HybridZ

T56 6 speed install tips and shifter recommendations

When I had mine in the car, the factory unit with the bolt on piece shortened seemed to work real well... Very smooth and I never missed shifts. I had the Hurst, and the Kirban in my Corvette and BOTH are junk. To much tension on them for my taste! My T5 came with a steeda Triax and is VERY nice!

Mike

During my install, the passenger's side upper and the driver's side lower tunnel needed some masaging.(with a sledge-hammer) Also you can add clearance by die-grinding down some of the bell-housing casting ridges on top, and on the pass-side.

I've got a B&M short-throw shifter. The hole was relocated approx 3/4" further back than stock.

Hope this helps

Dave

I have one... I used the Weir bellhousing and hyd. throwout bearing. I like it a lot! Bolted right up! Also it got rid of the huge slave cyl. that sticks out where your exhaust should go and I got to use the standard, cheaper, more options, flywheel and push type clutch. I have it in a 280Z and I had to do a small amount of pounding for the backup switch. I am using a B&M shifter, it fit fine, no cutting and feels pretty good too!

It depends on where the transmission is in relation to the existing tunnel hole. With the JCI kit my T56 was about 1/2" forward of the stock Nissan T-5 shifter location. What I had John do was use the original Datsun shifter lever - shorten it about 1 1/2" - and weld an offset tab on the front of it at the bottom that moved it about 1/2" back and set it at an angle that located it perfectly for my specific driving position. Everything else is stock GM.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, THat is what I did initially but a few strong arm shifts to third and the synchros were toast. I ended up going with the pro 5.0 because it has positive stops. Hoping to help the synchros live a little longer. Of course if I would learn to down shift properly and do it consistantly..........

Mark