HybridZ

What is this guy smoking?

zguy95135

This is a pretty constant thread on the IZCC email list. I can't believe what people think their Z is worth. :roll: I sure as hell hope that he doesn't get $15K for that car, not because I don't like the guy (I don't know him or anything about him), but because I want to keep my parts cars cheap. I've bought 6 Z's and ZX's for parts for under $500 each now. That's the good thing about Z's IMO. The first Z I bought was an unmolested '72 that I bought from the original owner, always garaged, no rust, paid $2000. My current Z was bought for $1250.

Seems the "collectors" have unrealistic expectations for the value of a Z. The problem will come when ratty Z's actually start selling for $10K... Then I'll have to switch to RX7's or Miatas or something... :?

Then there is my friend's '69. She ended up selling it about a year ago for $7 or $8K IIRC, and it was SWEET. Had a couple very minor rust issues, 60K original miles, numbers matched, had the early crankshaft, etc. I had believed all the hype and thought she would get $10K or $12K for it, ended up quite a bit less than that even though it was genuinely a rare car.

Not to disagree with everyone,but it is sooo easy to spend WAY more than this amount of money on a car with these kinds of parts.Hell,a good chevy road race motor with all the goodies can cost more than that.tube chassis,wilwoods,16 custom wheels,paint ,flares,tires,gauges,fuel cell,pumps,metal fab,race seat,etc,etc,etc.Not that I want to buy it personally,but these are not as crazy numbers as some are making them out to be....

From the auction:

240 Z, STRAIGHT FRAME& BODY, GOOD PAINT, 5 SPD FROM '83 ZX, PHANTOM-GRIP REAR DIFF., TRIPLE WEBER CARBS, ELECTRIC FAN, TOYOTA TRUCK DISC BRAKE CONVERSION, 16" WHEELS, ADJUSTABLE SWAY BARS, STRUT BARS, BATTERY RELOCATED TO REAR, DASH COVER, CORBEAU SEATS WITH 5-POINT HARNESSES. THIS A SOLID CAR FOR EITHER EVERYDAY STREET USE, AUTOCROSS OR DRIVER ED/TRACK DAYS.

The most expensive thing he's got on there is the Weber carb setup, or maybe the seats.

The roadrace V8 that just got posted might very well be worth $15K. This one is not.

EDIT--Yeah, what you said!!!

"There's a sucker born every minute." I think this is what he is looking for, or by asking such a high buy now price he will get his starting price.

A Little History

P. T. Barnum is most often associated with the circus sideshow and the display of freaks. While this is true, he is also the founding force behind one of America's most famous circuses: Barnum & Bailey Circus. Barnum is also affiliated with the famous quote "There's a sucker born every minute." History, unfortunately, has misdirected this quotation. Barnum never did say it. Actually, it was said by his competitor.