HybridZ

Bad Damper?

evildky

working on my car I noticed the damper looks a bit weatehred, I painted it back when I did my swap, I am running the 240 damper but the rubber seal seems to be peeling out, has anyone had one fail? just wondering if I should be worried or not

If you suspect it at all, replace it. Was car number two in a four car pack and I saw something fly out of the engine compartment of the ITS 240Z I was right behind. It flew over my car and went through the front windshield of car number three in the pack. Car number three braked hard, car number four rear ended car number three, and both spun off the track. Meanwhile car number one started smoking real bad and pulled off the track. By the time the fire crews got there car number one had burned up the entire engine compartment.

One failed balancer took out three cars...

If I were to put together another Z car L6 motor' date=' and especialy if I were going to run it above normal Z car redline, I'd be buying a ATI damper....

My problem I think had alot to do also with it being a LD28 crank, and being spun to 7,300 rpm with a air con belt being used... :eek:[/quote']

Don't know if you guys saw my posts, but I just mounted an ATI damper on my car. They custom machined the hub for it at cost of $150, and it seems to be working great. Mine has a 4" pulley, but I beleive they can make it larger if need be.

I guess this is a good a place as any...

I'm disassembling the ROD's engine because someone bought the block and all the internals. The buyer doesn't want the ATI Super Damper and Gilmer belt drive setup, so its for sale as a unit. ATI Super Damper for the Nissan L28, Moroso Gilmer pully, water pump with Moroso Gilmer pulley, 280ZX single wire alternator with brackets and a Moroso Gilmer pulley, and a Gilmer belt. The whole setup for $450 plus shipping and sales tax if you're in CA. FYI... Summit lists the damper at $419.95 new.

damperpulley.jpg