HybridZ

Time, Time, Who's Got Time

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

I just got back from an open air concert at a local shopping plaza. While I sat there listening to an Elvis wanna-be I had time to muse about my slow-moving 240z project. bonk.gif

When I set out to build a V-8 conversion, I knew it was going to take months, if not years. I figured the project would take a minimum of 200 hours of my time, and at the rate I’m going that could translated into decades.

The problem is, life just seems to get in the way. I have way to many irons in the fire and the Z project seems to be slipping onto a back burner.

I’m a single guy with no children and a more-than adequate salary, so I really have it pretty good. Money isn’t a problem, but finding time to spend in the garage is.

For me, the main roadblocks to good, solid time on the Z project are the JOB, bicycle riding, pool playing, basic house and yard maintenance, motorcycle stuff, social interaction with a very social girlfriend :D , exhaustion and surfing the Internet.

My typical weekday day breaks down into eight hours of rack time, and 11 hours of job-time (that includes the time getting ready before and coming home after). Figure another hour or so for late-night wind down time. That leaves about four hours a day during the week when I might work on the Z.

At least two nights a week are consumed by the girlfriend :D and another by lawn-mowing, household chores and other crap. Pool playing happens at least one night, and I try to squeeze in at least a couple of nice long bike rides. When all is said and done, I have a couple hours free on Monday nights for working on the Z.

Now on weekends, there’s typically a couple long bike rides, a multi-hour pool playing session, riding the motorcycle (Honda XR400R), and more girlfriend time :D . Basically Sunday afternoons are free for the Z project. Sometimes.

When I set out to do this project, I didn’t realize the greatest challenge would be finding the time to actually DO this project! malebitchslap.gif

Don't let the thought get you down, James. Life get's in the way sometimes, but that's not always a bad thing smile.gif

You just have to prioritize what you want. The majority of your swap does have an ending (although the 'tinkering' is continual) and you need to budget time to get it done. Since you work quite a few hours, you have budgeted some good downtime, but that time can be channeled into the Z car for a while.

That's right, I'm talking about cutting back on the girlfriend time :D NEVER GIVE UP POOL! lol

Davy

You've got gobs of time but, you also have a bunch of interests beyond the Z. Here's my suggestion:

1. Sell the motorcycles.

2. Sell the bicycles.

3. Sell the pool cue.

4. Sell the girlfriend.

5. Sell the lawn mower.

6. Sell the computer.

Now you'll have more money and time to work on the Z! :wink:

If you work on it at least one day a week, you will be surprised how much you accomplish without getting burned out. So many members have given up or sold their Z`s long before they even got started. There are few suggestions I would like to make, that might make the endeavour a little easier.

1) Keep the Z as a hobby only(not primary transportation)

2)never borrow money or use credit for ANY of your parts (only use cash that you have to spare)

3)never set a deadline for completion(it will cost you alot more money in the end)

4)Always shop around for the best deal possible.

(this goes for everything, not just the Z) You will have more extra cash for your hobby.

5) Be realistic about your plans.

and last but not least

6) If you`re married, Make sure that your wife has a nice ride too.(she won`t be jealous of yours) ;)

I`ve had my 1st Z for 3 years it is finally getting painted. I`ve nearly finished an MGB for my wife, including paint, in about 6 months. she`s so happy about hers being done that she didn`t mind my buying a second Z. I have never borrowed or charged even .01 cent for any of my projects. Because of my bargain hunting, you would be surprised how little I have in both Z`s and the MGB. (probably less than most would have in one car)

DUDE....you're not getting ANY sympathy from me :D

I'm married, have a kid, a house (lawn front and back), 3 other cars (besides the V8 Z project) to maintain, work 10-16 hour days, travel overnight several times a month, and attend the odd family (in-law) functions.

Progress is SLOW, but steady, and that is all I can ask for. I no longer go out to pubs, the beach (200 yards away) or movies, rather I work on the Z.

At the end of the day it is only a hobby, but I'm ready to get this thing on the road, so I am giving the project priority 1 on weekends, at least for the next few months. It's been 2 years now!!! twak.gif

Tim

I hear ya Tim, I don't see how you get anything done on the car but then you come up with the taillight conversion and sweet as electrical wiring block, you da man.

As for James, you just gotta prioritize. I've given up bodyboarding, skateboarding, snowboarding, computer graphics, play station, etc. I only see my friends when they stop by my house! I've been working on mine for 3 years, no kids but am married, and working full time cuz we're a single income family. A lot of the 3 years is due to slow working and indecision about how to proceed on certain things, this includes making modifications way too late in the process.

Owen

I'm the poster boy for "it may take forever, but it CAN be 'done'"

The worst thing to do is get discouraged that it's taking so long. If you want the car to drive and not the experience of building it, then it's best to either forget it, or pay someone to do it for you.

My Z sat for a year and a half while I moved, set up a garage, house, etc. Then, I'd get burned out and discouraged (Lots of rust will do that!)and not touch it for months (sometimes 6) at a time. But I kept at it, while hearing TONS of people who had no idea of the amount of time and effort it takes to do something like that always ask "When's it going to be done?" Non-car people. With other things pulling me away (family, work, THE INTERNET, etc.) it really stretched the project out (11 years start to finish). But in the end, it was worth it.

The thing that many people didn't understand was that I was (usually) having a great time DOING the project, and the final outcome is kind of like icing on the cake. Now, I'm having so much fun driving it, that I don't work on the stuff I've left unfinished!

Guest the_dj
Originally posted by pparaska:

I'm the poster boy for "it may take forever, but it CAN be 'done'"

The worst thing to do is get discouraged that it's taking so long. If you want the car to drive and not the experience of building it, then it's best to either forget it, or pay someone to do it for you.

My Z sat for a year and a half while I moved, set up a garage, house, etc. Then, I'd get burned out and discouraged (Lots of rust will do that!)and not touch it for months (sometimes 6) at a time. But I kept at it, while hearing TONS of people who had no idea of the amount of time and effort it takes to do something like that always ask "When's it going to be done?" Non-car people. With other things pulling me away (family, work, THE INTERNET, etc.) it really stretched the project out (11 years start to finish). But in the end, it was worth it.

The thing that many people didn't understand was that I was (usually) having a great time DOING the project, and the final outcome is kind of like icing on the cake. Now, I'm having so much fun driving it, that I don't work on the stuff I've left unfinished!

Pete, if something comes up and you lose your mind and decide to sell your car, then after I buy it I will have to beat you with a pipe for selling it. ;)

Sam

Guest the_dj
Originally posted by pparaska:

Sam, I can't imagine what would make me do such a thing, but I guess anything's possible. If I get tired of it, I'll just change something on it!

I know you won't, but some people do. Look how I got mine. I hope I never have to sell it. I would cry for sure. cry2.gif

Sam

I drove my 81 ZX for two years beore starting my swap, and 2 months afterward before pulling the engine again, rebuilding it, swapping heads for more power, complete new exhaust (manifolds to mufflers), and swapping my th350 for a t5. I have WAY too much of my life invested in this car. I will drive it till I total it ( my definition of totaled, not some insurance company's...), then pull the engine to put in something else. I literally have blood, sweat (a lot, i live in texas), and tears invested in this, not to mention way more money than i can really afford. But like I tell my girlfriend and the guys at work "everyone needs a hobby...".

Besides, it keeps me out of trouble. At least until I have it on the road again...

Bill

I understand the no time thing. House, two kids - one married now but the younger with a Christian rock 'n roll band that I handle merchandising for,job that averages about 11hrs/day plus traveling, visiting mother in nursing home twice a week, church on Tues & Wed night plus Sunday mornings. Spent this past weekend replacing the pump motor on the pool and chasing electrical gremlins. Fixed it just before the algae bloomed.

I realized I had more available cash than time so I'm having all the heavy conversion work done by a garage. I spend my one night a week I have available crawling the car and reviewing progress - or non-progress as it has been lately. In the last three weeks all that has happened is I got some minor body work done and the engine bay painted out. The car looks great but has a really big hole under the hood. If you've got the spare cash - get someone else to do some of the work. Be selective and control your costs but at least the project will progress.

James: Why do you want to be any different than the rest of us! :confused: All of us have had our turn in the barrel, and some of us are still spinning!!! I haven't forum posted much in the way of my Z project. There are a few, Terry, Mikelly, Pete, Tim and Lone) who are aware of what I have managed to accomplish.

Purchased new in '72, driven until '83, my Z is rust free with less than 60,000. Placed her in storage on blocks for 18 years collecting dust. Why...too many other obligations such as yourself.

April of last year, work was getting to me, decided on building a Pro Street/Show V-8 Z standout. With that decision I joined the ranks of so many of our fellow HybridZ counterparts.

During the past 16 months the project has come a long way...with much help, inspiration, and exchanging of ideas from those mentioned above.

However, there is one unchanging fact with this type of undertaking...its a time honored tradition that cannot be rushed, short cut, or inadvertently moused. To do it takes, time, money, tenacity, and in most cases the shared understanding of spouse and family.

Facing the same delimas as you, priorities need to be set. The vehicle is an extension of yourself, your dreams and aspirations, coupled with mild set backs, bonk.gif challenges cry2.gif and occassionally frustrations. twak.gif

Projects change...time increases...and anxieties build. Normal! Example, my latest enterprise is back-halving the entire rear section of my frame to add a 4-link with cut down Ford 9"...just so I could run 29"x18.5"x15's on the back. That little revision just added another year to my work time!

So, you need to set long and short term goals, adjust them as needed, allow the extra time for unforseen contingencies, and make the most out of building your dream car. In the end its all worth it. cheers.gif Just ask Terry, Mike, Pete Tim and Lone! We've all been there, some just a little longer than others.

Comps, VAN 2thumbs.gif

Guest jdllaugh

Well, Sunday afternoon rolled around and nothing stood in my way!!! I busted wrenches bigtime! Dropped both the front and rear suspension and the differential. The only things left attached to the car body are the fuel and brake lines. I've even scrapped off that tar-like material from the interior. From start to finish, stripping the car only took five months! :D

The next step is to mount the body on my home-made rotisserie, spin it upside down and strip off the underbody coating. Then I have to cut out and replace the rusty floors.

Talking about the time on project.... My last project was replacing the tired 2.8 v6 in my S10 pickup with a 3.4 v6 from a Camaro. The motors are externally identical. You just take the components off the 2.8, bolt them onto the 3.4 and drop the new motor in the truck. Bolt off, bolt on. Absolutely nothing fancy.

The S10 4x4 site has a forum for the swap, and they claim the project can be completed in an easy weekend. It took me six months from start to finish! twak.gif

Funny thing is, when I got done I felt an odd sense of loss. Like: "What do I do now?" :rolleyes:

What I did was start looking for another project... 2thumbs.gif

I have nearly the same situation as James: no wife or kids; a decent income, a house, and a Z that mostly just sits there. The sad part is that I bought a house primarily in order to be able to work on the Z – to have a big garage, to be away from neighbors who might get upset by electric grinders buzzing at night, to have a place to spread out my tools. But instead of working on the Z, I’m working on the house, fretting over the stock market, vegetating at work, and pinching every penny....

When I was in grad school, worrying about passing candidacy exams, building my laboratory setup, researching references, etc., there was somehow still time to work on cars. First my daily driver, then my Z. And that was back when I still had faith in the dating game, still went out with friends, occasionally day-traded stocks and even went to the beach. These days I don’t date, don’t go to bars, don’t trade stocks, live hundreds of miles from the nearest beach, have no exams to worry about, and lack even a token social life – but somehow the Z just sits there. Sometimes I wonder: if I spoke better Latin and wore a robe, I’d make a great monk.

No, neglecting the Z is not about time. At least, not merely time. Nor is it a matter of conflicted priorities or dissipative interests. It’s really a matter of – faith. Faith that this project makes sense. Faith that it isn’t a little boy’s delusion, that it’s worth making real, getting it on the road, making something of it. Faith that it isn’t a tight-underpants desire to be “faster” than some punk at a stop light.

Faith that wanting a fast Datsun is not Freudian angst over a small Johnson.

To a large extent, faith rests upon self-confidence. If one does not believe that he has the capacity to do the job, what chance is there for faith that the job would get done? What’s more, the process of doing the job becomes a struggle against second-guessing and timidity, not an enjoyment of the craftsman’s hobby.

Guest Anonymous

My Z projects are a way for me to shut out the rest of the world and give me peace of mind. I do not care if anything gets completed because the "dream" keeps my mind active.Always something new to learn and see.Always an exciting hunt for possibles. Problems to solve. Every once in a while and usually on a Sunday, I get a little done. Life would really be a rat race without my Z therapy.The only hobby I ever had that I really enjoyed.No one really has the time and I am not going to spoil my dream for lack of progress worrying about time.

I think what Micheal is going through, is the same anxiety I get near the end of every project I`ve ever started. You start to second guess yourself, wondering if you`ve done everything correctly. Even though I`ve literally completed hundreds of projects,(some big, some little)and I`ve been working on cars for over 18 years now. I still go through this at the end of every job. I think it makes me a better mechanic, because I pay closer attention to detail, and I follow the book. I don`t assume that I know it all, and I`m not afraid to ask questions. ;) As for Johnson size, not everyone with a fast car is lacking in that area(at least that`s what I keep telling myself) :rolleyes::D

Guest Aaron

I feel like I am never going to get started on the Z. I bought it 2.5 years ago and it has not moved from the spot where I unloaded it (at my Dad's house 1:20 away). I have finally started building my shop so I can build the Z. I have a wife, job, house on a full acre to keep up/upgrade (wife wants to remodel the kitchen and landscape this spring), I am partially taking over the grandparents farm, plus I play drums for a southern gospel group. On the farm, we have sold the cattle, but there always seems to be hay to bale, bush-hogging to do, equipment to upkeep, always something. The gospel group did 58 singings last year, and we are well on pace to hit that number again this year, plus we are recording a CD next month, so we are currently practicing 2 times a week instead of 1. It also seems that every time I get a day to work on the shop, we have either a 115 heat index, or rain. I feel like I can never get anything done.

Sorry to whine, but I just had to add my sad sob story to this thread. I am trying not to complain, because I know all the hard work and sacrifice will pay off in the long run. I try to keep my God as my first priority, so that everything else works itself out.

Dont worry about it Aaron, I bought mine back in 95 and still havent started yet. The only thing i have is a bare block 4 bolt main and a whole dash with gauges so, i parked the car in a 10x12 storage shed. I'm taking care of my elderly parents right now they are more important, so funds are short for any project and . I may beat Pete P. in his 12 yrs. It'll happen. smile.gif

I understand what you guys mean about no time. I have had my car 11 months, but looked for a decent one for about 1 year before I bought my 260. After I got the car last year so many things happened. The folks in one of my rental properties moved and my wife decided we would sell the house rather than rent again. They had been there almost 9 years. I replaced (all by myself!) all carpet and pad in both bedrooms, new floors in the kitchen and bathrooms, new shower kit, new sheetrock in laundry room. Then my wife decided she did not like the kitchen cabinets so all of that came out and I replaced it. No to mention I painted ever inch. The house went on the market 1 week before Sept. 11. Oh yeah, I got timing! Did all this work at night and on weekends. Last summer was great :confused:

Of course after it was done, my wife was like "wow this looks better than our house". I knew me and the Z were in trouble again. So then in our house, I put new ceramic tile in the kitchen and just finished hardwood floors (a first for me) thru the whole house except bedrooms. New carpet and paint soon. They turned out great, and I may put them in my office as well. We spent a lot, so when it comes to the Z, I'll have some leverage.

At least we sold our rental about 2 months ago, the guy paid cash! :D

Did I mention my 5 year old starts school next week?

No time??? What do you mean! smile.gif