HybridZ

Any of you with Dynomax Bullet mufflers? (Jersey you around?)

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Hey all.

Well after like 2 years now... fiiiiiinally it's coming close to the time where I have been able to set some money aside for my car, and am just about ready to finally go with a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust!!! Well, a long time ago Jersey from these boards make some suggestions to me for the parts to get and where to get them to really be able to do this on the cheap for about $100, which I definately want to stick with that plan. The muffler he recommended to me was one of these:

wlk-24215_m.jpg

Dynomax Bullet muffler 3" straight thru, for like $35. I wanted to ask... I mean... looking at the thing, I'm wondering if I should or should not even bother getting the typical chrome tip to add at the end of it. The way it looks in that pic... it looks like you could go w/o a tip and it would look okay. But this is something I need to decide on before I order the parts and take them down to get them welded, as the decision to use a tip or not would make a big difference in how i have the place the muffler... and once it's all welded on it would be a big PITA to change it around if I decided to go with a tip afterall. But I know I've seen honda kids running around with mufflers similiar to this w/o any extended chrome tip, and on them at least, it seems to look good to me.

So for any guys using this muffler or one very similiar to it, are you all running with or without a chrome tip, and if you'r running w/o a tip is there any chance you have a pic to show so I can see how it looks? Also, what about rust? I mean, will this muffler rust eventually and look like crap or no?

I'll be ordering this muffler from Summit, would they be a good place to get a tip from in 3" size as well?

Also (Jersey since I'm basically copying you on this one I'm really hoping you pitch in on this one) how about the sound? Do you guys like the sound? Is it very loud? Right now I"m just running a bastardized 2.5/3" crush bent exhaust thru one 2.5" glasspack (straight through design with the little fins that stick up into the airflow) and it's a little loud but not obnoxious, actually sounds pretty nice at idle, very throaty and muscle-y sounding. But I'm worried that with straight 3" and this big straight thru muffler it's gonna get a lot louder...

Lastly... I know this is a subjective question that probably no one could or would really answer, but what kind of difference do you think this upgrade will make? I know going straight 3" from stock is a HUGE improvment, upwards of 20hp in JeffP's case... but my exhaust is already a bit better than stock. It's 3" crush bent from the end of the stock downpipe to where the differential is, then goes down to 2.5" crush bent for the two bends, then thru the glasspack (please don't ask... it's a long story :D ). I'm not figuring on picking up any huge HP gains, but more importantly, I'm hoping to gain back a lot of the turbo response time that I lost when I installed the I/C last year... you guys think this will be enough to cut a few hundred RPM off my spool up time?

I run that dynomax bullet. I made a tip of my own that looks more like stock. I really like the sound. Everyone that has ridden in the car likes the sound. They always say that they didn't expect it to sound more like a muscle car than a rice grinder. It definitely gets loud when you are in full boost, full throttle. But I like it.

I've ran that muffler on a couple of NA cars. I doesn't do much really since it's very short and open. I was able to set off car alarms when driving through the parking lot with it. Might be enough on a turbo though. My favorite set up on a NA L6 is that muffler by the transmission and an ultraflow at the back.

It doesn't look that good. You can see the welds in it. You'll want a tip.

i hav a magnaflow on my v8 Z and it creates a nice mellow low tone, w/ almost no resonance, wich is nice, much better than the 3.5" single chamber flowmaster i had on it b4, that would rattle ur teeth.. only complaint i hav w/ the magna is that its almost to mellow, i would like a lil more tone defination, a lil more rumble out of the pipe... but if ur runnin a L6, i would say run a dynomax round race series muffler, sounds awesome, specially on a datsun L series. has a nice low bassy tone round idle, and raps up a bit at higher rpm's, but doesnt sound like a rice maching, it has a nice mix of everyting u mite want in an exhaust note, and its a straight through muffler, so would work great on a force inducted vehicle...

~®~

Guest bastaad525

guess I'll definately be putting a tip on there then... glad I asked I guess but was hoping I could save the $20 :( well at least they have the tip I'd want at one of the places I'd be ordering some of this stuff from anyways. I think this time I'll go for one of the tips with the 45* angle cut instead of one of the ones with the rolled-inward edges that I usually run.

Anyways I'm hoping this single muffler wont be any louder than the single glasspack I'm running as it's just on the border of too loud. If it gets the turbo spooling even a few hundred RPM faster that'd be good enough for me though.

Hey all. That is the same $35 Dynomax i'm using and don't think it's loud at all, then again, i'm only running the stock T3. It does sound a little louder on my cousins 280ZT which i built the same exhaust for front to back but he's running a T3/T4. I've had some comments that it doesn't sound at all like a 6cyl and they'd swear i was running an 8.

When i got done welding up the entire exhaust, the end of the Dynomax ended up even with the back of the Z so, i just cut a 5-6" piece of the 3" pipe i had left over from the exhaust and used it as a tip. I did cut it on a 45deg just for looks. I'm sure the chrome tip would look nicer but, i'm cheap and i know the chrome wouldn't make me any faster :)

Performance-wise... i couldn't tell you what kind of difference the muffler made by itself, if any, because i had made the 2.5" downpipe and full 3" exhaust at the same time and installed it at once. All together i think it really woke the Z up and allowed it to spool earlier and quicker. I will try an snap a pic of it today and post what it looks like. BTW - Happy Easter.

I have a pair on the V8z at the recommendation of other hybrid z'ers. They make it street legal, the cops weren't impressed though. I haven't got a ticket yet, but then I guess I should register the car and insure it too. Quiet, no, but it's better than open headers. They are about like the race flowmasters, but they don't produce the cabin drone sound, so I think they are better IMHO.

I love my dynomax 3" straight thru...I do have an exaust tip which quiets it perfect. Good rumble yet not obtrusive ....at times I don't even have my radio on it sounds soooooo good!

I even installed a 2 1/2" dynomax on my Fiat 4 cylinder its louder since it is N/A...I also use a tip although I think at my age I should add another straight thru to get it a tad bit quieter...When your Fiat car is louder than your sons then adjustments need to be made.