HybridZ

Way to change shocks w/o a spring compressor

I changed out the springs and shocks on my son's 240Z 2 years ago by removing the entire strut assembly and then using a spring compressor changed out the springs and shocks. It took about 4 hours.

I recall reading on another Z website that there is a way to remove the bolt on the top of the shock and then jack the car up which allows the spring to expand and then, without removing the whole strut from the car, push the strut down and pull it out of the wheel well far enough to then remove the spring and shock out of the strut assembly. A freind told me that he changed the shocks on his Z with this procedure and it only took about 20 minutes per corner.

Anyone here tried this procedure?

Thanks

Miles

Yah, I've seen this aproach work (my 85 200sx; didn't use a spring compresor, and all was well), but also seen it.. ah.. explode. :shock: (non Z, but similar coil/strut setup) We even took the strut out of the car (it was only only 2 more bolts.. meh) and had it sitting on the driveway, in between my friends legs. ( you can see where this is .. going..) Just as my friend asked "hey.. is this thing gona explode at me..?" kaBOOM. :lol: Luckily, it fires off AWAY from his.. uh... junk, and a trip to the hospital was avoided. MHO, just use a spring compressor to be safe.

I have removed several sets of struts without compressors. With the suspension loaded (on the car), I wrap coat hanger wire at two places on the spring and make it as tight as I can, then pull the struts out of the car, then take off the top nut with an impact wrench (pointing the strut away from anything in case).....putting the springs back on is a bit tougher.....

Tim

Call me stupid but I've pulled apart 3 or 4 sets of stock Z struts with no spring compressor. Just aimed it away from me and hit it with an impact gun. Haven't been hurt by one yet (not even close). The stock 240Z stuff is either sagged out or wasn't that compressed to begin with but I've never see the top hat go more than about 5 feet away. I never put the stock stuff back on so I never have to worry about having a spring compressor to reassemble.

As far as not removing the struts from the car, all you need to do is disconnect the brake lines and sway bars and in the rear disconnect the halfshafts and then zip off the 3 nuts on top of the strut towers and you can pull down on the struts and they'll lean out of the fenders. You can use your spring compressor right there if you're the cautious type, or you can just hit that center nut with the impact and let the strut tops fly!!!

disclaimer--I've never had any problems not using a spring compressor. You can try my method at your own risk... :twisted:

I bought my hydraulic spring compressor off ebay for $70. It was well worth it, considering the amount of money that shops wanted to charge me to swap springs for me.

I don't like those bolt type compressors, they scare me just as much as no compressor. Chasing the thing around on the floor isn't fun.

Oh, and the bolt type without an impact gun is just not fun.

Problems like a trip the hospital...

Well don't take my advice on the spring compressor, but seriously consider taking it on swinging the control arms down and not removing them from the car.

It will honestly save you HOURS, and you can hook your compressor up while the strut is hanging out.

Guest 83supaZ

when i lowered my 99 silverado i didnt have a compressor and instead used ratcheting tiedowns lol. redneck i know but hey.. it worked i just used one on each side of the spring.

After removing a set of springs without a compressor my advice is GET A SET OF SPRING COMPRESSORS. I got a set from Sears when they had a sale. I've looked at the ones from Harbor Freight, but they were a lot lighter then ones I've used in the past, so I went with the ones at Sears. They work well and are a lot cheaper then repairing the damage from a spring flying across the room or worse yet the hospital bills from catching the spring with a body part. I've used them a number of times and would never attempt to remove/replace a spring without them. Simple and safe, what more could you ask for.

- Joe