HybridZ

drove the car with TO4E upgrade

I finished my hybrid turbo upgrade on Saturday. I got a good scare when I started it up. Let it run for about 5 minutes at idle like directions said. Then revved it up a bit and the fan belt squealed(think I dripped some coolant on it). I thought the compressor ground out, I hate it when you get in that mode where you expect stuff to happen. I took it for a drive with the MBC still set like it was with stock T3. It was set to 14 psi before and everything worked great, ran 14psi with new turbo. Spool seems to be in the same neighborhood as before, if it changed any couldn't be 200rpm. The new turbo has 10 degree clipped T3 turbine. The new turbo pulls harder all the way to 6000rpm. Ran against my rev limiter for the first time. The car is faster by quite a bit(gtech shows around 40hp gain at same boost, does that seem reasonable with no other upgrades?). It will break the tires loose on pavement when the turbo hits in second gear now, didn't do that before. I am happy with the upgrade. Since I am at such a high altitude I am going to raise it up to 17psi which should be more like 14psi at sea level. BTW, I didn't have to retune anything in megasquirt after the upgrade. No ping and AFRs look good. I took it on a good 60 mile drive into town and everything seems solid.

Congrats on the upgrade. Isn't it sweet to be able to break the tires loose without having to drop the clutch. What numbers did the gtech give you? I still have to gtech my Z. I dont have many level roads with low traffic patterns.

• 1 year later...

mobythevan after u installed your hybrid turbo charger did u have to re adjust your air flow meter ? i need to know becuase i installed a to4e hybrid turbo charger and my car starts but revs normaly at 900 rpm then drops to 200 then back up to 500 rpm then dies the only way to keep it alive is to keep my foot on the petal.

Check to make sure that the boot from your AFM to turbo is not split. (assuming you are using stock ZXT setup)

When I had my T3/T4 installed (living in a condo - no place to work), the Z shop that did the work had to trim the boot. When they did it, they cut the spring inside the boot that keeps it from collapsing too far back, and I developed a split in that area - on the underside where it wasn't obvious!

A trip to a Z yard got another for $25, and I did it the correct way - no problems now.

Since he's using the stock ecu/afm, no adjustment needed - if he were running speed density - definitely!

I still think it is the afm to turbo boot - any hybrid I've seen you have to cut the boot back to enlarge the opening, and to do that you have to cut the spring.

My car acted EXACTLY like he is saying - after you're off idle and accelerating you didn't know there was a problem....