HybridZ

Ring gear spacer for 115mm R180

zguitar71

I could not find any info doing a search on this so I would like some help please.

I have an R180 4:11 with the 115mm ring gear. The only LSD's I can find for the R180 is for the 110mm ring gear. Presision Gear is out of the 115mm with no idea when new ones will arrive and quaife said they wanted a minimum order of 10 which I most likely can not do. So does anyone know of or make ring gear spacers for R180's to fit a 110mm carrier to a 115mm ring gear?

Thanks

This is a new one to me. The ID of the ring gear changed on the R180s??? By 5mm??? Seems like a waste of tooling to make a 2.5mm change on the length of the tooth.

I was just shimming my R200 LSD, and my ring gear was not tight on the pilot part of the carrier at all. Mat73GNZ, another member here, had the same situation when he got into his R200. I'm thinking you could just carefully bolt it up with a gap between the ring gear and carrier and probably be just fine. Just measure the ring gear runout with a dial indicator to make sure you got it on straight. The R200 ring gears apparently aren't a press fit onto the carrier anyway, and I've never heard of anyone shearing ring gear bolts as a result, which you would think would be the danger of not using one.

Aside from that Nissan trucks from the mid 80's pretty commonly have R180's with 4.11 gears up front, so maybe you could get one and get the right ID on the ring gear that way and not have to mess with machining anything or worrying about it. You might be able to have a spacer made, but I would think that it would be cheaper to get a truck differential than pay a machinist. Don't know for sure that the trucks have the 110mm gear that you need though...

Or buy a gearset from Nissan with the proper ID...

IMHO the 115mm diameter is the preferred one to have. You have a better chance of finding used 3.70, 3.90 or 4.11 ratio gears (the 110mm R180 only has the 3.36 or 3.54 ratio, unless you can afford new gears), and the 115mm LSD accepts the CV axles without modifications

Nissan switched from the 110mm to 115mm in August 1976, according to the NISMO catalogue. FWIW, Subaru used the R180 with a viscous centre in some of their models, so I would expect that there are some aftermarket centres available that will fit the R180 housing (perhaps Kaaz?).

My stub axles (Diff end) are a welded combination of Subaru shafts and Datsun 4-bolt flanges for universal joint half-shafts. But I would expect that any of the aftermarket plate type diffs would be sold with replacement stub axles... or at least one stub to replace the stepped shaft into the viscous centre.

My stub axles (Diff end) are a welded combination of Subaru shafts and Datsun 4-bolt flanges for universal joint half-shafts. But I would expect that any of the aftermarket plate type diffs would be sold with replacement stub axles... or at least one stub to replace the stepped shaft into the viscous centre.

So you had the (outer) flanges of the Subaru stub axles cut off and replaced with the Datsun four bolt flanges? What sort of LSD is the Subaru, clutch type?

Wouldn't CV half shaft have been better? They are available complete with stub axles and will slip right in a Nissan R180. The problems then could be length of the CV half shaft and adapting it to the outer Datsun axle flange.

So you had the (outer) flanges of the Subaru stub axles cut off and replaced with the Datsun four bolt flanges? What sort of LSD is the Subaru' date=' clutch type?

Wouldn't CV half shaft have been better? They are available complete with stub axles and will slip right in a Nissan R180. The problems then could be length of the CV half shaft and adapting it to the outer Datsun axle flange.[/quote']

Yes - the ends of the subaru stub axles were machined off and a datsun flange welded on, and it is a viscous centre - O.K. for an NA, but the turbo just spins a wheel anyway. Still better than an open diff.... but I'll be keeping an eye out for a plate type R200.

The Subaru diff uses a stepped shaft on one side for the viscous centre, so you have to use the subaru stub axles. These diff's are imported to Aus without shafts (plasma cutter job), and the CV/stub axle assembly costs around $500Au per side. So - much cheaper and easier to keep the Nissan shafts.