HybridZ

Gran Turismo 4 for PS2.... freakin amazing!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just picked this up today. To sum it up in a sentence, it was worth the wait! A ton of cars (close to 700, covering classics, muscle, modern, sports, compacts and even trucks), a ton of tracks, much better graphics and physics, and many more Z's to pick from (including the 280zx FINALLY! sorry but I still have love for my first Z, an S130) :D . This game BLOWS Gran Turismo 3 sooooo far out of the water, along with any other racing game I've ever seen or played.

but if you really want to PLAY it, and enjoy it the way it was intended to be (as only the most realistic driving 'game' ever created), you really HAVE to plop down the extra $150 (well $130, you can get a $20 rebate from Logitech if you buy it together with the game) for the Driving Force Pro steering wheel. I bought the wheel and it's just friggin amazing... full 2.5 turns lock to lock, a stick shifter, pedals, and true force feedback that reacts PERFECTLY to whatever is happening in the game... this thing will yank all over the place! The force feedback is the best part... I can't empasize enough how well this thing mimics driving a real car.

I know a lot of you guys aren't gamers, but really, if I had no interest in games, but as much interest in cars and racing as I do now, I'd probably pick up a PS2 just to play this game. It's a pretty hefty invenstment, especially if you need the PS2 to go along with it, but I would feel it worth the cost.... this is as close as you can get to driving like this without risking tickets and/or smashing up your car. And by that I mean, it is REALLY CLOSE... definately more of a true simulator than a game....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bastaad525

I LOVE the rallying in GT3, haven't tried it in GT4 yet, but I found the physics and controls on dirt to be fantastic in GT3. Apparently GT4 gives even more rallying, as well as adding snow/icy tracks into the mix as well, which GT3 didn't have.

Hope you didn't pay much for GT3... I've seen used copies in excellent condition at the local Gamestop going for lik $7.

Dude... get that wheel!!!

Guest bastaad525

:-P funny I was just shopping around on the net and found it as low as $107...

you know I really need to get it thru my head to check stuff like this online first. Many of the sites selling it for around that price include free shipping, fast shipping too not 7-10 day crap.

So even a better reason to get this wheel.

The only problem I see with it is that I dont have a good table or stand to attach it to and would prefer to just sit it in my lap, but the attachment for that isn't included (it was with the previous GT wheel), and the only place to get them is straight from Logitech... price is $20 and they are currently listed as out of stock... DOH!

Anyone have any idea if there are PC emulators for the PS2? I dont think I am going to go get a PS2 for one game.... especially as I am about to build a new AMD 64 pc with all the goodies... but on the flip-side, the AMD 64 should have the grunt necessary to run a emulator with no probs... and that game would be my first purchase..... played the hell out of the original GT on PS1.... spent many hours on the driving tests alone.... then many more on the phone with a friend so we could do the enduance races "simultaneously" and break eachothers records. My Lancer was a setup he couldnt beat, even with the maxed out Mitsu.

Does GT4 have brake pedal calibration that actually works? (GT3 did not)

Because the driving force Pro wheel STILL has the same voltage drop problem to the brake pedal that the original Driving Force had. That means you only get 75% or so braking ability, which makes it impossible to get all the golds in GT3.

That pissed me off so much when I found out. Logitech KNOWS about this problem. They still didn't fix it in the new product!

Anyone have any idea if there are PC emulators for the PS2? I dont think I am going to go get a PS2 for one game.... especially as I am about to build a new AMD 64 pc with all the goodies... but on the flip-side, the AMD 64 should have the grunt necessary to run a emulator with no probs... and that game would be my first purchase..... played the hell out of the original GT on PS1.... spent many hours on the driving tests alone.... then many more on the phone with a friend so we could do the enduance races "simultaneously" and break eachothers records. My Lancer was a setup he couldnt beat, even with the maxed out Mitsu.

Kinda in the same boat here...

But no, there aren't any feasible emulators yet.

Check out the progress of them here

I think I will buy a PS2 for this...

Mario

Just picked it up yesterday myself, and yes you really need the wheel. I'm probably going to buy it pretty soon but as for now I've been using the controller and it is really difficult. Bought me a GNX for my first car, now have it up to 530 hp and smoking Vipers like theres no tomorrow. The graphics are amazing and the sound is awesome too when you hook it up to the Dolby surround sound. I just wish I had an HDTV to play it at 1080i in widescreen.

Just got it tonight. Unfortunately you can't use the right side stick for gas/brake. This is a bummer for me cause that's how I've set up the controller since GT2. I guess it will take a little getting used to, might just have to break down and buy the wheel. What does that come with, pedals or something??? If so, how's the feel on the pedals?

Just got it tonight. Unfortunately you can't use the right side stick for gas/brake. This is a bummer for me cause that's how I've set up the controller since GT2. I guess it will take a little getting used to, might just have to break down and buy the wheel. What does that come with, pedals or something??? If so, how's the feel on the pedals?

Are you sure about that? Mine lets me use the right analog stick for gas/brake

since i take the racing driver seat out of my car for the street(to hard to get out of) i am making a frame to fit the seat,steering wheel,and pedals for my logitech steering wheel.got some square tube laying around.if i was going to buy a new seat for this i would buy a mastercraft or some sort of off road racing seat though because those are comfy.my sparco is kind of hard.

Are you sure about that? Mine lets me use the right analog stick for gas/brake

Hmm, I guess a little more fiddling with the options is in order. I thought it was weird that it would allow analog left stick but not analog right stick. Thanks for the tip though..

One more thing. Am I imagining things or were some of these tracks in GT2 but not in GT3, and now they're back in GT4. The graphics are so different it's hard to be sure and I haven't played GT2 in maybe 6 or 7 years, but some of them seem really familiar...

Guest comeandzpa

Absolutely phenomenal game, and yes the first thing I drove was the S130 (in my burgandy color :)). The right analog stick can be used for gas/brake, and yeah I'm pretty sure some of the tracks are throwbacks to GT2. I thought it was pretty awesome that they have such a variety of classics, including 1800s Mercedes. Anybody else notice the Jay Leno tank-powered car? The graphics in this game are absolutely outstanding, my parents looked at the TV and thought I was watching a car show :shock:

Im gonna go pick it up today! I cant wait to try out the rallying,

Small graphical touches this time around include 3D crowd models, which are most noticeable during the rally stages. Spectators will run out on the course to take pictures of your oncoming vehicle. Then they'll scurry out of the way at the last moment. Meanwhile, throngs of spectators will back up en masse as you speed by them on the dirt tracks. Though you can't hit these pedestrians, their collective presence on the courses adds a nice feeling of danger and claustrophobia to the rally stages
They even included a Model T, I'd like to put some nitrous and a turbo on that :twisted:

Or this...

561066_20050222_screen008.jpg

Who wouldnt want to drive that bad boy?

I was going to save up for a paintball pistol, but thats gonna have to wait :-D

Absolutely phenomenal game, and yes the first thing I drove was the S130 (in my burgandy color :)). The right analog stick can be used for gas/brake, and yeah I'm pretty sure some of the tracks are throwbacks to GT2.

Yeah, I can be a dumbass sometimes. I was screwing around on one of the rolling start races, and it was saying Full Throttle press X and so I did, and I assumed that you needed to press X to get full throttle. Then I went into the options and tried to change, and you can not choose right stick for throttle and brake on the option screen, so I thought I was stuck using the buttons.

Thanks though, much more fun with the right stick working...