HybridZ

Wow! Did I find a NEW topic for discussion?

Guest jester_280

Guest jester_280

I have a question- I'm beginnign my own slightly disturbing project, and I was wondering if anyone has tried swapping the entire Hicas rear end out of a 240SX/300ZX into the 2xxZ platform? Can it be done (well, of course it CAN, but how easily), and what luck have you had?

Are you worried about turning radius or is this supposed to be a performance thing? Most race teams get rid of the HICAS because it is extra weight and can make the handling a little funky when you push the car really hard. At least that's what I've heard and read (never had a HICAS car myself).

Guest jester_280

A buddy of mine had one of the rare 240sx super hicas models- that was the best handling car I've ever driven short of a true race car. I guess I'd look to capture some of the steering performance.

Didn't those cars use a computer to control the rear steering? I have read stories claiming they could turn the rear wheels either with or the opposite direction of the turn depending on speed and how hard of a turn.

Wonder what degree of computer tuning would be needed to make them work with a different platform?

Definitely something to look into.

You'll have to search for it, but there is one member that I recall that did this rear end swap (entire subframe). He did not have the HICAS feature though. The swap fit fairly neatly under the car, and I remember several photos in that string showing reinforced panels and modifications (I think he used it under an S30 with a Cobra body kit on top.

Well, being someone who has driven many, many Hicas cars. I can say this:

When I buy 240sx's, I purposely buy them without Hicas. It is dead weight that causes the rear end to do whatever it feels like.

Everyone who races in a car that has Hicas in Japan removes it by way of a Hicas eliminator bar.

Hicas just causes understeer. Watch someone try to drift a 300zx and you will see what I mean. They can't get the rear end to come around because the wheels are fighting it.

On a professional level, Rhys Millen broke the world record for showroom stock in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with a Skyline GT-R. He attempted a practice run with the Hicas enabled, and it threw him all over the course. They eventually eliminated the Hicas before the competition, and he destroyed the competition.

I think Hicas is intended for the average joe not to lose control of his car. If you know how to drive, and drive equally equipped cars with and without Hicas, you will realize it is bunk and needs to be killed.

• 3 weeks later...

Especially if you are used to driving in a non-hicas car, and you hang a steep turn with power on the turn and OOps it "self steers" you right into that light pole. :twak::cry2:

It happened to a Z fanatic friend of mine when we was used to driving a 240Z and stepped into one of dem new fangled contraptions. He didn't hit a pole, but the car oversteered him right off the road and once you're in loose gravel on the shoulder, it don't hook up too good. :bonk:

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing it, but have a tube framed car. I tried to fit it before the decision was made to go full tube, but the front upper link mounting ear wanted to be in the same spot as the major reinforcement dogleg of the frame rail, an already weak spot I was concerned about cutting out. So since the rest of the car was tube, it just made sense to go ahead and do the back.

The person who did it and reinforced the stock unibody was doing John Washingtons Velo Rossa, not a Cobra, I think I have his contact info and a few pics somewhere.....