HybridZ

Does anyone make adjustable sway bars for the 240Z?

The only manufacturer I've found who is currently making adjustable bars is Saner Performance. I emailed them three times, they totally ignored me, so I moved on. My plan now is to take the bars I have, cut the ends off and weld new ends with holes onto them. I've had a couple friends do this in the past with good results, and Terry did something similar with his rear bar ends to use his short little end links.

You are going to need adjustable end links reguardless of how you make the bar adjustable. I have seen people weld flat bar under the sway bar with holes drilled into it along the way. Looks like a cheep way to do it. You could also do as John says and cut the end of and use a pinch slider type arangement.

Douglas

Guest JAMIE T

The way ZROSSA said to do it is the most common method. That's what I'm going to do also for the rear of my car. I want it to grip real well, but slide when I want to. So being able to make the bar stiffer for sliding would be cool. I'm going to make the first hole, the one closest to the end, in the stock location. The two more about and inch apart. for a total of three. The first one will be stock stiffness, the second alittle stiffer, and the third even stiffer.

Going to post this idea for a while. If you have access to an oxy torch setup and a stick welder its not hard to make your own anti sway bars.

Round spring steel is available from spring makers but I got some from a maker of truck tailgate return springs, offcuts, cheap as. Bend to shape with the oxy torch, weld on you custom made end brackets using an appropriate rod. In Oz thats Weldall, a stainless steel rod, beautiful.

This particular rear bar did a round trip of 2600 km on bumpy roads with stiff suspension, no problem. No heat treatment or otherwise except as described, beauty :)

Where does one go to find the racing type bars (spring bar with splined ends like Nascar uses)? I've googled my head off, and Speedway is the only source I've found, and their shortest bar is 32", which is too long for what I want. If seen where these are used on some Porsche models, but this was not a lot of help either.

Pretty much any circle track place will have the splined bars. I did a quick search and found this: http://www.stockcarproducts.com/susp21.htm and they note that there is a $25 surcharge for custom lengths. I looked into this a bit too, the problem I had was that I could not find arms bent out to fit like our bars are. They were all straight. I guess if you made your own ends they would work, you're a bit more experienced in the fabrication dept...

Perfect Jon! I called them and it seems they can help me with what I want. My car is not as neutral as I'd like and rather that soften the front any more than it is now, I'm going to stiffen the rear a bit more with a bit more bar (you know how it is, I just can't quit tinkering with this thing!)

Perfect Jon! I called them and it seems they can help me with what I want. My car is not as neutral as I'd like and rather that soften the front any more than it is now, I'm going to stiffen the rear a bit more with a bit more bar (you know how it is, I just can't quit tinkering with this thing!)

Have you tried changing the rake to balance the car? Lower the end you want to stick more or raise the other -- keeping in mind where things work best on these cars. You might be surprised at the results.

Cary

I'm at a point on the front that I don't wish to go any further down. The issue is that when I changed the suspension for the street, I "built in" some understeer. Unfortunately, it ending up being more than I like, and I'm wanting to get it a little looser. Stance is perfect so I don't want to fool with that.