HybridZ

240Z two different types of rear sway bars.?

240Z two different types of rear sway bars.? I noticed that my 1971 z had the sway bar behind the diff, Is this stock? I notice that other Z cars have the sway bar in front of the diff (newer?). I need to know as I have clearance issues.

the smaller bar is suspension techniques unit, it uses modified rear crossmember brackets (you know, the ones teh curved rear diff crossmember bolts to, and I'm not talking about the diff mount crossmember).

The larger bar is the MSA/ADDCO unit that bolts to the frame in front of the diff, and you have to drill out holes behind the seats to mount it.

I would try to keep the rear mounted bar if you can. My front mounted bar bound sometimes. I think this problem has to do with the bracket location. The later 260 and 280's had a completely different mounting point than the MSA, ADDCO, or Nismo 240 bars and they apparently didn't have the binding problem. The Suspension Techniques or BRE bar (the one you have), binds also, but if you space it back away from the uprights 3/4" that solves the binding issue. What's the clearance issue? Is there any other way to work around it?

I ran the fuel lines along the rocker panel for safety. They run in the channel where the sway bars go. The rear mount may be a better option. I just need to know who sells the rear mounted type.

I would try to keep the rear mounted bar if you can. My front mounted bar bound sometimes. I think this problem has to do with the bracket location. The later 260 and 280's had a completely different mounting point than the MSA, ADDCO, or Nismo 240 bars and they apparently didn't have the binding problem....

I agree with Jon.

On my early 260Z I had binding with my front mounted rear bar. In addition it would wear out the plastic end link bushings on a regular basis.

The rear mounted bar is much better in this respect. Just keep in mind that the rear mounted bar is shorter in effective length than the front. This has the effect of making the bar appear to be slightly larger in diameter. In other words, a 7/8" rear mounted bar will allow more weight transfer (increase oversteer) than a 7/8" front mounted bar.

The only problem with the rear mounted bar is the lack of clearance with the 280ZX CV axles.