HybridZ

Braking for V8 powered Z..opinions on toy 4X4/300zx swap?

Ok.. guys running V8's and useing the Toyota 4X4/300zx rotor swap; are they good enough? IE; do they stop the car as well, or better than stock brakes (when the car had a stock enigne) or is it a scarry thing to haul a V8 monster down from high speeds? This isn't a 'will it work' or 'how do I do it' thing.. I want to know how WELL they work on a hybrid Z, and aside from the weight, are there any other issues to be aware of?

See, I have reached the limits of my stock brakes already, and only have an L28 w/su's and opened up exhast. (75 280z) By limits, I mean I'm noticing serious FADE after uh.. hard driving.. :oops: , and I'm having to gear down like a mad man to stop this thing from higher speeds.... All my components are in proper working order, but it seams like the minor 'tweeking' of the motor is already too much for those little solid disks to handle. Seeing as I'm planing a 351W/C4 this winter, I want to address the brakes first off. (then the chasis stifening.. ehhh... yah.. :? )

I have a 280zx master cyl, and can get toy 4x4 calipers cheep (sw12 right?) I'm aware I will need to build the rotor spacer as well (.660" ?) which is no prob. BUT; before I go to the trouble/expence of this conversion, I was looking for some feedback from others using the toy/300 brakes on their Hybridz. Thanks.

Guest freedomfighter

Hey lover... Ive read that several times, and not just in here. The difference in cost when you jump to, say... brembo, for example... is rather huge. Even as a stepping stone move... seems like it would be well worth it. Ive ridden in a car with the conversion done, and we were pretty spirited ourselves... it was a huge difference over stock! :shock:

Hopefully you'll get some posts from guys who have in the past and those that currently are running that set up.

I am going to do this soon myself. I already ordered the stuff from Ross at modern motorsport. Where are you gettign the s12w calipers from cheap? And from what I have read on hear that is the upgrade to do if ona budget. Supposed to work real well with a v8.

I too am planning on doing this upgrade to my Project. Sport Z magazine did a how to article on the swap.

I picked up a set of the Toyota S12 calipers on eBay for $25. The guy that sold them was a dismantler and they came off a wrecked truck. They were rebuilt calipers that someone must have just installed cause they are like new.

On eBay look under Toyota truck brake calipers if you want a good deal. I have seen them advertised under Datsun Z car and they sell for much more.

Where is the best place to buy the rotors from? It looks like the kit from Ross is a good way to go.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48&PHPSESSID=a827e211e13f1e3d1846793b3007dfb4

Well, thats what I was hoping to hear. :) I'd still like any other input people may have though. As for cheap, my boss has an 88 4Runner on blocks out at our shop that I think I can pull the calipers from. The whole braking system was replaced on this truck (not to mention rad, tires, exhast, ect) and then the motor blew up. My boss grabed it for $200 to use as parts for his driver, so I figure I can get the calipers for a good price. :lol: Im trying to do this whole thing (V8/brakes/suspension) for around $1500 in the end, so the Toy/300zx price is right up my alley. Oh.. one more thing.. I have to run 15" rims with this swap right?

There are a couple of other threads currenty in progress on brake options.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=37139

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=37113

I bought a complete 4x4/300ZX vented rotors set up with 240SX rear disks for my car but have yet to install them. From what I have read they work very well. What I can also tell you is they are extremely heavy. I got this set up becasue it was complete and a fair price. If you have the budget look into JSK/MM for the fronts. Do a little digging and there is also a guy making adapters to fit Mustang brakes on the front. More options and are suppose to have better seals for street use.

BTW, on your current ride try bleeding your brakes. Many guys feel that is something you should do after every "track" type event. While you are digging look at some old posts about upgraded pads.

Blueoval; not sure what you mean by an 'issue' for me.. I'm apprenticing at a machine shop (going for 2nd training in Jan) and think building them is within my abilitys.

Pop n wood; I have thought of other brake upgrades, but in my case (presently) I'm going for efective, but cheep. I plan to leave the rear drums on for now, as most braking is done by the front anyway, and my drums/shoes are all good. I have bled my system several times, and not noticed any improvement. I think it's just that my Z is faster than my truck, but the truck has WAY better brakes, so the fade/lack of braking power is more noticable. I get used to it if I drive the car for 2-3days straight without driving my truck.. but that kind of weather is givving way to winter. :cry:

I am curious about mustang swaps though as a friend of mine has a Stang siting on blocks.. I could grab parts and see what I can rig up.. And on the weight issue.. as the car sits, it might be noticable.. next spring, with a 351 under my right foot.. I don't think the extra weight will be an issue.. :lol: Thanks again guys.

efective, but cheep.

Hear you there.

I upgraded my stock 240 brakes with the larger master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines. I am convinced the early 240's had insufficient MC volume. With the larger MC and no flex in the brake lines, the brakes at least feel more solid.

Don't remember if you said what year Z you have, but you will need the larger MC with the 4x4 calipers anyway. So might give those things a try.

Well I 'canabalized' a 280zx and have the m/c, but figure I'll wait till the car's dismantled this winter to install it, along with the not-yet-purchased braided line and toy calipers/zx rotors. My car is a 75 280 btw (impersonating a 240 with the front bumper/roll pan :lol: ) I'm takin her off the road mid october, so I'll get by the next few weeks 'as is'. I have to start gathering parts again.. brakes, bushings, springs, rad, the list goes on.. ahh the things you have to do.. :lol:

Well here is some "real world" seat of the pants testing I've done.

At our annual OZC lapping days at Mosport, I ran my highly modded l28 at the track, and managed 5 hot laps with very good rubber, suspension, stock brakes with SS braided flex lines and KVR pads (stock rear drums)

I switched to the s12w rotors with metal master pads and 300zx vented rotors during the winter, and the next summer I managed 24 hot laps before I was waved off the track because my driving groups session was over!! No other changes made to the car.

BTW on 280's, the spacer needs to be 314 thou.

Pop N Wood

What is the pedal feel like and how is the performance affected using the larger bore MC (280ZX I presume) on stock 240Z brakes? I plan on replacing my worn stock 240z MC with a 79 280ZX MC in preparation for the Toyota upgrade.

Miles

No issues with the larger MC. I actually liked it better because I think my stock MC had some issues where it would seem to run out of brakes at times. Shortly after putting in the larger MC I went to stainless steel brake lines. The pedal feels like I am stepping on a brick. It hauls the car down with normal pedal effort.

One bit of advice, not sure of the years but on mine the ZX MC was plumbed backwards compared to the 240 MC. Just make sure you route the brake line from the front brakes to the end of the MC with the larger reserviour. Also had to adjust the rod length inside the brake booster to get the brakes to engage in the top half of pedal motion rather than the last inch.

Pop N Wood

I installed a 79 280ZX 15/16 MC on my stock 72 240Z this morning. The brakes are firm and there is much less pedal travel. The hard pipe connections to the MC were all in the normal 240Z stock positions so no changes were required. I may tweak the booster push rod out a little to give it a higher pedal, for now the brakes work well.

Thanks for your help

Miles