HybridZ

Turbo fun--WARNING...ADULTS ONLY

Well, I've taken a break for HybridZ for the past few weeks, but I'm back because some of you have been kind enough to care and track me down. I've been working in my garage skunkworks on the twin turbo 383-slower so I don't burn out. Here are some pictures. It's not as intimidating as the Turbomeister's, but it's going to work. I'm really not that far from being able to fire it up, but I'm doinng little jobs here and there--if I applied myself, I would be a weekend away or so. Please comment. The biggest hurdle right not is I'm going to have to modify that giant intercooler. It gets in the way of the hood spring mechanism. I'll probably have to have it shortened a wee bit.

normal_DSC00052%7E1.JPG

normal_DSC00053%7E0.JPG

normal_DSC00055.JPG

Looks awesome. I was thinking up a similar setup with t-bird T-3s, but decided to get the car completed and then go back and see if i still want to go with forced induction.

By the way, how do you get to the spark plugs? :shock:

Ben

It is looking great. :-D

In the long run you will have a more driveable car than my Z because of the fuel injection and intercooler. It is amazing how you were able to squeeze all that tubing in the engine compartment and keep it functional. Will you be able to close the hood without any modifications to it? Can't wait to hear about your first drive.

Hanns

Yup, somewhere under all that tubing is a Chevy engine. It took a lot of thought, trial and error to get it all to route properly. That's why I haven't been around on the board lately. I hope the hood closes. Otherwise, I'll have to modify it in a few places. I think it will, though. As for spark plugs, I'll probably have to remove my downpipes to get at the plugs. I managed to turn a spacious engine bay into a cramped little compartment.

I guess you have a knack for stuffing oversized pieces into small areas that were never designed for something that large.

:shock:

I'll move on to the next thread after hearing that one...

That's why he's called Silicone Boy!

So what turbos and exhaust manifolds did you use? I think it was you who was investigating the upside down Corvette headers?

And what's the intercooler from?

Nice job, post some video and sound clips when you can!

Owen

I guess you have a knack for stuffing oversized pieces into small areas that were never designed for something that large.

Reminds me of what a new young OR nurse said to me when she saw me stuffing a silicone breast implant in through a small incision.

"You'll never get the big thing in there!"

"That's what all the girls tell me" , I said

Obviously, we don't prosecute sexual harrassment in the operating room, we grade it.

As for the turbos and manifolds, I basically took a Corvette LT1 header, cut the bottom off of it and welded a T3 flange onto it. It has a nice heat shield and in the current configuration, places the turbos directly onto the header, which is very thermally efficient. The turbos ore Buick grand nationals, so they are kinda like a T3T4 hybrid. I swapped out the turbine housing for an SVO Ford mustang housing, however (Same A/R ratios) because it had the standard T3 flange--yes it fits just perfectly.

The intercooler is off of EBay from Hong Kong. Fairly good price and just the right size for the space in front of the radiator.

If I were to do it again, I would go with a bigger single turbo-the plumbing is much easier, and with a 383 in a light car, turbo lag is not that much of an issue. I only went with twins as an engineering exercise.

ben, simple suggestion for i/c clearance. remove your spring steel hood springs. i did it years ago on my car, i had mounted a zx turbo air cleaner forward of the radiator as a cold air intake [this was before the cone filters were available]. adjusted my hood latch spring a bit and simply and manually open my hood, hold it momentarily and put the prop rod in place. it'll make quite a bit of room for you.

david

Thanks Ben,

Great weight distribution too! Are those turbos stock or did you get them hybridized somewhere? I'd be interested in hearing about the Mustang housings too.

For my glass hood, I had to take out the springs too. if your stock hinges are there, there should be an arm where the springs originally were hooked up to. When I open the hood, I swing the arm up and stick a big bolt in there. When the hood moves back to the closed position, it hits the bolt and keeps the hood open. Just make sure you don't hit the paint on the headlite bucket.

Owen