HybridZ

Fidanza flywheel or save for the LSD

heavy85

Well since the engine is out being rebuilt anyway I was considering getting a nice light Fidanza flywheel but in reviewing the car budget for the year I dont think I can and still get the LSD. The flywheel runs about $320 and I think you can get the Power Brute (I think that's what it is anyway) clutch type LSD for about $500. I'm thinking it's a no brainer to skip the flywheel but want a few oppinions from those who have been there. It's for a '72 240 with L28 moderately build (tripple mikuni's, cam, headers, etc) used mostly for autocross and nice days on the street but occasional drag. I understand the benefits of a lighter flywheel but in a bang for the buck mentality is it really worth it much?

Thanks

Cameron

My suggestion is to go with the light flywheel now, because you have the engine out and won't have to pull the engine again to install it later. Save your $$$ and purchase the LSD later on down the road. The only plus side to my suggestion is, you will save yourself labor and maybe a fewer busted knuckles if you go with the flywheel first.

The LSD is going to make a much bigger difference especially at autox. I'd get the stock flywheel lightened, that only runs about $150 and you can get it down to about 15 lbs. A lightened flywheel is more prone to warping, but it should still hold up fine as long as you don't burn the clutch holding the car on a hill or be a dumbass and drive around with your left foot resting on the clutch pedal.

Many machine shops can do this lightening for you. If you decide to hold out for a really light one, then I'd say do the diff first. You can just drop the tranny and swap the flywheel, you don't have to pull the engine. Clutch in a Z is a pretty easy job and that is basically what you'd be up against to swap the flywheel later.

On the autox course the LSD is a must but the flywheel is not. I have both now but if I had to give up one it would be the flywheel. Without the LSD I spin the inside tire way too easily and that's using Goodyear racing slick in the stickiest compound made for the size I use (9x23x15 R250 compound). The flywheel makes the feel of the car better and helps match the rpm to the trans on down shifting better and decreases (slightly) the power loss to the wheels but in time gained (or actually lost) on the course I would guess the LSD would take away .5 to 1 second vs no LSD and the flywheel maby .01 seconds vs a heavier flywheel. So I say go with the LSD.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I bought an LSD so the flywheel is out - by the way that diff is a lot heavier than I would have imagined, but I do happen to have an L24 flywheel in hand and yes it is 2 or so pounds lighter than the L28 flywheel. So is this a direct swap or is there some other bits that need to go along with it?

Thanks

Cameron

Where did you get the LSD? Is it a Power Brute?

I got it used out of an '88 300ZX turbo. I was leaning towards the Power Brute but my old R200 diff has an ungodly amount of backlash so once I figured either replacing it or repairing whatever was wrong plus the cost of a new LSD it started to get expensive. The one I got seems to be in real good shape, but we'll see if I ever get my engine back together.

Cameron