HybridZ

Painted the center's of my wheels

blueovalz

Guest Aaron

Looks good. Are they the same color as the car? It looks to be a little darker, but it could be the pics. I have always liked a wheel with at least a little of the car's color in it.

I had thought about powdercoating, but my compressor motor finally gave up the ghost, so the powdercoating money had to go into a new compressor motor. Thus I went the cheaper route (especially since these centers are so "deep", which will help reduce and potential chipping problems) and painted them. What I used was a Valspar DTM 2K epoxy product (DTM...Direct To Metal) instead of the acid wash. I blasted the wheels with a medium called "black beauty" which is an awesome fine medium which I believe is a coal slag product). Then I sprayed the DTM primer (2 part), The base coat (a dark charcoal/blue metallic), and then a clearcoat. The masking took most of the time as the painting was done in one afternoon. I tested some of this on a piece of aluminum, and it adheres very well. The shop salesman said this was what a lot of shops use to paint aluminum body panels.

how about some close ups...

Caps are not finished yet.

standard.jpg

Terry....is that overspray on your tires?!! :shock::icon52: tsk tsk.....gonna have to do some hard cornering now to scrub them :-D

The wheels look fantastic!!!

One comment, though....the area forward of the front wheels seems to be quite a large open expanse of body panel....have any plans to break it up a bit, or are you going for the super sleek look?

As always :hail::hail::cheers:

Terry,

Those wheels are awesome, and as always, the quality of the work is beyond description. Thanks for setting my project back at least a month. (Every time I see a picture of your car I can't bear to look at mine for at least a week.:):):) )

Joe

Terry....is that overspray on your tires?!!

I know! Is that not wierd how the light reflecting off the paint does that. After I looked at the photo, I had to go back out to the car and actually LOOK at the tire to make sure it was not as it seemed.

Nice point on the front Tim. I remember thinking the same thing back when it was primered, but it never crossed my mind again (Hmmmm, I think something could be done here without damaging the paint....).

I blasted the wheels with a medium called "black beauty" which is an awesome fine medium

So, how did you blast them without wrecking the finish on the "lip"? What kind of tape did you use? After my powder coating aluminum wheels thread, I was thinking of how to tape the wheels off. I was thinking of using some 3M painters tape on the inboard and outboard sides of the wheel, then put a layer of HVAC foil tape near the wheel centers to avoid abrasion from blasting it or from sand paper. How did you do it? Now I'm thinking that painting the wheels centers with DTM epoxy might be the easiest way to go about this. Please let us know how it holds up.

Nice point on the front Tim. I remember thinking the same thing back when it was primered, but it never crossed my mind again (Hmmmm, I think something could be done here without damaging the paint....).

Well, if we don't hear from you for a few days, we'll know what you're up too. :wink:

!M!