HybridZ

MMvs.MSA front brake kit

Well I figure I should upgrade my front brakes with my turbo swap and was looking at the 4x4 toyota upgrade. I don't want to scavenge the jy so I was looking at MSA's kit and Ross' kit. There's a $45 dollar difference but they seem to have different parts. Is one or both not complete? What else will I have to buy to make it work? Which kit is superior or are they both selling the same stuff? I'm a dummy when it comes to brakes and will be having a shop install it. I just want to make sure I have everything I need. What do you all suggest? This car is for street/strip no autoxing.

IMHO and there are others that will disagree with me BUT, MSA has never impressed me with there customer service. Rarely is shipping prompt. Yes they carry stuff that most vendors don't and hat is off to them for that. Ross has answered question for me and many others on this board. For the extra 45 bucks you get a guy you can call or email questions to AND get an answer.

Mark

Well I know their cust serv. sucks and shipping isn't an issue because they are 20min from my house. In fact that is why I wanted to know if there was any difference between the actual products. If not I rather not wait for any shipping and just get the MSA kit. If MM's kit is superior though I would spring for that. Also I was told that it would be a good idean to save up and spend extra on the wilwood kit. Is this a huge/necessary upgrade from the 4x4? or just a waste of money for mostly street use?

For mostly street use the stock brakes are fine. Just repair rebuild as necessary and get a good set of pads. If you are planning on doing any track days, Save upp for the wilwoods. They will hold up to track events much better than the stock stuff. Stock can be made to work on the track as some here will tell you but, it is maintence intensive.

Mark

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I Believe The Difference Is The Msa Kit Doesn't Include Rotors And The Mm Kit Doesn't Include Calipers. To Me I Believe Its Easier To Find Rotors Than Calipers So Its Your Choice.

I think that the msa kit has the sw8 calipers that are bolt on to the existing rotors. The mm kit you need to buy seperately the calipers and he provides the spacer, rotor, brake lines, and pads. I have been told by members here that if you are going to do it do it all the way. Having the bigger rotors makes a difference. Check the clasifieds here, I think I saw people selling there 4x4 calipers. You could save money and just order the spacers from mm and find rotors at a jy.

Well I figure I should upgrade my front brakes with my turbo swap and was looking at the 4x4 toyota upgrade. I don't want to scavenge the jy so I was looking at MSA's kit and Ross' kit. There's a $45 dollar difference but they seem to have different parts. Is one or both not complete? What else will I have to buy to make it work? Which kit is superior or are they both selling the same stuff? I'm a dummy when it comes to brakes and will be having a shop install it. I just want to make sure I have everything I need. What do you all suggest? This car is for street/strip no autoxing.
Which brake kits are you comparing? Ross’s kit is for a vented Front Brake Package at $345. The MSA kit that would compare is the XL Four Piston Caliper Kit at $599.95 plus $72.74 for rotors. The difference is that Ross’s kit doesn’t include the calipers (I got remanufactured fully loaded calipers from eBay for $130 including shipping). The way I look at it Ross’s kit is a better deal, and that's why I bought it.

BTW – I haven’t found a way to call Modern Motorsports. I don’t think he takes phone calls and he doesn’t always return emails. Although this goes against what most others will tell you, MSA has always been available to answer my phone calls whether I was purchasing something or just asking for advice.

I'm with Bartman, MM doesn't even list a phone # on his site. I'd like to talk to someone before I spent that kind of money. MSA does have sucky service but aleast they will answer your questions. The kit MM sells is the better deal to me, but what good is that if you have to write an email, wait, get your answer, write another email and so on and so on. I bought the MM kit, GREAT stuff, VERY POOR communication. I have started using fonebooth.com. You can CALL an get a real live person on the PHONE that can help you make a good choice for your application. The prices are competitive too.

That could be what the hold up was? If it was that he has had computer problems since before Christmas. Even so, don't get me wrong his parts are top notch, but I think that if your going try and run a business selling after market car parts you should have a tech line # and a order #.

Ross works another job 40+ hours a week hence the reason for no direct phone line. The Z community just isn't large enough to support him 24/7, or I'm sure he'd have phone lines available to the public. I've used lots of his parts and they are top notch, he goes the extra mile to include EVERY piece of hardware you might need, and his customer service is top notch.

Since I started this whole mess, I will try to clear up my statements. First of all, I posted my comments about MM because of this:

For the extra 45 bucks you get a guy you can call or email questions to AND get an answer.

My experience has shown that this statement is not true. You can not call Ross and he does not always respond to email (sometimes no reply at all, or it can take a week or more to get a response). This is not a recent issue, so it has nothing to do with computer trouble.

I have purchased items from MM, but I have to make sure it is exactly what I need without being able to talk with someone on the phone. This has caused me to purchase some other items that I might have purchased from him, via other suppliers. For instance I purchased my coilovers from Arizona Z Car because I could talk with them on the phone about my specific needs.

I've used lots of his parts and they are top notch, he goes the extra mile to include EVERY piece of hardware you might need, and his customer service is top notch.

Yes his parts are top notch and he does seem to include everything you need, but what do you mean by top notch customer service? For me, you need a phone for top notch customer service. If you purchase from them you just need to understand the limitations with a pure web based business.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll give Ross Credit for being supportive of the parts we got for Jim McNemar's project, although a lack of communication between us caused a lot of grief, and there was enough blame to go around between the owner of the car, Ross, and I.

I blasted him offline and had a few tense words on the phone before we got beyond that and got down to fixing the problems with car and parts... Once the issues were sorted, Ross gave me a direct line to him (And no you can't have it, per his request). I've had no issues since.

I can also atest to the fact that it is hard trying to run a parts manufacturer/ supply business and have a life as well as work 40+ hours per week. Life just gets in the way, and no matter how hard you try, you'll never make everyone happy, so you are better off shooting for pleasing yourself... Hence the reason I gave it up!

Buy the parts that best suit your needs for your application from who you think you'll get the best service from. You're within driving distance of MSA so maybe you'll have better luck than others. You have been given excellent pro's and con's of both, and some reasonable, if not perfect world (No such thing in the Zcar world) reasons why Ross is hard to get ahold of. You can either live with it, or you can't... that is a personal button for some of us.

There are other solutions out there as well... Arizona Zcar is a candidate and Mike Gibson still makes and sells his Outlaw brake kits...

There will also be another solution for brakes soon. River City Speed is putting together a brake/ hub combo using the PBR brake caliper, along with a 240Z offset hub with a Over-hub brake hat design. That project is currently in beta test and will be released shortly!

Mike

I havent bought anything from Ross.... YET.... but I will. I emailed with a couple of noob questions, and got a reply the next day, and perhaps to forestall more noob questions, he let me call him. I spent over an hour on the phone with him, in spite of offering several times to let him get back to his real life. I have bought items from several other vendors mentioned on this site, and never got the same service or feeling that Ross gave, unsolicited. When the planets, my bank account, and the tides all align properly, I will be sending Ross a fairly large amount of money.... cant wait.

tannji

I havent bought anything from Ross.... YET.... but I will. I emailed with a couple of noob questions' date=' and got a reply the next day, and perhaps to forestall more noob questions, he let me call him. I spent over an hour on the phone with him, in spite of offering several times to let him get back to his real life. I have bought items from several other vendors mentioned on this site, and never got the same service or feeling that Ross gave, unsolicited. When the planets, my bank account, and the tides all align properly, I will be sending Ross a fairly large amount of money.... cant wait.

tannji[/quote']

I'm glad that Ross answered your questions and allowed you to call him. It appears that others have received this "top notch" customer service as well. For whatever reasons there are others (including myself) that cannot say the same. I've sent Ross a couple of emails with pretty straightforward questions related to making a purchase (I was ready and willing to pay) and on one occasion it took several weeks to get a simple reply (that was in regards to spring rates and I purchased them from Dave at Arizona Z Car after he talked with me on the phone) and on another I got no reply. Obviously I also wasn't one of the chosen one's who were allowed to receive his secret number and give him a call.

If I got the customer service you did I would have done more business with him.

I will have to chime in for a second on Ross. I purchased a rear disk brake kit from him last year and he was very prompt on the email responses. I later inquired about a coil over set up (via email) and again I received a very quick answer to my questions.

Now I did not try to call him nor did I even ask for his phone number so I guess that wasn't important to me at the time. The bottom line is this, I bought from Ross once and I would buy from him again.

As far as MSA is concerned I have had a nightmare getting some parts shipped in a timely manner with them. But then again I have had pleasant experiences as well. I once joked on the phone with one of the techs that I probably should own stock in their company by now.