HybridZ

New paint job with pics, something different

clarkspeed

I thought I would post some pics of my fresh driveway paint job. Normally I wouldn't paint outside but this is a race car and I wasn't really too concerned with a few flaws. With this car I'm sticking with the "looks good from 50 feet at 50 MPH" rule. I basically cleaned, wet sanded down entire car, hammered out a few dents, filled cracks with fiber reinforced filler, filled small chips with glaze, one shot of primer, and sanded down. Shot it under an EZUP canopy.

The final coat is a change for me. I used an industrial coating instead of automotive paint. Paint store suggested it. PPG ALK-200 acrylic modified enamel with ALK 201 Polyuerthane enhancer. I guess many of the racers use it. It has no UV protection so extended time outside will cause fading. With shade, shine should last 1-2 years. Comes in a gallon ready to shoot. No reducer needed. Just add hardner for shine and durability. The best part, gallon was $25 and $14 for hardner. They can color match also.

I was afraid the paint would be slow to dry but it flashed quicker than most all automotive enamels. "Driveway job" turned out pretty good, bugs and leaves didn't mar the paint at all. I did the entire car in one careful shot.

I may be sorry later, but for an indoor kept beater or race car, this looks like a nice alternative. Finish is excellent, flow was good, easy to shoot, has polyurethane, and quick flash to keep the bugs out.

Should get the vinyl graphics later this week.

New%20Paint%20001.jpg

New%20Paint%20002.jpg

New%20Paint%20004.jpg

New%20Paint%20008.jpg

I lean toward the dark colors on early Z's but the white really covers up all the flaws I didn't feel like working out. Should be really easy to repair too. The down side is I need to be careful about using fender covers or this thing will look like the shop floor at Pep-Boys.

The wheels are CCW single piece. He only made them for a couple of years.

I'll post again when I get the graphics on. More to come.....

• 5 months later...