HybridZ

Might need a diaper before gettin on this....

Cruez

Guest Anonymous

I got to ride a 500 turbo honda, its a shame they used such a odd engine to try and turbo. The 500 V twin they used were good bikes but were really lacking low end torque which for a V-twin is rather odd. But the turbo version was worse, the compression was lowered and it was dog ass slow until the turbo kicked in then it accellerated pretty good, but only to about 750cc performance. So what you had was a bike that was terrible off boost, and lackluster on boost, it was a sales flop, they made a 650 version for a year or so later but it died as did the other makers turbo bikes. (Suzuki had the Katana turbo which wasn't bad, Kawasaki had a turbo ninja that was probably the best of the lot at 750 cc and yamaha had the 650 seca turbo which was ok, but again not all that). Its hard to beat the 600cc sport bikes these days IMHO for lightness, speed and quickness. The hyabusa IMHO is just to big and rediculously powerful for what it is, and its only for those who really must have the most powerful production (not specialty) bike made, beginners should be turned away from it immediately unless they want to die in a hurry.

A note on turbo bikes, one of the earliest and craziest was the Z-1 kawasaki with turbo kit, it was just flat insane, boost comes on and the wheel comes up, even in the taller gears on the freeway at 90. :eek: Nutty.

Regards,

Lone

Actually Yamaha and Kawasaki BOTH played with Turbos on bikes for a bit and they were very managable. However, that Hyabusa beast is a real mean quarter mile machine... No turns required.

My current street bike is a 1998 ZX9R is making about 132hp and I can actually stand it up in 1st through 5th at any time, and break traction, which is super scary... And My bike is a slow one compared to the new bikes. These new tech bikes are absolute beasts!!!!!!!

Mike

Guest Thurem

Man, the power doubles between 6 and 7Krpm and than doubles again between 7 and 8 Krpm. Fairly stock Hayabusas break chains fairly regularly. Whats this thing gonna do? Strip the teeth off the sprockets...

Thure

Thure, Good point... Buddy of Mine owns a fairly doscile Bandit1200 and just replaced a pair of BENT sprockets and a stretcjed chain... I was shocked to see how badly bent the rear was... Could you imagine what this BEAST would do??? Bet they are running a 530 conversion on it too to save rotating weight...

Mike

Guest SuperDave

You've brought back a fond memory for me. Back when the Kawasaki Turbos were in production, I rode an XS Eleven. It was no slouch, and I thought I had a handle on big-bore HP. A friend bought the Kawi, and we switched off for a bit one day.

It was kinda like going from a 'Vette to a well-executed 383 Hybrid Z. I wicked the thing up, and was introduced to a whole_new_category of acceleration which I'd never have believed existed. Damn near became incontinent. smile.gif

I really liked that Turbo.

Guest Anonymous

It would be nice to see them try the turbo scheme again, this time with a light sportbike say 400 cc's, a tiny turbo and fuel injection, intercooled with much boost. I think it would be a hoot. (or hell just make it a full 600cc and faagetabouttit.. :D )

As long as it was matched right, but a turbo coming on boost in the middle of a corner makes for some serious flat tracking on the street (fun, but dangerous in the wrong corner on the wrong sort of ground). I guess they figure why bother, they already get 100 hp out of 600 ccs if our Z's did that we'd be pushing 900+ hp (at 5.4 litres) :eek: !

Regards,

Lone