HybridZ

Header question for all

Hey guys, I was talking to a header company this past week and they are interested in designing a full length header for the early sbc in the jtr setup. They want to start with that one first. They would be willing to design a set for the auto and the manual. My questions is, do you think there is enough of a damand for it? If the demand is not there then I think it would be a waste of time for them. Once my car is done and the engine is in the setback position I told them they could have my car for as long as they needed for R&D. I want to see if there is enough interest before I call the guy back. I know MKelly is working on something but isn't that for the LS1? Let me know what you think. If you have any suggestions by all means suggest away.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

questions about full length headers pop up here pretty often. i would be interested in hearing more about this. i'll be in the martket for at least 2 sets made for the sbc in jtr within the next year. my interest would be further peaked as long as they fit better than the s&s 5205's and as long as they come with 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collecters... and depending on the price.

I guess I will wait to talk to the header company until I see how S&S plays out. I'm not sure there is enough of a market for two companies. My contact says they would fit it for all trannys that are commonly used in the conversion. So 1 7/8" and 2" primaries and a 3' collector is what everyone is looking for? Shouldn't there be two versions, one for the larger hp sbc and one for the average hp sbc? This company already works with JTR on the S10 conversion and is familiar with there setup.

I think a company that already works with JTR would understand our needs and be able to meet them. If it were a quality product it is needed. Just look at the number of people on this site. And this is only a fraction of the people in need. I think the demand will continue to grow as time passes. Put me down for one this year and one next year.

I'd go ahead and proceed. S&S's stance is it has more to do with how the motor is placed and less with their header, which means they aren't as interested to me...

I'd be up for a better design and I could pretty much guarantee that JIm would be interested as well as Pete P.

Mike

I would be in if they are a quality piece of work. Close as possable to equal length, and has good collecters on them. My car is right hand drive so its really tight on the right of the engine bay. Block hugers only just fit. You have to get around the starter, mounts and the steering. Not looking forward to having to fab some myself.

Douglas

Guest Matt Millen

I used the S&S headers recommended by JTR and they needed too much work to fit well. Both collectors dumped into the footwells and needed to be heated and re-bent. I would be interested in a cleaner solution.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in!!!!! This is one of the places the JTR conversion is lacking, IMO, especially for higher HP V8s versus mild ones.

At this point, I am looking at a very optimized 406 SBC that should be putting out 550 lbft/hp once the converted Hilborn gets done and everything is together. But the 1-5/8" block huggers headers will strangle that down quite a bit I'd imagine. I've not really spared a lot on this engine since the short block was built (heads, roller cam, etc.), so skimping in the headers/exhaust and using my existing setup doesn't make sense. If this doesn't work out, I may buy some S&S 5205s and hack them up to make them fit. Either that or spend the next winter making a custom set. I don't want to either.

The real question is tube size. Too large a primary can kill the low end. I'm thinking 1-3/4 may even be enough for my engine. Just as important are primary tube length, collector diameter and design (merged / tapered) and near equal length. Well, that's what all the literature from HeadersByEd.com says anyway.

Anyone know what the primary length of the S&S headers are (and how much they vary)?

Spending $300-$500 on headers means they should fit AND give performance. Not just fit..

I'd be up for it and if they perform and have better clearance, I could probably talk Jim into them as well..> Sooner the better, since we are moving close to fabricating his exhaust...

On the S&S front, If you are using a Canton Oil pan, YOU MUST cut the pan because the header won't bend enough to get around it...

I'm becoming less and less impressed with these S&S headers... They are functional... But...

Mike

Mike,

Which Canton pan are you using/referring to? I have been researching shallower (but still 7 qt) pans, and found that B&B and Hamburger both make a 7" deep road race pan. I currently have ~8 1/4" +/- Milodon pan, and will probably throw that in the heap of extra's since ground clearance looks to be at a premium. What do you think of the Canton pans? Can you recommend a good place to buy such a beast?

Thanks,

Joshua

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I Would Be Interested..... My 350 Is Mild About 350hp 400ft/lbs. So 1 7/8 Primaries To 2 1/2" Collectors Would Be Fine For Me.

Mike' date='

Which Canton pan are you using/referring to? I have been researching shallower (but still 7 qt) pans, and found that B&B and Hamburger both make a 7" deep road race pan. I currently have ~8 1/4" +/- Milodon pan, and will probably throw that in the heap of extra's since ground clearance looks to be at a premium. What do you think of the Canton pans? Can you recommend a good place to buy such a beast?

Thanks,

Joshua[/quote']

The 15-240 serires (which one of those depends on the year of your block):

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/pans/road_race/sbc_road_race.html

It's 7" deep and

- has "5 Trap door baffles, removable one way screen windage tray with built in crank scraper".

- "sump holds 6 quarts which gives a 7 quart system capacity."

As far as I can tell, the Canton pans are what many racers use in road racing with the SBC. Champ pans has some that the dirt track guys use.