HybridZ

1978 280z and ugly bumper's..

Guest searchingforinfo

I have to have a front bumper too.. but heh.. if it's a 240 bumper on a 280, it's alright (the safety inspection guys don't realize bumper difrences too much) I'm using a 71 240 front buper on my 75 280. Roll pan in the rear. Some pics in my album if you wana check them out.. or are you just wanting to go with the 'No bumper at all' look?

Guest searchingforinfo
or are you just wanting to go with the 'No bumper at all' look?

That's what i am going for i was wondering if there was an airdam available with a built in bumper..Or something of that nature..

Thanx for the info guy's!

Does the MSA kit go on so that the rear of the car looks as it does in the ad or does it need a bunch of work , the front I would suppose could or would be less of a problem , its the back that I am concerned about.

On the other hand how good does this look or would someone be better off just having a body shop fiberglass the rear so that it has the rolled look to it..

I have seen some done like that which look great, just wondering how good the MSA kit really looks in person,,in an ad anything can be made to look good ...has anyone seen one on a Z

Thanks

Carolina Z

CarolinaZ,

The front MSA bumper/airdam attaches pretty easily. I helped another Z buddy install the front and rear - the rear was difficult. Have your Dremel tool and a rubber mallet handy :) You will quickly find out where the body lines may not be straight due to a previous owner / body shop mishaps.

DaleMX,

I will put the 70-73 240 fiberglass bumper on once I get to the stage of the bodywork. I am out here in Hiram, Paulding County on the weekends I may come through Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb or Gwinnett and so far I have not been pulled over - maybe it is my age :D or most of the officers are too young to realize the bumpers are removed on a 25 plus year old car. By the way, I am reading how your LS1 swap goes, I may go that route if JTR has the LS1 kit on the shelfs Jan.-Feb 2005.

Carolina Z,

Fit and finish depends on the expertise of the final prep before and during painting. The MSA airdam will look great if the prep and paint is done off the car. It is a simple task, but some shops do not remove the bolt on spoilers prior to painting unless you tell them or you bring your body pieces un-attached to the car.

But you cant take the ones off the back without dropping the gas tank. Im glad I took mine off' date=' those things must have weighed 60lbs a piece![/quote']

not true, i did it without taken the tank out.

took a few hours but well worth it.

never weighed the car before but 77 280z with no bumpers and no supports and it was 2580lbs.

thats with a l28et, fmic, full 3inch exhaust and etc.

not bad

mike

By this point, Im 99.9% sure there is NO gas left in them. Considering how rusted they ussualy are, it's no suprise. Even if there is though, drilling a small hole is safe. A friend of mine used to work at a rest shop years ago, and did LOTS of custom stuf like this. They'd drill a hole to let the presure out, then push the shocks all the way in and weld them in that position. I was going to do this with my 280 bumper, but I happened across a 240 bumper cheep so I just put that on. Saves on weight too! (I'm sure the 280 front bumper is 60 pounds at least.. shocks another 15 maybe..)

Do not expect the MSA kit to fit right on. My front bumper fit great, the rear had 3/8" gaps across the rear and 1/4" on one side. Had to add glass on the underside of the bumper to fill the gaps, it would be easiert to trim to fit than to fill gaps. The side pods were warped and had cracking in the jell coat. The kit is now on the car but MSAs quality control on these parts could be better.

8)