HybridZ

How many people to lift an LS1?

Guest Script

Not sure if this belongs here, sorry if it is a little off topic. I need to pick up my motor and am wandering how many people I need to lift an LS1/T56 mated together into the back of a pickup. I weigh about 190lbs so im not scrawny but im not built either. My father is willing to help and he is about the same build as me. So how many friends is this going to take?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

An LS1 with a T56 with oil and gear oil weighs 540lbs. One on each side plus one on the tailshaft of the tranny should be able to do it, but 4 would be easier by about 50lbs per person.

Guest 240zJake
An LS1 with a T56 with oil and gear oil weighs 540lbs. One on each side plus one on the tailshaft of the tranny should be able to do it' date=' but 4 would be easier by about 50lbs per person.[/quote']

540 lbs divided by 4 = 50 lbs????

540/3=180lbs

540/4=135lbs

180-135=45lbs

easier by 45lbs

I see a cherry picker in my future, ill need one eventually any way. Any one know of some good places to look for them? I have a Harbor Freight Co. here in town that has them for around $160

uncalled for!!!!!!

Ever heard the phrase "turn about is fair play"?

Guess if was trying to be a prick it would have been. We are all friends here. No reason to start a flame war.

As it was I just misread your poorly worded statement. Guess I didn't grasp the relavance of reducing the load by 50# a person when even the reduced weight is more than 4 guys standing shoulder to shoulder can safely handle. Especially if they are walking sideways while trying to hold onto an exhaust manifold.

One idea is to get a $13 come along at Autozone or Sears.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30329

Laying a 2x6 across the garage rafters and straping the cable hoist to it will lift the motor allowing you to drive your truck out from under it. Or you can go total redneck and tie it to tree. You could even construct an A frame out of some old pipe.

I see a cherry picker in my future, ill need one eventually any way. Any one know of some good places to look for them? I have a Harbor Freight Co. here in town that has them for around $160

Got mine on sale at the local Pep Boys for $120 last spring. Same as the Harbor Freight one. Folds up nice too.

I bought one at Sams Club for $176 wasn’t the cheapest I found. Harbor freight had them for $160 but I liked the one at Sams better. It is made by Good Year so it should be decent quality.

I picked up the engine tonight :D Looks good and every thing seems to be in order, now I just need to find a car to put it in.