HybridZ

DIY 5 lug?

I'v searched on the 5 lug an all I have found is people using kits, isn't there a DIY 5 lug conversion? perhaps using Z31 or Z32 or even S14 donor parts? I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and step up to a wheel size/ bolt circle that I can actually find wheels for, anyone at least try swapping with any of the above ?

Guest JAMIE T

I've never written a post telling someone to use the search. Lots of people here have converted to five lug using mostly OEM junk yard parts. Do a search please.

I will post my version of this as I have not posted it before. I read on this sight of people using Nova rotors and another person (DOT) using Camaro rotors on the front of their cars. I had an 89 Formula Firebird that I was stripping for parts so I thought what the heck. The rotors and hubs from the Firebird fit the Datsun spindle if you use the Firebird inner bearing and the Datsun outer wheel bearing. The firebird rotor is the same OD as the datsun rotor but is a thick vented type. The 89 Firebird calipers are a floating single piston type that does not appear to be adaptable to the Datsun. I am going to try the Toyota 4Runner calipers for the vented brake as I believe these will fit. Dot used a newer Camaro for a donor and was able to adapt the calipers. When I installed the rotors and hubs I tried the 16" Formula Firebird wheels and tires and they fit in the wheel well. My Datsun looks pretty funny with the 16" Formula wheels on the front and small Datsun wheels on the back but I will take care of that eventually. The only real problem with this is that you have the bigger Chevy bolt pattern on the front and the five lug conversions for the rear are all the Ford bolt pattern.

Hope this helps.

I've never written a post telling someone to use the search. Lots of people here have converted to five lug using mostly OEM junk yard parts. Do a search please.

dude you missed my first line, I have already searched and everything I found was using someones kits, I could not fina any swaps using other OE parts which is why I posted the question

Guest JAMIE T

OK then, How about this...

Z31 Front hubs, spacers sold buy a couple of our HybridZ venders. The spacer aligns the rotor in the proper orientation to fit a Toyota 4-Runner 4-piston calipers. Run new hoses and the front is done...

The rear, re-drill the stub axles to 5x4.5" five lug. You can swap to discs or keep the drums.

Yah, dot is running a corvette rearend/shafts iirc, so it was 'simple' for the rear on his car.. I was thinking about this as well (love that 'just slides right on' swap for the front!) and wondered if anyone here HAS redrilled the datsun rear hubs to suit a chev 5 bolt pattern? Is there enough matirial there, and if so, would the chev patern end up haveing one of the holes 'run into' one of the datsun holes? :shock: I keep rolling this around in my head, as decent chev rims (15" 16") are easy to come by.. and I need a brake upgrade anyway... but I'm finding it hard to source out 15 or 16" rims for my Z.. (localy, and cheep)

I was searching for this topic earlier today, 5 lug. And there is a lot to go through on the web site.

Ok I now have a plan for the front of my Z, Camaro rotors and 4-Runner calipers. I would also would like to find reasonable way to modify the rear to Chevy pattern.

Thanks for the post.

I did some more searches and found the Z 31 swap right on with the aformentioned brake uppgrade up front, and the rears can be redrilled to accept the 5 lug as long as you stay on the 4.5 bolt circle, I found a Z32 at a junkyard with nice calipers and wondering if I can make them work, time to do more searches I guess

You want to use a Z31 from 1985 (Turbo only) and 1986-1989 (ALL) for your front hubs. Use the 240/280Z bearings with the 300ZX seals and you are good to go up front. I picked up a set from Zbarn last week for $70 for the pair of hubs complete!

In back, You would have to weld on more material to the stub axles to make the rear chevy pattern work. The reason everyone goes with the ford/ Nissan five lig pattern is because you can make it work with the rear stub axles fairly easily.

Hope this helps... Jamie, I'm surprised you haven't let the cat out of the bag about your NEW ALUMINUM HUBS River City Racing is releasing this month! :D

Mike

Why not drill the camaro hubs between the existing studs with the ford patern and use the ford on the rear? It would definitly be the cheaper option and the camaro drilled rotors are availible at a reasonable price.

If you buy the 300ZX hubs, there is no need to drill... That makes a LOT more sense to me, and cuts down on confusion because the Datsun Z wheel bearings are the right bearings from the factory... And this allows you to keep the 5X4.5 bolt pattern of the Nissan/ Ford...

Mike 8)

Z31 round-flange hubs from late 86 to 89 use a slip-on rotor, different than the penta-shaped early Z31 hubs that use the bolt-on rotor. The later hubs will bolt on, haven't tried to find a deep off-set rotor to match up.

I concur that there is not enough meat on the stub axle flange to drill a Chevy pattern.

Search Z31 and doug71zt on this forum - you will find a bunch of stuff on Z31/Z32 brakes for the 240. I didn't use a kit. All JY and milling machine/lathe.

Doug

I had bought the Z31 hubs and rotors but went with the Azzcar 5 lug. I redrilled my rears without welding anything extra on. I used a rotor hat to transfer the holes. They are hubcentric so it works good. I still have the front hubs and rotors if anyone is looking for some. I also have some drums I drilled for 5 lug that I can include. Caliper are gone though. http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=59&de=754

With the z31 hub a 8.5" wheel with 22mm offset will fit with stock springs perches. Don't know what you would need for wider. If using the stock drums a 9" with 25 mm offset will work with an 8" coil over and clear the fender.

The Camaro brakes look something like this.

ec-723ack.jpg

It was necessary to fabricate a bracket for the back side that attaches to the four bolt flange that used to hold the backing plate. They look similar to the ones pictured here. This is a rear brake kit for a E-7/80 Land Cruiser but you get the idea.

42431-rrdisckit.jpg

The reasoning for going with the Camaro package was simple. The cost of two callipers and two rotors was less than $70 a few years back. New!

However just looking at them you can imagine what the kit would weigh.

I had plans this winter to explore putting on Toyota or RX7 callipers over the GM rotors. I personally would like to try and fit the RX7 callipers as they are made of alluminum and will help out with my gravitationally challenged Z.

Matt are the RX7 rotors vented and are the dimensions close to the GM rotors?