HybridZ

MSnS Turbo Conversion Finally on the Road!

sims76

Finally got it running and drove it for an hour....

I took my car off the road on April 14th, expecting this turbo and MSnS conversion to take a few weeks. I was previously running MS on an NA motor.

Five months and a complete turbo motor swap later I finally got to drive it tonight. I did all the work myself. This is the second time in my life that I have ever driven a turbo car, the other being a friend's Honda S2000 that we installed a turbo kit on.

What a rush, when the boost hits, it feels like someone just threw a few hundred pounds out the window.

Moby, I used your fuel and ignition map and didn't have to change anything. I was expecting to have to tweak the fuel map, but the PLX Wideband was displaying a healthy 12.x:1 to 13.x:1 AFR under boost and everywhere else under throttle. Good map, thanks! I am using a 81 NON turbo distributor. I am not using the E12-92 module that came with it. I tapped the pickup inside the dizzy and used a 1330 ohm pullup resistor to 12V. I couldn't get a signal with either the Nissan Module or the GM HEI module. Go figure. This resistor has to be 1330 ohms in my application. Any more, no signal during cranking. Any less, severe RPM spikes. I am using a 470 ohm resistor for R10 on the MS board.

I have to check my intake piping (intercooler not installed yet) because the turbo sounded very loud and my passenger thought I had a blow off valve, even though I don't. Air must have been leaking.

Questions:

1. I don't have any boost controller installed. I am using a T3/T04E turbo with the wastegate actuator that James supplied with it. The boost rises very quickly and pegs at 11 psi. Can I thread the wastegate actuator rod out to lower the maximum boost? I want to run around at < 10 PSI until I install the Spearco sitting in the corner.

Can't wait to drive it again tomorrow.

-Sims

Here's Some pics...

PLX WIDEBAND

Image35.jpg

SPEARCO 2-221

Image21.jpg

WIRING THAT I WILL CLEANUP TOMORROW

Image18.jpg

440CC DSM INJECTORS AND PALLNET FUEL RAIL

Image25.jpg

Glad to hear its up and running. Also good to see the map is close using another type of wideband meter (I am using the tech edge meter). Now I can forward all of the MSnS questions to you :D. Just Kidding, but I am glad to see another tubo person running. I need to get my NPR intercooler installed and port my intake manifold, more free hp.

Just out of curiosity, what trim of To4e are you running? I am still waiting for the stock turbo to lay down so I can upgrade.

Thanks guys, I just want to have some fun with it for now.

For the intercooler, RRE Sells them....

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/intercoolers.htm

Top End Performance also sells them, but I have read some

horror stories about their customer service.

http://www.racetep.com

The turbo is a T3/T04E 54 trim.

Guest bastaad525

12.x:1 to 13.x:1 AFR under boost, I notice no one is commenting on this being too lean or not? I know when I dynoed at 10psi and my AFR was just getting to 13:1 (maxed at 13.2:1) on the top end you guys warned me like crazy that I was asking for trouble this way. With a good I/C and assuming stock ignition timing what is the safe limit for AFR? I wouldn't mind leaning it back out to low 13's as I was making quite a bit more power there......

Bastaad,

Good catch. I spoke with James yesterday and he warned me of the same thing.

I'm going to re-tune for 11.2:1 - 11.6:1 under boost.

For now, I'm still using Moby's ignition map and have not changed anything.

By they way, I just dropped the Z off at the inspection station this morning. I have been driving it at night to get it streetable enough to pass inspection. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I only drove it 800 miles last year because of all of this turbo stuff, so it is exempt from emissions inspection, which is a bonus.

-Sims

Good Information.

That self-vulcanizing tape (we called it F-4 Tape in the USAF since most of the F-4 Phantoms were held together with it...) is a pain to get off once set. I like those split plastic wiring looms they use nowadays---you can still get to your wires when needed.

As for the passenger's comment about sounding like you have a BOV instaled. I run open element off the turbo for now, and did for years on my triple-blow-through Mikuini setup. They are loud. Sounds like a jet turbine at idle. And when you let off the throttle, you may be getting a turbine stall or partial surge which makes a stuttering sound through the inlet. It is especially pronounced if you have simply a filter (or a tea strainer like I used...) on the turbine inlet...

Later I ran a shortie glasspack on a remote filter out front, and it quieted it down just fine. My BOV/Compressor Bypass Valve waas routed into the inlet, so you didn't really hear it anymore when I lifted.