HybridZ

Isn't the Z Just another Form of "Rice?"

TomoHawk

IMHO I dont mind Rice when it is functional.

But to put a rear wing on a FWD vehicle is not functional: it is theatre w/out function.

I would like to think that the HybridZ never becomes Theater. I sincerely hope there are no HybridZ'ers out there putting stickers on your Z in an attempt to make your car go faster...that is not function-it is theater. Theater isnt interested in function but entertainment.

I prefer to get my entertainment by beating my oponent at the stop light drag strip: entertainement thru function...not theater.

Mike Knell-who followed on the ScarabZ & improved the idea wasnt interested in Theatre, rather, they, Scarab Inc and Mike Knell, were only interested in the idea of complete and total function. I also believe, that is what HybridZ is all about; improving on Mike Knell's idea.

I believe, the "Rice" term, doesnt apply to function...as there are some really really fast import tuners out there-I would not refer to those as Rice but as Rodders; maybe I'm wrong here but that is my .02c's worth.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

No. Here's why...

The Zcar was originally designed after many of the low slung, rear drive, GT cars of the late 50's and into the 60's. None of the "RICE" we associate that stereotype with these days has anything remotely close to the Z... No rear drive, IRS, Long hood, wide curved windshield... I could go on and on... Quite frankly, it is like comparing a 1974 VW bug to a 1974 Lincoln Town Car, and then classefying both as luxury sedans...

Mike Kelly puke.gif

Rice represents as much an attitude as it does a product. With the classic sports car lines (long hood, and passenger seats nearly sitting on the rear axle) that the Z has, it is, in it's own right, "different". It's like the term "muscle car". This term is generally accepted to mean the old '60s and '70 V8 American sedans. Yes, there are imports now days that can perform as well as the old muscle cars did in a straight line, but we don't call the newer cars "muscle cars". I would also like to inject an opinion (imagine that!) that in the old days, we let the car's performance speak for itself when it came to bragging rights. Now days it appears the number of stickers on a car, or the license plate bravado, barks louder than the bite does. This difference in communicating our car's self worth on the street seems to me, to be the point in time at which the term "rice" really started to take off. There, that's my story and I sticking to it!

I've always considered the Z as Datsun's attempt at designing a TRUE European Touring Sports Car that was both marketable to the European & American markets; and IMHO they, Datsun, hit the "GT" mark right on the Bulls-eye.

I would have to agree with the other comments that a Z is not the typical stereotype of "Rice".

The Z is completely functional for its purpose-to take on the twisty roads w/out modifications.

I also believe that for somthing to be "Riced" it has to have rediculous non-funtional items placed on it. The Z on its own is very functional-with the added transplant of a powertrain or boosting the original power train; the Z is even more functional.

The Z is a GT car; is it not? At least that is how I have always thought of the Z.

Has "Rice" even been put in a defintion by the expert's...by experts I mean the auto industry's dept's that test, drive, write & present mfg's & rodder's ideologies to the public?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Originally posted by inZane 240:

All the ricers in my town think its cool so I consider it, as stupid as this might sound, old and elegant rice... :rolleyes:

That's what's cool about my experiences driving/showing my V8Z. The old and young hot/street rodder people and the young guys that drive japanese and riced cars of all kinds dig it. There are some stalwart muscle car guys that just see it as japanese junk though.

Originally posted by Owen:

So is it rice if I put an emblem from a 350Z on my 1973 240Z???

Owen

That depends on whether you're talking about using the Z emblem, or the "350Z" badge. Using the Z emblem would not be rice, since you are indeed driving a Z. The 350Z badge would be rice, since unless things have changed recently, your engine displaces 383 cubic inches. A 350cid car could wear it, though. Rice is all about bragging about things you don't really own, but want people to think you do. It's bluff, done poorly. ugg.gif

Now the curious part is, Reverse Rice is COOL! If you put a Z32 twin turbo engine into your Maxima, then slap on Diesel emblems, that's very, very chill, dontcha think? (I guess on that basis, you COULD justify using the 350Z badge, huh?)

Oh, and to answer the original question, early Z's are NOT rice, because they were (are) authentic. Making a car try to be something it ain't is rice.

Stock Honda = Japanese.

Stock Honda with wings, spoilers, and stickers = Rice.

This post = my opinion. :D

If 'rice' incorporates useless accessories, them (most) amoerican cars with the 'sport' package qualify. I mean those useless "spoilers" on the trunk that don't add ANY downforce, and are only good for attracting dirt & rust. Add to that the luggage rack on the roofs of the 'sport package' cars. Does the luggage rack make your car go faster, or any thing at all?

Add to that the tinting strips across windsheilds with the make or model of the car on it. If you don't know the make or model, go shopping & find out! I have a strip of tint on my windsheild, but it's plain with no lettering. It's there to block the sun.

what other useless accesories to the put on 'American" cars?

i dont think they can put the 70-78 z cars into the same category as other japanese cars of the same time, they arent around anymore in big numbers, z's are. im not into putting funny badges on my car, saw a del sol with a GTR badge and a wing higher than his roofline-and he looked bad.... 350z badges would be ok, but i think thats pretty ricey. i dont think rice is a derogatory term neccesarily either, kids around here know that the 240z is the original japanese car that started the import craze, its only natural i think to see it as the godfather of the rice rocket craze. after turbo magazine hit, everyone was asking if my v8 z was turbo-now that they see the turbo car, they gawk even more-they think i just painted my v8 car and added a turbo-

i think the fear stops them from racing me-which is good because i dont think i can beat the big boys

supras, rx7 and 300zx's with my t3 like the 327 would. cry2.gif

Guest Anonymous

"Isn't the Z Just another Form of "Rice?" "

I have seen some riced out Z's, but to answer your question, IMO, no.

"useless accessories, them (most) amoerican cars with the 'sport' package qualify. I mean those useless "spoilers" on the trunk that don't add ANY downforce, and are only good for attracting dirt & rust. Add to that the luggage rack on the roofs of the 'sport package'"

Its just my opinion, but I don't consider factory options on cars ricey 99% of the time. There may be a few, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Remember the Superbirds with the huge wing on the back?,...that looked cool as hell! Supra's, Lambos, even some newer Eclipses have big tails (and many others), but to me they look tasteful to a point(OEM). I have seen some tricked out hondas that looked good to me, but the fart cans and 3 ft high spoiler on the back of a 4 dr. accord with 20" rims and stickers across the hood? Ah, no.

I too, think rice is an attitude more than anything else, but to each his own ;)

Regards,

Tom

I doubt the automakers would even use that term, at least here at Honda they don't.

I agree that the Z is not rice but can be made into it by what you do to it (as Tim240Z refers to my 5-inch exhaust tip rockon.gif ).

So is it rice if I put an emblem from a 350Z on my 1973 240Z???

Owen

The term "rice" has been around a long time and it generally refers to any Japanese vehicle. I remember Harley guys from the early 1970s referring to Honda 750s as "rice burners." Its traditionally been a derogatory term when referring to the vehicle (rice burner, riced out, etc.) and when referring to the person (ricer, rice head, white rice, brown rice, yellow rice, etc.)

With the increased respectability that Japanses cars and racers have achieved the derogatory aspect of the term regarding the vehicle have decreased. Its still a derogatory term when referring to a person.