HybridZ

Who is using Megasquirt?

Chemicalblue

Although I am not using it in a vehicle, I do have one assembled, fully tested, and "played with". It is a very nice board, and has a lot of software available that is well written IMO. The board was easy (for me) to assemble and test, with no problems to speak of. I would highly recommend buying it from Glen (Glens Garage). Very nice guy, easy to deal with, delivery is a little slow though, but well worth the wait. All the components are bagged and marked, which makes life very easy! I also bought the case from him, which is machined well. I don't particularly like the case as it doesn't seal, but it is okay. I also don't like the DB style connector, but it is what it is. I suppose it works fine, only time will tell.

I also got the simulator board (just buy it, well worth the cost). I would personally say it is indispensible...

The relay board on the other hand, I was not fond of after assembly. I suppose it should make life easier, but I don't like that it is not covered (you should conformal coat it after testing). I would not order that again if I was doing it over.

Now, why am I not using it? I decided to go with the Holley Stealth Ram system with Wideband for my SBC. It is plug and play, basically, and includes much of the same functionality as the MS. By the time I scrounged the parts for the MS to operate, I figured the Holley had an edge in time, and cost was not that much more (buying all new parts that is for the MS). Sure, junk yarding a system together can save money, but did not seem the worth the trouble considering the engine I am using it with (sorta pricey...)

As for using the MS with the L6, I think that would be a great way to go. The only thing is figuring out the sensors (other should be able to help here). Maybe one day I will do this, maybe not. I also wanted electronic ignition control...the Holley C950 has this too.

Sorry, I am not an actual user, but I hope this helps...

Joshua

Chemicalblue,

I have the Megasquirt installed in an N/A 240 and into a turbo 280.

The system runs very well and is very tunable. I can say that any problems I have encountered are due to my errors in assembly or workmanship.

Both cars are not yet daily drivers (see previous statement) but I am building more trust with the system (or should I say my workmanship).

For both cars, I've done the following mods to install a F.I. system. This would probably be the same regardless of which system you choose.

1. Electric high presure fuel pump ( Walbro 255)

2. Larger fuel lines - 3/8" for fuel - 1/2" for return

3. Fuel pressure regulator - Aeromotive

4. Intake manifold for 280z or 280zx

5. Injectors from 280zxt

6. TPS from 240sx

7. IAT sensor from corvette LT1

8. 280zx coolant sensor ( I have ohms vs temp settings for this if you need it)

(*** VERY important to get this right, otherwise car will not run well***)

9. EGT sensor into the exhaust header

10. Welded on sump to bottom of 240 gas tank. Made a huge difference in acceleration when tank is 1/2 empty or less

11. 280z resistors to bring the ohms inline to specs for Megasquirt. Not using pulsewidth control

I used the relay board in both cars, a 280zx ignition system for the N/A 240, and a crane ignition system for the turbo 280. Megasquirt has shown no problems picking up a signal from either of these systems.

Here is a link to my web site. It has pictures of all the cars I'm working on.

There are some pictures of the engine bays showing the relay boards in place.

http://www.execulink.com/~jkube/Mainpage_lethalzs.html

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have been running my megasquirt&spark for more than a year and it has performed excelent.

19lbs injectors of a ford explorer

FPR of a alfa romeo 156 ts

chevy 4 pin ignition module (soon to be replaced by a trigger in the flywheel)

msd 5222 fuel pump

I have used the 280zx auxilary air regulator for idle air

I think the best thing about the megasquirt system is that it tought me soo much about engine tuning and electronics.

Thanks for everyones time. I have a ribic piggy back sys that is running 1 720cc inj and a 550cc inj. I am running the stock n/a ecu and a crain hi6s for retard. t3/t4 ceramic bb 57 trim w/ a custom exh wheel. 6 225cc balanced a bp. inj's. I make about 350 rwhp with this set up, but now its time to lose the airflow meter if I want anymore hp. Will the megasquirt control timing, fuel, ect. ?

I ran megasquirt on my NA Z for over a year with no problems. This year, I did a megasquirt n spark conversion and turbo swap. It took me a few hours to re-tune and that was it. I highy recommend megasquirt, the fundamentals you will learn are invaluable. DO IT.

Will the megasquirt control timing, fuel, ect. ?

Yes, if you use the megasquirtnspark code or the megasquirtnspark_extra code you can control fuel and ignition. The sticky talks more about that. I am just in the process of using the extra code which has many more features and allows easier use of everything.

Yes, no Air Flow Meter needed with megasquirt. The megasquirt is a speed density computer that uses a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure). Speed desnity systems use the MAP sensor in the intake manifold, other systems have to measure the amount of air coming in so they use a mass air flow meter or a flapper type meter like the 280zx. Sometimes it is hard to use speed density sytem if you have a big cam because the intake manifold pressure fluctuates and causes problems with the MAP reading. I don't know all of the issues, but if you want to run a really big cam make sure you research and see if speed density will work for you.

All the links are in the beginning of the sticky.

I wouldn't wait for ultra unless you need coil on plug, sequential injection, or you want the wideband controller built in. Otherwise you can do about anything with megasquirt or megasuirtII(available in January?? as add on proceesor card).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240zoom

I've had MS running in my '75 Maverick for 18 months now (302 bored and stroked to 347, approx 380 hp) works great.

I just ordered the parts for 2 MS boxes for the V12 going into my Z last night.

I can't think of a more flexible, inexpensive and fun way to mess with my engine.

I've had MS running in my '75 Maverick for 18 months now (302 bored and stroked to 347' date=' approx 380 hp) works great.

I just ordered the parts for 2 MS boxes for the V12 going into my Z last night.

I can't think of a more flexible, inexpensive and fun way to mess with my engine.[/quote']

I’m not completely up on how MS operates, but couldn’t you use one box and double the injectors per solenoid? If this is for the BMW 12 then why not run the unit as a six using the impulses off the distributor from one bank and batch fire both sides. A little math might be involved. The only hold back I could see is switching from high to low (or is it the other way around) impedance injectors and risking over loaded drivers.

Another idea is to double the Motorola drivers/solenoids in the MS box itself.

Guest 240zoom
I’m not completely up on how MS operates, but couldn’t you use one box and double the injectors per solenoid?

For fuel only, that would be the way to go but I'm going to use the MS for the ignition as well. As the V12 is essentially 2 straight sixes sharing a common crank, 60 degrees apart, I wouldn't be able to make one MSnS work, unfortunately.