HybridZ

Spring welding? Spring Helpers.

I am going to the autox with my stock everything suspension and tokico set on 5 with 44 psi in all tires. The car rolls like crazy and I can not get a full set of good sway bars in time so, someone said I can weld the spring coils together. As in 2 or 3 coils. I am getting new springs eventually. So I do not care about these. What do you think?

I don't know what that's going to do for you other than keep the car from rolling by binding the coils. Plus I'd be scared to weld them on the car for fear of splatter damaging the Illuminas.

Autox is usually a monthly thing. Just go and have fun with the body roll, then add your new parts and go back again. That way you'll really feel the difference with your new parts.

I am going to the autox with my stock everything suspension and tokico set on 5 with 44 psi in all tires. The car rolls like crazy and I can not get a full set of good sway bars in time so, someone said I can weld the spring coils together. As in 2 or 3 coils. I am getting new springs eventually. So I do not care about these. What do you think?

As a mechanical engineer, you should know the answer! Welding springs is a no no. They will eventually fail at the edge of the weld, not to mention changing the temper in the coils. Even if you weld the coils together, it will not improve your roll situation to any great degree, but it will limit the travel. Coil bind is not a desired suspension function.

The answer to your question is no, you can't weld springs. There is no help for an incorrect spring except replacement with the correct spring. That applies to rate, length, diameter and number of coils.

You should wash out your mouth with soap and go to bed without dinner.

It depends on what you can do in your stock class. In SCCA you can't do anything to the coils. Some local clubs allow a little more and you could try and use packers but I seriously doubt these would help. My experience with them is that they generally lead to unpredictable handling if you get into them on a corner.

Another option would be to use droop limiting. Probably not legal either but can help to keep the car from rolling as much. And if you really want to use the stock springs you can limit droop and preload them with shims. But since you're going to have to pull all this apart why not just put in more appropriate springs?

Cary