HybridZ

Custom Wheel Adapters...

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Ok, I know it has been talked about and yes, I have searched the forums, but I have a question... Has anyone ran wheel adapters (4on4 or 4on5 lug) and had trouble with them? The reason for asking is that a local machine shop says they are no good to use and your wheels could fall off etc...

But I am curious if as long as they are installed and built properly, would there be any issue with using them? I am wanting to convert over to a 5-lug chevy bolt pattern because I have found these slotted mags with a huge dish on the rear wheels and a nice moderate dish on the front ones. They are 15" rims, my fiance' just got a '76 T/A with the same rims on it. I think they would look nice on the Z with a widebody kit of course. I am not quite sure about measuring wheels to see if they would fit but I measured the back face of the sidewall to the inside of the rim where the center sits on the face of the hub and got 4 1/2", then measured my Z's rims, ZX six spoke, and got the same 4 1/2". So assuming I could use a 1" thick or better wheel adapter, there should be plenty of room right?

Did I make my measurements right? Can some tell me how to measure rims as well...? :?

:2thumbs: Yes, I do have wheel spacers or adapters on my 71 240Z now. I race it and can report it hasn't given me any problems. Had them made in Denver, CO by Performance Wheels for $200. They are for a 4X4.5 to 4X4.5 lug pattern and 1" wide. Got a great deal on a set of front wheel drive rims and tires from them that I could not let go. All you need to do before racing is make sure they are torqued down to spec before going out onto the track. Good Luck with it, Rich.

I have 1 1/8 inch adapters in front and I have had no issues. With my adapters the studs were pushed in from the rear just like OEM thru the back of the hub. Once you have the wheel bolted to the adapter there is no way for the adapter to come off the hub because the mounting face of the wheel keeps the adapter nuts from ever coming all the way off even if they got loose, which they won't if you torque them properly.

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo engine (357 rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674663

• 2 years later...

Anyone have a link to where I can buy these adapters? I'v found some places that say they have adapters that allow the use of honda rims with a +38 to +40 offset but I dont want to go with the 7.5 in wide. I want something a little wider. Say 9 or more:twisted: ..I know they will stick out but I'm building a kit so it wont matter. I've seen some honawheels that go up that high but dont know what size adapter is needed to make up the difference. I mean if a 1.5 inch adapter allows offsets as much as +40 then if I wanted a wheel with a +45 offset shouldn't I be able to order a an adapter that is 5 mils bigger than 1.5 or is that not how it works?:confused:

This is the guy that I got my spacers from... http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZwheeladapters

Well designed they have tapered lugs to ensure that the spacer is centered on the hub. And you just buy them and tell him how wide you want to go. I have a .75 inch in the rear and 1 inch in the front but i know that he will go to 4 inch wide.

I use 1" wide spacers and track my car with no problems.

Curious though, how is everyone torqueing down the front adapters? I just use an impact wrench on its highest torque setting, but I have no way of measuring the torque on them, other than after doing the same on the rears, my torque wrench shows that its at least 100 ft.lbs.

Are you serious.... you use a impact on your alum spacers? I've always heard thats a no no.....

Couldn't come up with any other way of doing it. I always thought it was a no no on wheels because it could dent them, but never read anything that said not to on spacers. My spacers lugs are kind of T shaped and not conical, such that there is a flat mating surface, I can't see how it could damage them, but who knows?

ButlersZ,

Don't listen to that local mechanic about wheel adapters.

I run the 4 to 5 lug conversion kit with wilwood brakes from arizona z-car.

About 2 years ago i hit a curb and actually broke the lip off of one of my

wheels. I took everything apart and ispected ...

Nothing wrong , Except the very bent stub axle.

If you use adapters just use quality fasteners and torque them properly and you should have no problems.

Mike.