HybridZ

guys please help me out on this... really in a jam

Guest ON3GO

hey guys..

ok so 2 days ago the car starts acting up even more then it was before.

it spudders in all gears at all different throttle.

the car jidders and bogs in all gears. its running SO rich that im getting like 8mph. also the coil wires are sparking from the wires to the main coil part.. both the neg and positive.

its got a BAD miss also.

the fuel pressure is nice and steady though and the afm looks fine and dandy.

not burning any oil that i know of or anything.

boost does sorta come on slow but then again it did before as its on stock boost.

im running stock turbo injectors, aeromotive adjustable fpr, walbro 255lph pump and jsk fuel rail.

it seems at any fuel pressure setting its doing the same thing and doesnt change.

i do have some draw coming from my charging system, as the alternator cant keep up i think..

changed the coil and it does the same thing also.

im lost and need to have this car running good.

i did just buy a Microtech standalone for it but i wanna make sure i correct these problems before i swap over to a standalone.

mike

I've never seen a car run so rich that you get 8 mph. :wink: I suggest you put it in 2nd gear. That ought to get you at least 15 or 20 mph.

If you have sparks jumping from the coil wire to the terminals, your coil wire doesn't sound like it is plugged in all the way. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and if the path of least resistance is to the terminals on the OUTSIDE of the coil, that is a sign that you have a serious problem with the coil wire. If your sparks aren't going to the spark plugs, it isn't going to run right. Did you check the end of the coil wire? Is it broken off? Did the boot slide down the wire so that the termination on the wire doesn't go all the way into the socket on the coil or maybe it doesn't get all the way into the distributor? Did you try replacing just the coil wire?

ANY car that has a bad coil wire or coil wire connection is going to hesitate and shudder in every gear, and it will get worse with load.

guys im for real. im getting maybe 8mpg...

dohh saw i wrote 8mph.. hahaha my bad.

i check the wire, its fully in the coil and in the cap.

wire is good too.

mike

You could be running too much fuel pressure causing a rich condition or your afm could be a little loose on the spring adjustment causing a rich condition. Make sure your pressure regulator vacumm hose to the manifold is not leaking or unplugged. Mine used to come unplugged under high boost until I zip tied it. Good luck.

Hi Mike

if you have spark jumping at the coil before and after replacing the coil than either the wire is damaged (you can check the resistance for the wires), not inserted properly or the cap/rotor is faulty (inspect closely). I would suggest you replace any of those items that are not new (off course new parts are often enough defective, so if problem persists consider replacing with new cap/rotor & cables or try an different/older set if you have them laying around in the garage...).

Just for kicks ..... pull the vacum line off of the fuel pressure regulator while the engine is trying to run at idle, or whatever RPM you can get it to while you pull the hose.

Plug the hose with your finger.

If fuel comes out of the port on the regulator it has a cracked diaphragm. Go get a new regulator.

Keep us posted on what you find,

Alan

its electrical..

today and yesterday the car runs awesome.

some pinging up top but it pulls awesome.

so when i put the standalone in ill just re-wire the car.

mike

p.s. fuel pressure is 35 and goes to about 42 or so when boost comes on.

I agree with the others... Your coil wire may "look" good, but I'd bet there is something amiss with the shielding in it and there is a split in the casing somewhere (and I've seen this first hand on new "out of the box wires" ) OR you have a faulty cap. One or the other and needs to be addressed for sure...

Now onto the BIGGER issue... Pinging up top? You need to address that asap before you kill another motor... I read a while back (Before XMas) how you was strapped for cash, so my guess is you don't want to be looking into the face of another motor rebuild... dial in some more fuel, or back off the boost...

Mike

the above suggestions sound like the causes of the problem may be closer to being solved...Just a question how did you check out your afm? Some but not all of the conditions sometime can relate to a bad one ...but then again also bad/grounded spark...

After addressing the spark.....take a few steps back deep breath then go thru everything again...head temp sensor connected (causes rich condition), ecu good...check plugs to ecu, check for no vac. line or air leaks in afm to turbo boot... etc. etc. etc.

Guest magnadyne
Have you replaced the Dist Cap' date=' since this happened?

might want to throw a different one on there.[/quote']

Good call.

What you describe sounds a LOT like ignition problems. Bad wires, cap, rotor.

I have had this happen in many vehicles, and the conditions change a little. I have had it feel like I was running out of gas, to it feeling like something was slipping & catching. It starts out being the worst under load. Like when you first take off, but it is only going to get worse if you don't fix it.

Definitely start at the ignition, see if your cap & rotor is bad.

Also, if you want to see if your wores are bad, spray a little water on them - turn off the lights - start the car. If you see a light show, you have bad wires. ;)