HybridZ

Anyone run these Yokohama's on their Z?

Got 'em... Love 'em!!

Previously I had Falken's on then, when it came to put on some new shoes I went for the ES100's.

They stick GREAT, seem to do well in wet weather, and are very cost effective. I doubt you'll have many complaints about them, especially for the price.

There is a guy that autocrosses an MR2 with those tires in our club. He really likes them. I was impressed how well the car handeled and how quiet the tires were for street tires (not much squeel). He sais they are the best bang for the buck in low cost performance tires.

I have not ridden in a car with them so I cannot comment on the road noise they make but as far as tread life, I never think about tread life when I look for performance tires. There really is not a long lasting performance tire out there. There are tires that look like performance tires and have a 40,000+ mile warrantee but the compound is hard and they will not handel well like performance tires. Performance tires are made to perform not last long. I had PZero's on a saab years ago that only lasted 12K miles but they stuck like glue. The Yoko's should last longer though their tread wear is 280 and the PZero's were 140.

If i could go with the Falken Azenis's, they would be my first choice but they don't make my size - 225/50/15. I guess i'll give the Yoko's a try because i really dont drive the Z in wet weather and if they stick pretty well with the weight of our Z's, treadwear really becomes secondary to me. Thanks again for everyones input.

My car had Yoko's on it when I bought it. (195/60/14s) The guy said they were only about a year old, but wore down really fast. I only drove the car about 2 hours on them.. felt pretty good though (was a warm spring day) but I had to replace two right away just to pass safety inspection.

Guest orange260z

Hey Jersey,

It seems that you have the same dilemma I just went through - trying to find a budget set of tires in 225/50R15. The ES100 was about CAD150/tire for me, but I had a budget closer to CAD100/tire. In fact, if I were to spend the money on the ES100, I would have gone to the A032R (hard compound) at CAD166/tire.

Instead, I went to a different size - 205/55R15 - and bought the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712. Yes, it's a little narrower... but the "55" results in an identical diameter, so the effect on the speedo and gearing are the same. With the turbo motor, I don't know if the additional tread width is important to you... our needs are not necessarily the same!

BTW, did you end up changing wheels? I decided to take the plunge and bought a brand-new set of Konig Rewinds in Graphite... I'm really happy with the result on my pumpkin orange car.

Best regards,

That 60 treadwear on the A032R will burn off a little too quick with my foot. I'm running 215's now and they're a little too thin for me. I'm trying to get the most surface contact i can with the widest tire possible under stock fenders and i think the 225's look just about right on the Z, just my opinion. If i could go wider, without spending a fortune for new wheels, coilovers...etc, i would.

I never did get new wheels unfortunately. It's not that i hate the 5 star, i just wanted something different. Maybe next tire change. Congrats on the new wheels and thanks for the info.

BTW - i like my pumpkin orange Z ;)

The 712's just liquify when the boost hits - I'm running 225/45/17's on the street right now.

Jersey - Are you running slicks at the track now? BFG G-force DR's come in 225/50/15.

My car's been known as the 'Killer Pumpkin' around town for years and years. HeHe.

Doug

lol... pumpkin killer. That's good. Yes, broke down last year and bought the exact G-Force DR's you mentioned. I only ran with them at the track once at the end of last year but they hooked awesome. My wife can't understand why i need new tires after 2 years when i dont drive the Z everyday... obviously she doesn't know what i do at the track right before i stage :) I really have to praise the Dunlop Sp5000 that i've ran for the last 2 years... got me good into the 12's and pretty darn good wear considering about 40-50 track runs logged.

Got 'em... Love 'em!!

Previously I had Falken's on then' date=' when it came to put on some new shoes I went for the ES100's.

They stick GREAT, seem to do well in wet weather, and are very cost effective. I doubt you'll have many complaints about them, especially for the price.[/quote']

I have to agree with Bill. Ive been running the ES100s for a couple of years (street use) and for the money, they are great tires. As mentioned, they won't last when pushed hard on a regular basis.....go figure....what performance tire does? I have 215-40 x 17" on the front and 235-40 x 17" on the rear. I use to run the A520 Yokohama's, which had a little bit better turn in but you of course noticed a harsher ride and more road noise transfered into the car. Buy'em.....

I dont know about the es100's. But I have a set of AVS intermediates, 225/50/zr16s on my saab, and they wear down pretty fast, bought the suckers in bulk a while back though, and they were real cheap :-)

John, let's get serious.....did you really think you were going to get mileage out of a set of intermediates......NOT!!!