a couple years ago did advise me that after lightening it it would not be resurfacable. When I went to get my clutch swapped out this turned out to be the case... though it didn't help that the ACT 6 puck metallic clutch I was using had worn into the flywheel pretty severely, but even when the non-worn section was measured, it was a very close fit... as the clutch wore into the flywheel the rivets on the clutch started to contact the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank. I think if I'd been running a conventional organic clutch like I am now (with a heavy duty pressure plate) this would not have been a problem.

I spoke to Dave at Arizonazcars and he will not have the 240mm available for several months - unfortunately.

He told me that to 2 1/2 years ago when I was going to buy one from him. Just so everyone knows he makes his parts and doen not contract them out like some others do. Atleast thats what he told me then.

DONT go to Top End or arizona Z cars.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the reason. The AZC one is supposed to be STEEL not cast iron, so it should be a lot stronger than the cast iron lightened one from Top End.

I have the AZC unit in my car and have for a couple years now. I'm 99.999999% sure it was brand new and not a turned down factory flywheel. Weighs 12 lbs. The scary thing is how thin it is. Mine hasn't caused me any problems, but every machinist I've shown it to has looked at it, looked at me, and then asked if I had a scatter shield. That's 3 different machinists now. I've checked mine for cracks twice, no problems yet, but I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable with a Fidanza flywheel.

One more thing about the AZC, when they balanced mine they had to remove A LOT of metal.

There is a guy who has Fidanza's on ebay all the time, usually has a couple Datsuns up there too. I'm sure you could get one from him. I know I would have paid $379 when I was looking.

Not 100% sure that they don't make them but, I've just never seen one. It's been a couple of years since I did any research on flywheels and clutches. I see no reason why with the right clutch you couldn't run a 225mm flywheel. I think their would be several advantages of doing it this way.

1. less weight

2. Less mass at the outer end of the diameter of the flywheel.

Same principal as the small mulitplate disc clutchs but, not taken to the extreme

IMO and having driven a bunch of 10 lb flywheel 510s, the 10 lb is too light for a 4 cylinder. On the 6 in my friend's Z and mine (slightly heavier 12 lb) the extra 2 cylinders makes it just fine. Granted they are both NA, but I used to drive mine in traffic every day. Main thing is you need to get used to shifting faster. I think that was when I started cutting my tranny fluid with ATF.