HybridZ

Sorry guys but I did it anyways!

80LS1T

Yeah I went ahead a coated my engine bay with bedliner. I am actually pretty happy with how it turned out. I completely removed everything from the engine bay. Then preped the paint by sanding it down with 100 grit and then proceded to roll on the Herculiner. It took 2 coats to cover about 90% of it and I had to use a spray on liner to get ito some of the cracks. I also used a very light coat of the spray on liner over all of it to make sure it all matched, which it does.

All I know is, I have already wacked the liner pretty good :oops: and nothing happend as far as chipping or damaging it is concerned! I am really happy about that!

After I got it all coated I decieded that I need to "highlight" some of the parts in the engine bay by painting them. So I choose a flat blue engine paint. I think it looks pretty cool actually! :D Im not sure what Im going to do to detail the engine yet but something must be done. I could polish all the alluminum pieces or I could paint them or do a combonation of both. I think I want to try and polish my intake to a mirror like finish and then go from there.

This is what it looked like with the paint....

b4_bedliner-297x193.jpg

Bigger before pic of engine bay...

This is what it looks like now....

bedliner_enginebay-298x193.jpg

After beliner treatment...

I also cut out the battery tray since the battery is now in the old spare tirewell and I also cut off the old AFM mount. Then i moved all of the wiring, minus the wiper module, to the passenger inner fend and some is in the front frame rails. I wanted to really clean up the look of the engine bay and make it less cluttered. This is really going to help. The only wiring left that is really visable is the wiper module and once the engine is back in you will see that wiring on top of the engine and then it will go ito the firewall by the passenger framerail, where the computer is being relocated.

So honestly what do you guys think?

Guy

i think it looks good...

BUT...

i liked the way it looked before better.

its such a pretty blue and would make the engine with the chrome and polishing work stand out so nice.

mike

Trust me guys I know it looked good before. However I am kind of a function first then bling bling kind of guy, so this worked out great for me.

I beleive you can get Rhinoliner in like 10 different colors. I think Herculiner also has different colors but most places only stock the black. I am like 90% sure white is avalible too.

And of couse I will be posting photos of it once its back together and all painted up! :D

Dont worry guys, it'll be alright! LOL :lol:

Guy

Im not sure how much it weights? I only used 1/2 a gallon of it. I still have a lot left over. I think I might redo the underside of the car with it.

The texture isnt as rough as I thought it was going to be but it will scrap knuckle if you rub against it too hard. Atleast my hands will heal, chipped paint wont! :lol: WIth the House of Kolor paint you cant really "touch" it up due to it being a candy color and not just a solid color.

Guy

• 1 year later...

Like everyone said to paint looked gorgeous, but honestly the bedliner stuff looks pretty good too. Just never spray any "tire shine" on it. Although mega shiny it also becomes mega dust magnet, QUICKLY! I found this out the hard way. Assuming you have blue components on the engine, the herculiner ought to offer a nice contrast/ backdrop to make the motor really stand out, which is exactly what you want to have happen, my .02.

I was just reading about your z and it will look great. I was wondering what you did to the rear glass. It looks as though the white stripes go half way up the rear hatch. I couldn't get a clear picture of what is diffirent. It looks interestig.