HybridZ

Look at these turbo specs! Are they good?

pjo046

T3/TO4B

Stage III turbine wheel/.63 a/r turbine housing

T04B hi-fi compressor wheel (55lbs/min)

water-cooled & 360deg thrust bearing

Ceramic coated turbine housing

$660 for the base turbo with internal wastegate.

$75 upgrade to water-cooled & 360deg thrust bearing

$60 polished compressor housing

$65 ceramic coated turbine housing

All new parts of course.

Will this make for a quick spool up yet good power? The price, good?

2.75" inlet and 2" outlet.

I personally would not go the TO4B route - go w/ the TO4E w/ a 1/2 spacer to keep the compressor away from the manifold.

MUCH more efficient.

The prices for the xtra seem kewl.

See what the TO4E would run....

I woould also have the wastegate opening ported and have the larges 'flapper' put in it.

That's the same turbo I've got except I've got a .82 housing. I like it.

Edit: With the 360 deg bearing as the only extra. There's a huge difference between 15lbs and 18lbs of boost with this turbo. You need to run high boost to utilize this turbo in my opinion.

Well, I want a really powerfull engine. But at the same time, I'm not just going for maximum power, I want the car to be as driveable at the streets as possible. It won't be a drag car or anything like that, just a weekend streetracer. Thus I want the boost/power to kick in as early as possibly and at the same time, get the best power possibly over the broadest possible powerband. Which combination is the best then?

I've heard several times the T3/T04E with 50 trim compressor wheel and 0.50 A/R, stage 5 turbine wheel and 0.63A/R Turbine is the best deal. Is this so or not? Been searching the forum alot, but haven't found any answers. How come I should stay away from the T04B compressor and go for the T04E compressor?

My goals:

Fast spool up (as little lag as possible)

Broad and efficient powerband

High power output

Earlier I have stated I want to reach 350rwhp etc, well, to clear things up, what I really want is to make a really fast streetracer. Thus I guess it isn't the upper RPM's I'll use the most, so therefore I guess the turbo combo I am looking for should have it's peak performance from 2000-5500 rpm.

Can anyone of you skilled turbogurus here help me out????

I have a T04 with an O-trim exhaust wheel, .69 housing and a .60 a/r compressor housing with a compressor wheel one step smaller than a 60-1 which I believe makes it a 57 trim but I'm unsure. At 14 psi and too rich I made 327 rwhp with my 3.0 Supra engine. Better tune and a few more psi made 357 rwhp. This seems to be in the range you want with a similar sized engine. My peak torque was at 3750 rpm. You can see the 327 rwhp sheet at

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/dyno/7mgte-510-wagn.gif

A .58 housing would give you faster spool. The only issue is converting to a T4 flange. I used to have an L28T in this car and I just welded a T4 flange to the stock manifold with a MIG welder. I know people sometimes have concerns about this but it worked fine for me. I initially had a shop try to Tig weld steel to this manifold and it cracked all 3 times they attempted it. I finally gave up and MIG'd it myself and it lasted for thousands of miles and never cracked. I did the same thing with my Supra manifold and have had that manifold for over 5 years, almost 10 track days, many autocrosses and thousands of miles with no issues. Point is that to convert to a T4 flange was not a big deal for me. I upgraded to a larger T4 as I was reaching the limits of efficiency for this turbo but it sounds like one that meets your wants/needs.

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Supra turbo engine (357 rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674663

I have a T04 with an O-trim exhaust wheel, .69 housing and a .60 a/r compressor housing with a compressor wheel one step smaller than a 60-1 which I believe makes it a 57 trim but I'm unsure.

A T4B H trim would be one step smaller than a 60-1 as far as flow. 60-1 is not an E wheel, it also flows alot more than any E, as does an H. How many blades does it have?

I run a O trim/.69 on my L28 and did run an O trim/ tang .70 hot side on my 7M. I think it is pretty good for overall power without sacraficing to much spool.

I'm not sure of the number of blades, I will have to check. I agree that the .69 spools fine. Anymore power any lower and I just spin the tires anyway. With a torque peak at around 3750 it makes for a flexible engine especially for track days and autocross. My new turbo has the .70 housing and I stuck with the O-trim exhaust wheel.

Anthony

'71 510 wagon, '91 Supra turbo engine (357 rwhp)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/674663

.50 A/R TO4E with 50 trim would be a custom setup since the standard housing for 50 trim is .60 A/R.

I'm going to be making several 50 trim combo soon. (starting next month.) I'll let you guys know more after I get more detail.

I work at a turbo shop now. Sort of fun.

Yoshi,you dog you!,why did'nt you tell me you were at a turbo shop?I so need a friend I can trust in that business! Dont be a stranger you little traitor you.I have a GVR4 now and the Z needs your input too.Come to the next Z meeting and fill us in.

I've been meaning to contact you guys, specially David since he was looking for someone to rebuild his turbo he had and I owe him a favor.

Which Tuesday do you guys meet now? Jim&Nick's still?