• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Old thread, I know.

But I've searched here for quite a bit and didn't find the answer:

Does the Canton 15-244 - SBC F BODY RR PAN fit with block hugger headers?

I have the 15-240, and after measuring it and looking at the car, it's clear (as Mikelly and Jody found out) that it won't fit with block hugger headers unless you chop the extensions on the pan and reweld.

I'm not into doing that, so I'm wondering if the fact that the length of the F-Body pan's extension/sump is much shorter, will it fit with block huggers? The issue is the block hugger headers have the collector close to the block and pointed down, right into the area of front part of the side extensions on the 15-240 pan.

I realize that the 15-244 pan is 7.5" deep, and I'd really like 6.5 or 7" deep. I may have them build one that is shorter.

FWIW, I'm running the old OE Corvette 6 quart pan and notice that if I'm flying around right hand clover-leaf entrances that the oil pressure goes from about 60 psi (Z-28 pump, pickup is 3/8" off the pan) to about 20psi at 3000 rpm or so. I'd really like to address this before the mid-July track days I've just scheduled at Summit Point through trackdaze.com. I COULD add more oil, but from my measurements, adding more than 6 quarts of oil means that the crank throws will actually be dipping into it when the engine is not running. I could spend a bunch of money and labor on installing an Accusump system, but that's a bandaid for a known oiling problem that I'd like to address with a good pan/pump/pickup solution that someone has proven to work on track or road race V8 Z's.

Cheers,

Pete, I wouldn't spend a dime on anything less than a dry sump system at this point. That's what I'll put on the LS1 when we build it.

That said, The champion pan works well with angle plug head huggers, but I"m not sure it'll clear straight plug head huggers... Price a dry sump setup before you move forward on a new pan/pump/pickup/shaft/hardware....

Mike

Old thread, I know.

But I've searched here for quite a bit and didn't find the answer:

Does the Canton 15-244 - SBC F BODY RR PAN fit with block hugger headers?

I have the 15-240, and after measuring it and looking at the car, it's clear (as Mikelly and Jody found out) that it won't fit with block hugger headers unless you chop the extensions on the pan and reweld.

I'm not into doing that, so I'm wondering if the fact that the length of the F-Body pan's extension/sump is much shorter, will it fit with block huggers? The issue is the block hugger headers have the collector close to the block and pointed down, right into the area of front part of the side extensions on the 15-240 pan.

I realize that the 15-244 pan is 7.5" deep, and I'd really like 6.5 or 7" deep. I may have them build one that is shorter.

FWIW, I'm running the old OE Corvette 6 quart pan and notice that if I'm flying around right hand clover-leaf entrances that the oil pressure goes from about 60 psi (Z-28 pump, pickup is 3/8" off the pan) to about 20psi at 3000 rpm or so. I'd really like to address this before the mid-July track days I've just scheduled at Summit Point through trackdaze.com. I COULD add more oil, but from my measurements, adding more than 6 quarts of oil means that the crank throws will actually be dipping into it when the engine is not running. I could spend a bunch of money and labor on installing an Accusump system, but that's a bandaid for a known oiling problem that I'd like to address with a good pan/pump/pickup solution that someone has proven to work on track or road race V8 Z's.

Cheers,

Edited by Mikelly

Pete, I wouldn't spend a dime on anything less than a dry sump system at this point. That's what I'll put on the LS1 when we build it.

That said, The champion pan works well with angle plug head huggers, but I"m not sure it'll clear straight plug head huggers... Price a dry sump setup before you move forward on a new pan/pump/pickup/shaft/hardware....

Mike

This is mostly a street car. I'm thinking that someone has come up with a decent way to keep a SBC oiled in a mild RR application without going to dry sump. Sure, it may not be as reliable as a dry sump but better than what I have now and acceptable for the short term. I will consider a dry sump system when I can find the time to do it - but with only a month and a half to go until the track day, I'm not going to start that swap...

I'm going to start a new thread on this if I can't find a good dry sump thread...

Edited by pparaska

Pete, Canton will shorten the wings on the pan. That's how I got a good RR pan to work with the S&S's, they took the f body pan and shortened the right hand wing. I don't recall how much they charged, but it wasn't much. This has worked fine to 1.38 g's for me.

John

Pete, I was able to use the 15-240 with the hooker block huggers. Took a bit to make it work. I cut the 3 bolt flange off and about 1/2"-3/4" of the "collector". got a 2 1/2" doughnut and made a tight but not kinked bend. If I recall, it didn't go foward much, just kinda back toward the frame away from the block/pan. Used another part of the doughnut for a front to rear bend. Worked ok. Both pipes wound up next to the pan and not real low. I'm sorry the engine is out and the headers are gone. I do remember having to shave a bit off the tension rod box (~1/4"?). With that in mind I feel pretty good about the 15-244. I like Canton pans alot but there are a few others that might be good for you also. milidon and champ come to mind. I'm suprised no one has sugessted an accusump or accumulator. That might be a mid step to dry sump....

really like your car, It was a good inspiration....before I got all eat up with the horsepower bug.

Lewis