HybridZ

pcv valve??

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Okey i am putting a n42 non egr intake manifold on my 82 turbo engine and the pcv valve is in the way of the turbo outlet. Can someone who has done this please tell me what you did about the pcv valve? Please Help!

Move the PCV to the same location as the turbo PCV. I drilled mine and threaded it directly into the manifold.

I believe that "Blue's Links" at ZCar.Com shows my PCV relocation. The photos have been posted there a few times, if you search the Tech Forum there they should pop up. I don't have them on my hosting site yet (probably should put them up there) so I don't know the link offhand.

If you see the photos, it's pretty self explanatory.

It's no biggie, really easy to do. I just plugged the original PCV hole in the bottom of the manifold with a flush mounted socket headed NPT Plug---do not recall if I ran a chaser tap down the hole or if it went in on it's own. I do know I used Loctite PST on it, used a Brass Plug, and then Staked it around the periphery in three or four places. That relocation will also allow you to keep the stock Turbo PCV line which is important, as heater hose tends to collapse...

Good Luck. It's easy to fix, don't sweat it!

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Do i need the pcv valve? Could i put a breather on the pipe that comes off the block and plug the bottom of the intake? I dont know if that will work just an idea. Thanks

Guest 1977Fairladyz

I have to get the car done today. So i guess i will try my idea of putting a filter on the tube that comes out of the block. Anybody done this?

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Okay i just plugged the bottom of the intake and put a filter/breather on the tube coming out of the block. It runs the same so i guess it will work.

I wonder if the Bernoulli Principle would suck the valve open under boost. Works when you route the PCV to the exhaust. There is pressure in the exhaust but it will still pull vacuum in the crankcase.

Sounds possible. Seems like you would lose alot of boost that way.

I wonder if the Bernoulli Principle would suck the valve open under boost. Works when you route the PCV to the exhaust. There is pressure in the exhaust but it will still pull vacuum in the crankcase.

Was that Bernoulli? Bernoulli principle is why airplanes fly (P1 + V1^2 = P2 + V2^2 so as the air goes faster over the curved top of the wing the pressure lowers thus creating lift) but I'ld have to think more about that creating a venturi affect. I think they are different but it would cause my brain to hurt to think that hard so I wont and am too lazy to look it up. Anyway, standard atmospheric conditions are approx. 14.7 PSI absolute so boost higher than that and there would be no chance of opening the valve no matter how hard it sucked (perfect vacuum would be -14.7 PSI gauge). Now practically how much vacuum can a venturi from the exhaust produce - not sure but I bet it's not much more than a pound or two IMHO.

Cameron

Sounds possible. Seems like you would lose alot of boost that way.

Nah, because if there is enough suction to pull it open, then it would suck oily crap into the intake, not let the boost into the crankcase.

The only reason I think this happens is because I've seen what happens to a non-boosted engine with a plugged PCV. Leaks like a bastard. That's the blowby pressure pushing oil out of the seals. Seems like you'd have a lot more blowby on a turbo setup, which would mean the thing should leak like a seive if the PCV stays closed under boost. Or at least that's what I would expect to see.

Cameron, Bernoulli also explains why stewardesses get sucked out of the plane when it loses cabin pressure. The differential speed of the 600 mile per hour air outside of the plane vs inside the plane creates suction.

Nah' date=' because if there is enough suction to pull it open, then it would suck oily crap into the intake, not let the boost into the crankcase.

I was having a brain fart and thinking of it back wards. You know into the turbo intake and not from the crankcase. :icon11:

• 4 months later...