HybridZ

How would you ship a dashboard?

Z-Gad

I have a 75 280z dashboard and stock gauges I am about to put on Ebay. It is in perfect condition and is still soft (was replaced in the mid-late 80's after a theft). The center console and heater control panel are perfect as well (also were replaced). Anyway, the reason I haven't put them up for sale yet is that I am trying to figure out the best way to ship these items. I didn't know whether or not to put the dash on a pallet and take it to a shipping company, or put together a large box to ship it in. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last time I shipped something that was about that big I just used UPS. However at the time I had been doing a lot of selling on Ebay so I was in the UPS store every other day so I was buddy buddy with the guy behind the counter. So since the package didnt weight that much he just rang it up and the driver just picked it up and put it in the truck. I know this isnt what you were looking for but if your buddy buddy with the guy at the UPS store you might be able to get the same kind of deal!

Guy

The last dash I shipped I wrapped in the large bubble wrap, taped it and then wrapped it nice and tight in cardboard and taped the crap out of it. You can cut the carboard here and there so that it lays flat all over and just use lots of tape. Worked good for me. I also did a t5 transmission like this and UPS shipped it, no problem. Hope this helps.

JT

Last time I shipped something that was about that big I just used UPS. However at the time I had been doing a lot of selling on Ebay so I was in the UPS store every other day so I was buddy buddy with the guy behind the counter. So since the package didnt weight that much he just rang it up and the driver just picked it up and put it in the truck. I know this isnt what you were looking for but if your buddy buddy with the guy at the UPS store you might be able to get the same kind of deal!

It's been my experience that "the UPS store" has about 100% markup vs actually going to the UPS location and dropping it off directly.

I would imagine a dashboard is going to be what they call Oversize 2 or Oversize 3, otherwise known as really damn expensive to ship. You can check rates at http://www.ups.com

To figure out the surcharge for oversize, look here: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/oversize.html

Yep, sold to Joel...

I will be picking up bubble wrap tomorrow and lots of cardboard.

Thank you for all the advice. I have an in w/ DHL, so I may use them.

Joel, I'll let you know when it will be ready. I think that Friday will be my best bet to get it out to you.

Mike

Go Greyhound on large box items, as long as your not too lazy to pick it up when they call you ! Most Bus lines drive straight through making it sometimes faster than any other carrier !

I've done a lot with them (1800-231-2222)

Always arrived with less box/carton damage than any other.

Vinny