HybridZ

Datsun or Bike?

vashonz

I'm tired of my truck and want to get somthing different. Right now im really seriously looking at a monster 900.

My dad is very against it. I dont live with them anymore (I support myself living on the opposite coast), but still take his opinion into account. He's worried about my safety, His cousin recently had someone turn in front of him, and suffered pretty bad head injuries. He is convinced that if I get a bike, that ill get into an accident no matter how vigelant I am.

I'm convinced that if I'm careful riding and take the proper precautions I can avoid a serious accident.

I walk to work, have friends with cars, so only need to drive when I want to. In about 8 monthes I'll be moving, even then its only a mile between where I live and where i work. Not worried about theft or vandalism.

His alternative is that I find a car(Datsun!) I want, buy it, and he'll drive it to me (from washington to south carolina if need be).

I'm not worried about creating a rift, he's still gonna be my dad. What ever I do its my decision.

I bought my first motorcycle when I was 26. Thought all the same things as you (although in my case it was my mom). But I was older, had a healthy respect for the bike, would be careful yada yada yada. Spent the first two weeks working on the bike. With all the trips to the parts places began to notice all the guys with limps, neck braces, scars (kid you not). Got the bike running and totaled it a week later. I wasn't too banged up (I managed to tuck into a somersault in mid air so when I hit I rolled mored than flopped). Figured it was someone's way of telling me something.

Lots of people enjoy bikes. But if you ask people who have been riding them for years, I think they will tell you accidents are a question of "when" and not "if".

Just something to think about.

I've had my motorcycle License since I was 16, and I'm 38 now. I've never been down on the road, have ridden sportbikes for most of that time, and love riding... However, I'm selling my ZX9R because I simply don't ride anymore, and I won't feel as safe on the street as I used to... I'm hoping to unload the bike and all the associated tools and parts before my car gets paint, as I'm putting that money towards the Z.

Mike

I used to have a Yamaha 750 back in high school. One day when riding on the highway a vehicle in front of me through up a rock. The rock went through the center of my face shield (I was wearing a full face shield) and cut my nose. I was knocked back and one hand let go of the handle bars. I was totally out of control and couldn't get to the front brake or control the handle bars that were darting from left to right very quickly. I was luck that the bike remained upright and I was able to get it to the shoulder. I drove home down the shoulder at about 20 mph shaking the hole way. I have never ridden a motorcycle other than a dirt bike since. The thing that scared me the most was that no one had done anything wrong or out of the ordinary and I could have easily been killed by dumb luck. My older brother has always ridden a motorcycle but he has a wreck about every third year (two in the last six months). I think maybe my family should stay with 4 wheels but that is just my opinion.

Guest 2slo4u

Man, now you guys are scaring me. I am thinking of getting a 600cc bike of some sort. Out of the three guys at work who have had bikes (One still does), one of them backed into something and broke the fender, but the guy who still has his (Honda 954 I think, and has wrecked a brand new Hayabusa and brand new GSXR1000) seems kinda high strung, and is always talking about speed and stunts. I have had a couple of smaller bikes and agree that people seem not to notice them. Hell, I've almost gotten ran over by SUV's four or five times in my z cars because they aren't paying enough attention. :x Man, I shouldn't have read this post... :lol:

Amidst all this I would say that a bike can be a fun reliable and cheap mode of transportation. I have been riding since I was 16 (Read a ton of km's), yes I have been down a few times, but really thinking on it they were mostly my fault. Usually a lack of paying attention. Riding a bike requires you to look out for everyone else as well as yourself. And I would agree that accidents are when not if, but I think it is that way with any thing you drive (read car/SUV/Datsun). But if you take the MSF course and ride smart you can avoid most major accidents. And really to tell the honest truth my latest bike has been more reliable then my Z... :?

But I also know that it is not for everyone, I know some people who have had bikes but never got into it, just not for them i guess. But one side note.... if this is your first street bike, I would suggest something smaller, IE 600cc. There really is little that a 900 can do that a 600 can't, plus they are more forgiving.

Good luck what ever the choice!

I am in the market for a bike right now (I want a 700-900cc cruiser), and have been doing a lot of reading regarding bikes and safety. I have read within the last month that 95% of motorcyclists that have accidents are self taught riders, or taught by family/friend. Almost everyone into motorcycling now suggests taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course. The website is http://www.msf-usa.org/. I have read a couple articles by veteran motorcyclists and journalists that took the course and felt they came away as a better driver as a result.

My wife and I are planning to take the Basic Rider Course in November, then we will be looking hard at bikes.

I have read within the last month that 95% of motorcyclists that have accidents are self taught riders, or taught by family/friend.

Ah yes... but how many motorcyclists are self taught? I'd say probably around 95%. :P

9 out of 10 people know you can make up a statistic to prove anything.

Guest Chris240turbo

Motorcycles are something I feel VERY strongly about, I remember begging my father for a dirt bike, when I was perhaps 10 years old, he had never owned or probably ridden any kind of motorcycle, and therefore believed that all bikes were evil, I eventually begged/mowed the lawn/cleaned the house enough that my parents bought me, and my next youngest brother an 80cc 3 wheeler (what a powerhouse!) which we rode until the wheels fell off, years later, when I was perhaps 17, yamaha was nearly giving away brand new FZ750 bikes, and I was one of the first in line.

No, this story doesn't end with me being mangled on a bike, just like Mike K, I never went down on the street. However, after that first late 80's bike, I owned several more, and always had a great time riding, and you will too.

The thing that, to me at least. is truely terrifying about a bike, is that you are basically entrusting your life to the general public, think about that for a moment... when some braindead ________ (fill in the blank as you see appropriate) decides to pull out in front of you, and you go down, who do you think is going home with an inflated insurance bill, and who is going home in a bag?

If EVERYONE who was allowed to operate a motor vehicle, on public streets, actually had thier head in the game, I wouldn't be concerned anymore, but a good percentage of the population regards their car, truck, or whatever, as a god given right, instead of a RESPONSIBILITY...

Bottom line, I've enjoyed my time on two wheeled rigs, and maybe in the future I will again, but there is a point that the risks outweigh the pleasure, if you where sideswiped in your Z-car, no matter how nice, you would get sympathy from the peanut gallery here at Hybridz, on a bike, you'd get flowers.... I just sold my last bike, a '93 Buell S-2, to a close friend of mine, I just hope he doen't get killed...

Chris

I've ridden since I was 12. Not consistently the whole time but enough to have some experience. I have to say that if it's your first bike get a 600 or 750 and learn to ride it then step up to a larger one if you still want to. You'd be surprised how fast a Kawasaki Ninja 600 is.

The key I found is to be very defensive when you ride. As several people have already stated, you have to watch out for the other guy because they won't be watching for you, unless they're a rider themselves. I also think that most motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider, at least all mine were. I've only had one bad accident and didn't really get hurt all that badly, but my bike burned up. I lost some skin and have a bit of a bum knee now, but it was because I got cocky and was going way to fast for the road. Easy to do on a bike, especially the superbikes that are built these days.

I ended up getting another bike after that one but my riding style changed dramatically which prevented more accidents. I've since sold the bike and now have no desire to get another, to many goobbers on the roads these days, or maybe I just notice them more as I get older.

One last piece of advice, get a good set of leathers and always wear them no matter how hot it is. When I had my bad accident I was wearing bluejeans, a t-shirt, tennis shoes and a full-face helmet. Lost all the skin off the inside and back of my right arm and the heels of both hands plus various other scrapes and scratches on my torsoe. I jumped off the bike onto the assphault as it went down and then it went over a hill and through some trees. Saved my life bailing off but if I'd been wearing my leathers I would've only been sore not scarred up.

Wheelman

If you are new to motorcylce,then 900 Ducati will be too much bike for you.I recently bought Kawasaki Ninja 250 and i am very happy.Before you consider buying i'd suggest you spend time searching on net what's is best for you.Try http://www.beginnersbikes.com there is a lot of info on all bikes for newbies.Do search for Kawasaki Ninja 250. I'd say buy Datsun it's better for everyday use,plus what you gonna do when it will be raining or snowing? MSF course is a must for new riders for sure,so maybe you go to the course and decide after it what you really need.Just my .02

a couple years ago a friend of mine got me into bikes. he convinced me to take the msf course with him

we both did, and we both got bikes. we both rode with safety in mind, always being careful and always wearing gear.

he's dead now, highsided and broke his neck

the guy riding with him at the time took it pretty hard. put his bike up for sale and everything

he died a couple weeks ago on tuesday. some ******* in a jeep couldn't take the time out of his busy schedule to turn his head 90 degees to the left before turning. there were no skid marks, the bike didn't even have enough time to react and pull the brakes

I haven't really ridden since my friend died. he knew all the good roads, I just followed. not really worth it for me to risk my life anymore. almost got killed twice in two days following the second death

im selling my bike, i was gonna keep it for trackdays but i need cash. maybe i'll pick up another bike in the future, but no street. only track

also, 600cc is more than you'll ever need. i have a 99 r6 with jetted carbs/m4 header&exhaust/k&n filter/520 chain conv w/vortex sprockets, and it is more than I could ever need

with a litrebike, the power is always there. with a 600cc, its tame from idle-10k, and then 10k-15.5k pulls so hard. so if i want to go fast, I keep it in the high rpms. or i can stay low, and get great gas mileage

whatever you decide, take the msf course. but I will tell you that it's dangerous, and you have to pay attention 100% of the time. and even then, it's the other people you have to worry about. cause they don't even look.

All this is excellent advice...

I'd add that if you are serious about riding... Don't be a passenger, and don't take a passenger along on any rides until you have 10,000 miles under your belt... Some travel that in a year, and others take 10 years to get that amount of mileage...

Drive like you are invisible, since you are to most drivers of cars... Always be ready to react. :wink:

Never leave home without the following: Motorcycle QUALITY Leathers (Pants and jacket) with hard armor, or CE armor if that is all you can afford, Motorcycle quality boots, HELD gloves, or good armored gloves, and an EXCELLENT SNELL 2000 helmet. If you can't afford the list of items I listed, then you can't afford the bike... don't think jeans and timberland boots will save you in a crash at 60 mph... :shock:

Ride at YOUR speed, and NEVER ride with people you don't know, or who'se skills are in question... Nothing like having some PUNK do a standup wheelie right next to you on the highway... and developing a speed wobble... :shock:

Trust NO ONE with your bike... I liken riding my bike to riding my wife... Left for me and me alone... attempting to take my place will accelerate your exit from this world! :twisted:

Above and beyond all, IF you go down, figure it out in your mind... Find out what you did wrong. Learn from it, and move on... Accidents DON'T "Happen". It doesnt' just "Get away" from you... If it is YOUR fault, then it is no longer and accident... it is an incident... Suck it up, check the ego and admit you made a mistake and caused the crash... The world of sportbikes is full of osterages with their heads in the sand... None of them want to know what happened or why... Just pass along a prayor for the fallen rider and move on... Idiots... :roll:

Be safe, and be smart...

Mike 8)