HybridZ

Stick or auto LS1/240Z

Guest Drive-ability

Guest Drive-ability

Guys I just sold off my 93 Rx7, 5 speed, rotary, twin turbo.

My biggest problem with that car was the way you had to work the car through the gears to get it up to speed. Small displacement engines like these have lots of horsepower but no torque. The thought of shifting from 1st to 3rd was out of the question. I just got sick of masausing the car during normal driving. I am leaning toward a automatic/Ls1 because of thease above reasons.

I haven't driven a Ls1/T56 of any configuration and am wondering if the sure engine torque is so much better it wont be anything like the Rx7. What do you guys think of the overall drive-ability of the T56 compaired to the 4L6E?

I think that's going to depend on whether you like automatics or manuals.

Either one should give you more than enough torque transfer.

From what I've always seen/heard Automatics tend to do better in the 1/4 mile while manuals tend to do better on road courses.

I am installing an LS1 in my 240Z and the motor I bought came with an auto. I actually had the motor and trans in the car but I always liked to shift a car and I had talked myself into believing I would be happy with the auto. Well time kept passing and I couldn't get over the thoughts of "a real sports car must be a stick shift. So I bought a T56 six speed. I just know I wouldn't be happy with the auto. My daily driver (2002 MAxima SE) is an auto and quite boring.

Joey LS1Z did the LS1/auto and when his auto blew up he went to the six speed too. He say there is a world of difference and he is so much more happy with the six speed.

Just my opinion but I'll take mine with a six speed.

You won't need to row the gears as much on an LS1 equipped car...

Here is a GOOD example... At Virginia International Raceway, a 3.4 mile road course, I'm using TWO gears right now, and probably won't be using more than three gears as I get "Good" in my LS1/ T56 Equipped C5. Even in the slowest corner (OakTree is a 180 degree turn and is taken at less than 40mph) I'm in third gear. As I get good, I'll Down shift to 2nd there and come out a little hotter IF I can keep the car smooth!

The LS1 makes so much usable torque down low that you don't "Need" to shift. It will lug along in 6th gear at 1100RPMs and 50 mph!

I drove a TTRX7 and know what you mean about really working the shifter to get back into the power band... You won't experience that in an LS1.

Mike

Automatic vs. stickshift is one of the great perennial debates, but the thing to keep in mind is that for a torque-challenged engine, either transmission will require effort to use the hp-band effectively (much of this effort is transparent with automatics), whereas for a high-torque engine, gear selection is less important and gear changes are less frequent.

So, regardless of your eventual choice of transmission, the LS1's driveability will be better than the TT rotary's.

Guest tony78_280z

What I want is a 700r4 (auto 4 speed) with a transgo shift kit allowing full manual control. They have a kit that allows manual control in 1, 2, & 3; but D is still automatic through all the gears. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

Aside question: Anyone know if a 700r4 with the full manual transgo kit control requires a TV cable still? I'd think not since the gas pedal (Throttle lever) wouldn't control the shift points... I would.

What I want[/b'] is a 700r4 (auto 4 speed) with a transgo shift kit allowing full manual control. They have a kit that allows manual control in 1, 2, & 3; but D is still automatic through all the gears. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

My boss has this in his Cobra kit car. Slap shift up to 3rd then into D for 4th and OD. Pretty cool!! I am pretty sure it was a kit he had a tranny shop install for him.

Tony,

I would *think* so. Doesn't the TV cable also control line pressure? Besides, if putting it in "D" puts it back into Automatic mode I'd also think it would need the TV cable for at least that mode.

I'm still looking into the 200r4...which I know alot of people don't like, but the GN crows seems to be having good luck with it. It seems like it has better ratios all the way across the board (including OD)

Guest tony78_280z
Tony' date='

I would *think* so. Doesn't the TV cable also control line pressure? Besides, if putting it in "D" puts it back into Automatic mode I'd also think it would need the TV cable for at least that mode.

[/quote']There are two ways to set up the kit. One is Automatic with manual down shifting. And one is full manual control. I personally want the full manual control cause that is the kind of control freak I am. I'm thinking about getting a foot powered fuel pump too. (Just kiddin)

Depends on personal preference and intended use. Mine is a daily driver and I really like rowing the gears so I opted for the T56. If you're planning on some serious drag racing then you want an automatic. Whatever you do make sure it has an OD.

For day-to-day driving the T56 starts in second, then 3rd, then 5th - unless you are in a real hurry. Plenty of torque. Only use 1st & 4th when I'm showing off. 6th comes into play any time I'm cruising over 50 MPH.

To run a 700R4 you'll need to reprogram the PCM to remove the transmission script so you don't get trouble codes. I did this to place a NV4500 5-speed behind my 1996 Chevy 4.3 (originally with a 4L60E). These codes can also affect how the engine actually runs. There is also the issue of mating the 700R4 to an LS1 where you might need a different or custom converter. That depends on the converter bolt pattern and the transmission input shaft. I ran into this problem when I wanted to put a 2000 4L60E (originally behind an LS1) behind my 1996 Chevy 4.3 (installed in my modified 1971 Land Rover). At a cost of $500, I chose to keep the NV4500 5-speed in place for now. You can run the 4L60E and install a TransGo shift kit to allow for manual gear selection. You WILL need to reprogram the LS1 PCM to remove the Torque Management Control if using the 4L60E with manual shift capabilities. I am using Chevrolet's standalone harness and PCM which comes without torque control or emissions. It is bare bones but still requires reprogramming to match tires and gearing, plus in fuel/timing changes you might want.

I can chime in on this one. As Dave menctioned, I had the 4L60e trans and I wasn't really happy with it. Reason being I built the car to drive and enjoy. Come on guys. The car is a sports car! Not to be a quarter mile rocket!(unless that's your intentions)LOL! One main thing that was very noticable is the Z is like 2 different cars. The torque and power with the t-56 is amazing. WOW!!!!! Still have to switch my ECU from auto to manual, Thanks Mike!

JOEY