HybridZ

Do you believe this claim??

Z-Gad

I've seen a couple guys get 700+ RWHP out of an L28 with mostly stock internals.. That huge of a turbo with massive injectors and good fuel management can get a L28 up in the 600hp range with high boost.. add 100 shot of NOS and 700hp is doable.. Probably wouldn't last long if you kept it that high all the time, but YES it has been done by at least two people I know of before :)

The major restriction here is the cylinder head. The inlet and outlet on the same side is really a killer. I have been around the L28 for quite some time and have seen guys make 400rwhp on basic stock internals (but not for very long reliably) with bolt on mods, but even the big hp guys with forged motors, lots of head work, and nitrous are only in the 550+ range...sorry, I'll only believe that one from a reliable source with documentation to back it up.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I have riddin in that car, and Ricky lands over 600HP on a regular basis. It has forged pistons and electromotive ignition with I belive a F9 fuel computer may be a E6K not sure. Can't wait to race him.

Guest bastaad525

whoa... and the established limits of the L28ET have just been rocked :D

I thought 450rwhp was the limit on even modified bottom ends, but couldn't understand why they couldn't be made to put down more. I just had this conversation with someone else on this board and was giving him apparently, the wrong info... gonna go point him to this post.

450? Where did you get that low number?

Electromotive was cranking out 580HP on stone age fuelcontrol only EFI (TEC1) back in 1983...

That was state of the art, then. Now with modern EFI controlling both fuel and spark, that number is available for street cars...

Guest bastaad525

Well... for one I wasn't considering race motors, and I"m not sure if this 600+hp motor they are talking about is street or race or what.

The higest hp legit street L28ET motor I recall reading about is Jeff's 450hp 280ZX. I seem to recall reading others saying that this was about the limit, but I really dont know when/where/how many times I may have read that.

Until now, I hadn't heard any specific substantiated claims of such high hp from an L28, or if I had I don't remember it. I figured it had to be possible though... with enough $$$, anythings possible, right? :D

either way, I'm shocked to hear of an L28 putting down so much power, but I can believe it.

The higest hp legit street L28ET motor I recall reading about is Jeff's 450hp 280ZX.

I guess my car is not legit? Dynoed 451hp/509ft-lbs@wheels running balls rich without the nitrous(125shot). Based on the 134.1mph trap speed the car is making about 510hp@wheels. Also, this is with the converter not putting full power potential to the ground. I am sending it back to have it tightened up on the topend. I hope to see 136-137mph trap speeds.

Guest bastaad525

I guess my car is not legit?

Uh.. no dude' date=' I'm not saying that, to you or anyone else who's Z is putting down excess of 450hp.

The higest hp legit street L28ET motor I recall reading about is Jeff's 450hp 280ZX.

Until now, I hadn't heard any specific substantiated claims of such high hp from an L28, or if I had I don't remember it. I figured it had to be possible though... with enough $$$, anythings possible, right? :D

I said that I RECALL reading about, and that if I had heard of any claims of any higher than that I didn't remember it. Obviously, I"ve missed a few posts or not read everyones sig's to know, or I'd not have been under the impression that 450hp was the 'limit' on these motors. Sorry if you somehow took offense.....

From what i read in 'how to modify your datsuan OHC engine' they even make close to 700 with the paul newman l28, though i would like the twin turbo V8 of his later car :twisted:

however those cars are extremly modified, on stock bottom ends 350 is kind of the durabillity limit right ?

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Na, most everyone on this board makes 350hp with stock bottom ends. I think the first limit on a stock short block is the rod bolts and they are still good for over 400hp I would say.

Making over 500 rwhp on a stock motor is not hard. Just a bigger turbo (more lag), more boost and C16 fuel. As long as detonation is avoided it will hold up. Most people struggle to make 300-350rwhp because they are using turbos that are too small and will only flow enough air for 300-350 rwhp.

Guest bastaad525

see more 'established' limits being debated here.

Even the sticky thread on top of this forum suggests that the stock block is only good up until about 350rwhp.

I expect that the stock Nissan shortblock (the block, crank, pistons, rods, bearings, etc) can be pushed to a maximum of about 350hp. Anything over that and you are likely throwing reliability into the wind. For a really stout and reliable 300hp+, you should consider going with forged pistons. Pre-detonation can kill a turbo engine by melting pistons and breaking ring lands in under a second. Forged pistons will give you a bit more of a buffer. So be careful setting up your engine, and take it easy until you know your not too lean! If you are planning on an engine with more than 400hp, you will need to do some connecting rod prep as well.

One more area of concern, the headgasket. Headgaskets rarely will blow without detonation occurring. If you are going nuts (over 400hp is nuts!) then you should look into block o-ringing or a metal headgasket of some sort.

So which is it? Is a 100% stock block good for over 350hp? Or are small turbo's the limiting factor? I thought the average T3/04 hybrid was worth more power than that?

Frank280zx - thanks that's the info I've been looking for for a while :D I've always wondered how much hp paul newman's car had.. figured it had to be up there.

This is his opinion. My stock unkown mileage junkard block made over 400 rwhp at boost and timing that I "could" run with pump gas.

I road race it at this level and it sees 3500(min) to 7500 RPMs for 30 minutes straight 3-4 times a day per race. In one day it probably gets beat on harder than most of the street cars on here get in a year. I haven't broke a piston since I've been running the stock P90's. There is no reason the stock P90 motor cannot make over 500 with more boost.

A 2JZ will make around 450-480 with a small turbo(T56) at 18-20 psi. Put a T67 on and 28 psi and it's around 600RWHP.

see more 'established' limits being debated here.

Even the sticky thread on top of this forum suggests that the stock block is only good up until about 350rwhp.

I expect that the stock Nissan shortblock (the block' date=' crank, pistons, rods, bearings, etc) can be pushed to a maximum of about 350hp. Anything over that and you are likely throwing reliability into the wind. For a really stout and reliable 300hp+, you should consider going with forged pistons. Pre-detonation can kill a turbo engine by melting pistons and breaking ring lands in under a second. Forged pistons will give you a bit more of a buffer. So be careful setting up your engine, and take it easy until you know your not too lean! If you are planning on an engine with more than 400hp, you will need to do some connecting rod prep as well.

One more area of concern, the headgasket. Headgaskets rarely will blow without detonation occurring. If you are going nuts (over 400hp is nuts!) then you should look into block o-ringing or a metal headgasket of some sort.

[/quote']

So which is it? Is a 100% stock block good for over 350hp? Or are small turbo's the limiting factor? I thought the average T3/04 hybrid was worth more power than that?

Frank280zx - thanks that's the info I've been looking for for a while :D I've always wondered how much hp paul newman's car had.. figured it had to be up there.

I think the confusion was the stock pistons tend to be good for only 400-450 whp right? so with the forged pistons and maybe shot peened rods that number can be pushed way up, I was soo amazed at SEZ3 to see sooo many cars putting over 400hp to the wheels, if it wasn't in the 11's it was slow, I hope to get there one day, but I am thinking 400 whp will keeop me happy, speed cost maney and I can't afford to go any faster than that :twisted:

Guest bastaad525

Well I'm glad this thread got started and all this info getting clarified for me. It's good to know that should the desire ever arise and the bank balance to match, there's still so much power left to unlock on my stock motor :D