HybridZ

It is NOT L28DET its L28ET

AK-Z

The D in nissan designated engines is for dual over head cam which it is not.

the designation is as followed:

S = Sport model

L = luxury model (I don't know why, they are all sports car)

RB = Race Built

## (i.e. 24) engine displacement

D = dual overhead cam

E = electronic controlled engine management

T = turbo

R = race

So a 240z's engine would is called L24 and a 280zx's engine would be L28et

and in the case of the fairlady z432 and z432r (JDM only) it would be RB20d, and I don't think they made a turbo version for the z432® models. The RB20d was originally called the S20,but was changed when they started putting them in the next line of cars like in the Skyline r31 (version 2) and in the JDM version of the Maximas (Cefiro in japan). The early Maximas (Cefiro) originally had a SOHC thus being RB20e. If any of this is wrong, have any contradictions, or if you would like to add something, please do reply.

You're mostly right. The 432Z had the S20 engine, not the RB. Even though it was twin cam, they did not give it a "D" designation. This is also the case with the FJ20 found in 80's Skylines. They were twin cam, electronic injection, and available turbo. They were designated as FJ20e and FJ20et. The "D" designation seems to have shown up with the RB series. The RB20 would be labeled RB20de, for a non turbo fuel injected version. Pretty much any Nissan engine will have an "E" designation for electronic fuel injection, other than the diesel engines of course.

Brian

.......and in the case of the fairlady z432 and z432r (JDM only) it would be RB20d' date=' and I don't think they made a turbo version for the z432® models.

The RB20d was originally called the S20,but was changed when they started putting them in the next line of cars like in the Skyline r31 (version 2) and in the JDM version of the Maximas (Cefiro in japan). [/quote']

I have no idea where you got all this. Sorry to be brutal, but it is nonsense.

The S20 could be seen as a precursor to the RB range, but it is NOT a direct derivative. For a start, there was more than a 10 year gap between the end of S20 production and the introduction of the RB series ( in the 1984 Laurel, by the way ). In between the S20 and RB20 was the FJ20 - a much closer relative to the S20 design even though it was a four cylinder. There is no direct design link between the S20 and the RB. They are quite different engines. Maybe you could link them spiritually, but not genetically.

And as for RB standing for "Race Bred" or "Race Breed" or whatever, it seems that this is much more likely to have been tacked on after the fact ( and quite possibly outside Japan ). Certainly Mr Shinichiro Sakurai - the man inextricably linked with the Skyline range and engines such as the GR8, S20, GRX, FJ, RB20 and ultimately the RB26DETT - has I believe never mentioned such a thing.

• Like 1

S = Sport model

L = luxury model (I don't know why' date=' they are all sports car)

[/quote']

if I remember correctly L is for left hand drive. it was the designation given to the engines of this series that came to america in the late 60's early 70's.

correct me if you know other wise

jesse

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Pegged It, this is a post of dubious heritage, and that's being extremely charitable.

"L" was a simple configuration designation, you are crossing VIN designations into the Engine Classifications. Amongst other things.

This will become one of those "reference posts" that will perpetuate evil internet myths ad nauseaum.

Not even close!

As for LD28, That's a DIESEL. Now if someone converted it to EFI and Gasoline, then that wouldbe one thing, but its' still an LD28. The manufacturer sets the engine designations, not aftermarket builders.

L31 anyone? it tells you what it is, but it's not a Nissan Designation.

As for the RB-S motor connection, I'm getting charged up and will stop now, before I go off the deep end. There is not a connection, one did not evolve to the other. Not even close.

:rolls eyes:

Alan Pegged It' date=' this is a post of dubious heritage, and that's being [i']extremely[/i] charitable.

"L" was a simple configuration designation, you are crossing VIN designations into the Engine Classifications. Amongst other things.

This will become one of those "reference posts" that will perpetuate evil internet myths ad nauseaum.

Not even close!

As for LD28, That's a DIESEL. Now if someone converted it to EFI and Gasoline, then that wouldbe one thing, but its' still an LD28. The manufacturer sets the engine designations, not aftermarket builders.

L31 anyone? it tells you what it is, but it's not a Nissan Designation.

As for the RB-S motor connection, I'm getting charged up and will stop now, before I go off the deep end. There is not a connection, one did not evolve to the other. Not even close.

:rolls eyes:

Agreed.. I'd say the mods should just delete this post, or at least move it to the 'recycle' forum.. I just don't see what usefull info this post adds to the site..

I guess if one is using a hybridized engine and uses the designations of the components to label it then they should make that clear to avoid confusion. For example: "LD28/L28ET hybrid" for LD28 bottom half, L28ET top half, or "B23F/Aq171/B234F/B2004ET hybrid" for a Volvo B23F block, Penta Aq171 crank, pistons & rods, B234F head, B2004ET exhaust manifold/turbo. The same should apply for the Mitsubishi hybrids and all the others.

So we should agree that, at least on this site, engine designations should be factory designations for the engine and hybridized engines need quotes and the word "hybrid" within the designation to avoid confusion. DAW