HybridZ

V12 vs V8

Chewievette

Awesome work going on there man! I'm curious though.. with the engine set back 'in' what used to be the factory firewall.. what's the leg room gona be like for the driver? I'm thinking the Z is a pretty tight fit to begin with between the throttle and tranny tunnel.. or does it leave enough room to keep stock pedels? (looks to be a fairly wide engine block is all I'm thinking..)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome work going on there man! I'm curious though.. with the engine set back 'in' what used to be the factory firewall.. what's the leg room gona be like for the driver? I'm thinking the Z is a pretty tight fit to begin with between the throttle and tranny tunnel.. or does it leave enough room to keep stock pedels? (looks to be a fairly wide engine block is all I'm thinking..)

Still using the stock pedals, I made a 19" wide recess that goes 8" towards the back of the car. REally it only eliminates the area where the factory heaterbox was. We're using a vintageair setup that is lots more compact so it's not a concern. essentially the inside of the firewall without the dash in place now looks like this.

GTO-40.jpg

GTO-41.jpg

The engine is 25" wide at it's widest point

Chelle

Very nice work Chelle:

The engine sits farther back then most V8s. Any room for a heater?

Thanx Glenn :)

there is a bunch of room still - when you remove the dash and stock heater there is an amazing amount of room in there, tomorrow night I'll get pics of the inside.

Chelle

Heya guys, as promised here's more pics including the interior shots of the firewall :) With the Dash in place it should look pretty good :)

GTO-dash1.jpg

This shot shows the recess in the firewall that the engine sits back into slightly.It didn't really need to be this deep but I did it for easy access, and because this depth made it double as a great dead pedal. I'm going to cut an access hole and make a removable cover to be able to access the back of the motor, heater hoses, etc...

GTO-firewall1.jpg

The other pics I put in just because

Chelle

GTO-framerail2.jpg

GTO-vent2.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the Dry Sump oil pan

Chelle

Here's the engine with no pan,and stock pump removed.

GTO-engine1.jpg

Here's the windage tray attached to the pan

GTO-drysump1.jpg

Pan sitting on bench

GTO-drysump2.jpg

Pan sitting on the engine, in some of these you will see the custom engine mounts we made.

GTO-drysump7.jpg

GTO-drysump8.jpg

GTO-drysump9.jpg

GTO-drysump10.jpg

I’m surprised that with the engine so far back that you still had to modify the pan. Too low? Nice work.

Where will the sifter come out? As I see it should come out behind your elbow. The T56 has provisions for a forward mount shifter, but how does that work?

The gated shifter…? You are going to have to make one. Sorry.

I’m surprised that with the engine so far back that you still had to modify the pan. Too low? Nice work.

Where will the sifter come out? As I see it should come out behind your elbow. The T56 has provisions for a forward mount shifter' date=' but how does that work? The gated shifter…? You are going to have to make one. Sorry.[/quote']

Well the pan was like 3"+ lower than the bottom of the bellhousing. Had I left the stock pump I would have had to have the engine higher and had to seriously modify the trans tunnel. Using the dry sump with the crankcase oil being picked up at the rear of the engine allows a few big advantages.

1. I can lower the car's center of gravity quite a bit.

2. The new design of the pan allows me to pick up the oil coming off the stock windage tray toward the back of the pan. It seems to me since we will be doing a lot more accelerating out of the corners which would tend to push the oil to the back of the pan.

3. With the engine this low there is plenty of room for the eventual custom injection system. Our plan is to cast an intake that would look more like a downdraft weber setup.

4. No real mods required to the trans tunnel between the seats.

The shifter comes through the floor 24" from the back of the engine on some of the T56's even less on some of the others out there. So the shifter hole is a little over 2' back from the firewall.

I kinda figured on the gated shifter.. I'll make one eventually

Chelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nice work!! When I saw the thread someone was going to put the BMW V12 in 240z, l thought nobody would.

chelle,

where are you going to put oil tank?

My project is on the way to put RB26 in 240z and the engine will be run with dry sump system because RB26 tends to blow much blow by gas and oil. One good place I would like to put the tank is where the battery was located. But the space does not seem to be enough, mine is not stretched in this area. So only available area is under the tailgate. I worry it may too far from the pump.

KAZU

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Kazu,

My tank is 24" x 9" (three gallon) and it was in the trunk, With the nose mods I'm thinking about putting it up front but there's really not a problem putting it in the back of the car. If nothing else the long lines act as an additional oil cooler and they give you more capacity. Just be sure to use the largest lines you can to minimize the difficulty the pump faces pushing the oil through long lines.

Chelle

My tank will be in the trunk, thank you for the input.

I'm going to use single -16AN hose for scavenge and -12AN for suction to pump. My pump is 3-stage so two scavenge lines will be combined near the pump.

Kazu

• 2 months later...